Sign in to follow this  
Nick Alexander

Oscars 2004: Pre- AND Post-Oscar Discussion

Any opinions?

http://www.oscar.com/nominees/nomineelist.html

Surprises: Keisha Castle Hughes, City of God, Samantha Morton

Snubs: Cold Mountain, Last Samurai, House of Sand & Fog, Scarlett Johansen!

Thoughts? Anyone?

Nick

(Mod: Here is a link to the PA&F Oscar Polls Index page.)

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

Wow. LotR wasn't nominated for best cinematography! :aeh:

And, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I was hoping for a nod for Sean Astin. I mean, I pretty much knew it wouldn't happen, but I still had a little hope.

Glad to see that there were some surprises, though, and it won't just be a repeat of the Globes.

Diane

What an odd set of nominations:

Lost in Translation gets Picture, Director, Actor, and, um, Screenplay -- huh? -- but nothing for Scarlett.

Keisha Castle Who?

I assume they were lenient on the spelling of Shohreh Aghdashloo's name when counting ballots.

The two most acclaimed docs of the year -- if one is not quite as loved by this group -- actually got nominations; there must not have been any Holocaust films among the semifinalists.

I like two of the original song nods (the Wind and the Burnett); I haven't even liked one since Aimee in '00.

No cinematog for Lord of the Rings, despite the much more cinematically mundane Seabiscuit getting a nomination.
  • And, the least surprising development: I continue my now-seven-year streak of not liking any of the Best Picture nominees enough to give any of them an A or an A-.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Best Picture

''The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King''

''Lost in Translation''

''Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World''

''Mystic River''

''Seabiscuit''

Wow! No "Cold Mountain"!

Best Actor

Johnny Depp, ''Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl''

Ben Kingsley, ''House of Sand and Fog''

Jude Law, ''Cold Mountain''

Bill Murray, ''Lost in Translation''

Sean Penn, ''Mystic River''

Wow! No Paul Giamatti! No Russell Crowe!

Best Actress

Keisha Castle-Hughes, ''Whale Rider''

Diane Keaton, ''Something's Gotta Give''

Samantha Morton, ''In America''

Charlize Theron, ''Monster''

Naomi Watts, ''21 Grams''

WHERE'S SCARLETT??!!!!

Best Supporting Actor

Alec Baldwin, ''The Cooler''

Benicio Del Toro, ''21 Grams''

Djimon Hounsou, ''In America''

Tim Robbins, ''Mystic River''

Ken Watanabe, ''The Last Samurai''

No acting awards for Lord of the Rings... ever. ALAS.

No Peter Sarsgaard??!! No Paul Bettany??!!

Best Supporting Actress

Shohreh Aghdashloo, ''House of Sand and Fog''

Patricia Clarkson, ''Pieces of April''

Marcia Gay Harden, ''Mystic River''

Holly Hunter, ''Thirteen''

Ren

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I like two of the original song nods (the Wind and the Burnett); I haven't even liked one since Aimee in '00.

I'm rooting for Triplets of Belleville. That is perhaps the most infectious ditty I've heard since I don't know when...

Nick

Nick Alexander

Best Documentary Feature

''Balseros''

''Capturing the Friedmans''

''The Fog of War''

''My Architect''

''The Weather Underground''

No \"Winged Migration\"? And of course, we all know that \"Stevie\" deserves to be here... and to win!

Jeffrey.. Winged Migration was nom'd last year.

My question... wasn't City of God nominated for best foreign film last year?

Nick

Nick Alexander

Best Picture  

''The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King''  

''Lost in Translation''  

''Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World''  

''Mystic River''  

''Seabiscuit''

Wow! No \"Cold Mountain\"!

And no \"In America.\" I was hoping. Glad to see it got some attention in other categories. But no Emma nom for ...

Best Supporting Actress  

Shohreh Aghdashloo, ''House of Sand and Fog''  

Patricia Clarkson, ''Pieces of April''  

Marcia Gay Harden, ''Mystic River''  

Holly Hunter, ''Thirteen''  

Ren

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

My question... wasn't City of God nominated for best foreign film last year?

Last year's foreign language films:

El Crimen del Padre Amaro -- Mexico

Hero -- People's Republic of China

The Man without a Past -- Finland

Nowhere in Africa -- Germany (winner)

Zus & Zo -- The Netherlands

However, City of God was nominated in last years Golden Globes.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Best Foreign Language Film:

''The Barbarian Invasions''

''Evil''

''The Twilight Samurai''

''Twin Sisters''

''Zelary''

This is puzzling beyond belief, they must get sent a strange set of screeners for this category. It is cool to see no less than TWO films shot on digital up for some of award: Thirteen and Pieces of April.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I'm trying to dig up dirt on Seabisquick to see if there's any dirt that might disqualify it from candidicy. Like maybe the horse posed nude when it was a struggling philly. It seems everywhere this sappy, crappy film is nosing in, its nosing out a very worthy contender. Best example, NEMO out of Best Picture

This is puzzling beyond belief, they must get sent a strange set of screeners for this category.

They do get strange picks here. Keep in mind that only one film from each country is submitted by that country, so the home country film community politics come into play for what can even be considered. Then a group of academy members go to special screenings of submitted films. That group picks the nominees.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I must say, I'm pleased as punch that "Twilight Samurai" got nominated for Best Foreign Film (probably even moreso than when I found out "Hero" was nominated last year). Wonderful, moving little drama that's almost the complete antithesis of "The Last Samurai"'s big epic-ness. I'd love to see this one win, if only because of my predilection for Asian cinema. biggrin.gif

And wow, Ken Watanabe as Best Supporting Actor? I kind of like the sound of that...

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

And now, a moment of silence for the tragic loss of "Millenium Actress" to the undeserving "Brother Bear" in the Best Animated Feature category...

Okay. I feel better now.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Yahoo Trivia:

The best picture nomination for \"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King\" marks the second time all three films in a trilogy have been so honored, following nods for the first two \"Lord of the Rings\" installments in 2001 and 2002. \"The Godfather\" films in 1972, 1974 and 1990 each received a best picture nomination.  

The nomination for 13-year-old Keisha Castle-Hughes in \"Whale Rider\" makes her the youngest lead actress nominee to date. Isabelle Adjani (news) was 20 when she was nominated for 1975's \"The Story of Adele H.\" Younger players have been nominated in the actor, supporting actor and supporting actress categories, with the youngest being 8-year-old Justin Henry for supporting actor in 1979's \"Kramer vs. Kramer.\"  

\"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King\" received 11 nominations, but none for acting, making it the first time a film has received that many nominations without any acting recognition.  

Sofia Coppola (news) is the first American woman to be nominated for directing. Other nominated women directors include Lina Wertmuller (news) of Italy for 1976's \"Seven Beauties,\" and Jane Campion (news) of New Zealand for 1993's \"The Piano.\"  

If Sofia Coppola wins an Oscar in any of the three categories in which she's nominated (directing, original screenplay and picture), it would make her the second third-generation Oscar-winner, following grandfather Carmine Coppola and father Francis Ford Coppola (news). The first family members to achieve this generational feat were Walter, John and Anjelica Huston (news).

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

David Poland responds, and he calms my typical post-announcement temper tantrum by pointing out the many remarkable developments in this year's nominations.

CLICK HERE.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

More interesting, but useless, trivia:

This is the first year since 1994 that all five best actress nominees are in movies not nominated for best picture.

It's also the first year that the majority of the Best Picture nominations don't have acting honors.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Ngila Dickson has two nominations in the same category: Best Costume Design, for both Samurai and ROTK. Has that happened before?

Actually yes, though I'm not sure if my example is the most recent or the only one, but I had this same question a couple of years ago when Sandy Powell was nominated for Costume Design for two separate movies: Velvet Goldmine and Shakespeare in Love. (She won for the latter)

All great art is pared down to the essential.
--Henri Langlois

Movies are not barium enemas, you're not supposed to get them over with as quickly as possible.

--James Gray

We can all hope that we'll get a live performance of Levy and O'Hara's "Mighty Wind" song during the ceremony. That's reason enough to watch!

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

We can all hope that we'll get a live performance of Levy and O'Hara's \"Mighty Wind\" song during the ceremony. That's reason enough to watch!

Yes, but will a world-wide audience get the joke about the _kiss_? Will the whole world, in breathless anticipation, pause for just one moment, between the time the song breaks and the kiss occurs? Will they be held in rapturous attention?

That thought alone is actually kinda funny. But I believe wholeheartedly that major-studio moviegoers will look at the screen and go... "whassupwidat?"

In all fairness, they would be doing that the whole evening, methinks.

Nick

Nick Alexander

I'm trying to dig up dirt on Seabisquick to see if there's any dirt that might disqualify it from candidicy.  Like maybe the horse posed nude when it was a struggling philly.  It seems everywhere this sappy, crappy film is nosing in, its nosing out a very worthy contender. Best example,  NEMO out of Best Picture

Thank you, Dan. I was just starting to think that maybe i was wrong -- me, of all people -- in skipping out on "Pleasantville-boy rides the Black Beauty for cash." But you have calmed me down, and i am holding fast to my previous statement, "I will never see that film." (Now, if it wins, which i don't think is a possibility, but IF, i may have to revise that statement...) (either that or completely disassociate myself from anything that resembles an Academy Award or starts with the letter O)

''The Barbarian Invasions''  

''Evil''  

''The Twilight Samurai''  

''Twin Sisters''  

''Zelary''  

This is puzzling beyond belief, they must get sent a strange set of screeners for this category.

All of my Swedish buddies have been talking about Evil, so i can live with that. And it's fun to see Arcand get the nod.

Have not heard of the rest of these films, and as a lover of foreign film, i HATE that. <<FREAKING ETHNOCENTRIC DISTRIBUTORS>>

And why isn't City of God here if its everywhere else?

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

(M)Leary wrote:

: It is cool to see no less than TWO films shot on digital up for some of

: award: Thirteen and Pieces of April.

Thirteen was shot digitally? Huh, don't remember noticing that.

Yahoo Trivia wrote:

: The nomination for 13-year-old Keisha Castle-Hughes in "Whale Rider"

: makes her the youngest lead actress nominee to date. Isabelle Adjani

: was 20 when she was nominated for 1975's "The Story of Adele H."

Really? No teens have EVER been nominated in this category before? Wow.

And congratulations to T-Bone Burnett for what I assume is his first Oscar nomination.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Stef,

Seabiscuit shouldn't be nominated for Best Picture... there's no question of that. But it ISN"T a bad movie. I was surprised and impressed by quite a bit of it. Chris Cooper and Jeff Bridges are reason enough to see it.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.