Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

going to court

I've spent the last 6 weekdays in court. I was sued over an auto accident 3 years ago. The case was filed a year ago, it's been in the works since then. In essence, my insurance company doesn't believe the treatment and lack thereof of the guy suing me.

I had to be in court, even though I didn't testify and had no financial liability (that is covered by the insurance company, even though it is over the policy limit). I've discovered that being a defendant is only slightly less boring than being a juror. The only advantage is that you get to be there for some of the stuff that is done outside the presence of the jurors.

And then in August I get to report for jury duty and go through this again.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

What would it take to get you out of it? Cause I'll do it if you want me to.

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

In LA County, there is almost no getting out of jury duty. I've been in the jury assembly room when a judge is there for jury duty. He'll never be impaneled, but he gets no exemption.

I've been lucky, it's been about 2.5 years since I've been called. They can call you once a year. We have a one day/one trial system. You are called for a specific week. You call in each night to see if they need you the next day. When you go, if you aren't on a jury or in the voir dire process by the end of the day, you're done. If you get on a case, you go to the end of trial. You get paid nothing for day one (possibly mileage). You get $15/day (plus mileage one way) for subsequent days. This is an improvement, a few years ago it was $5/day, hardly worth cashing the check. And by the way, there is a line on a 1040 for jury pay, so you have to give a percentage of this to the feds. My wife's company requires you give them your jury pay since they are paying you for the day. However, since her last one was $15, they figured she could keep it since it would take more than $15 to do the paperwork.

The good news is that all the courthouses are very close to libraries, so you can go have a quiet place to sit and read during the 90 (or more) hour lunch period.

If nothing else, jury duty (and being a defendant) has some educational value. You learn that it's not at all like tv and movies. Each question is a small baby step. To get to the question that they want to ask, they have to ask 5-10 questions to set the foundation for the question. (Were you aware that there was a report written by dr. x? How did you become aware of it? Did you read that report? Did you form an opinion about the report? What was that opinion?)

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Wow, I bet you get a LOT of reading done during a 90 hour lunch break! :lol:

I'm 30, and have never once been called for jury duty. It's one of my personal favorite streaks...

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."