Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The iPhone

70 posts in this topic

However, there are limits. I just discovered that there's no obvious way to type square brackets...

It may not be obvious, but push the .?123 key, and then push the #+= key and you will have all the brackets you need. [[[]]]

FYI, the message has been posted from my iPhone.

Ah, thanks, TexasWill. I figured there was a way to do it, but I'm only just learning how it works.

It's remarkable how quickly you improve at typing with just two fingers while holding the iPhone with your thumbs and middle fingers.

Is everyone already familiar with David Lynch's choice words about watching films on devices such as the iPhone? (Warning: Strong language)

Is everyone already familiar with David Lynch's choice words about watching films on devices such as the iPhone? (Warning: Strong language)

I'm not sure who of consequence would want to argue with that. Most people only upload movies to the device that they've already seen either at the theaters or on their big screen TV. Others are ubergeek types who probably enjoy the novelty of it all.

Now, I have seen a mother use Ratatouille on her iPhone to entertain her child at the airport. By the same token, when I'm on a shoot in the middle of nowhere with no TV, no entertainment, etc. It's nice to know that I've got the option if I want it. Hasn't happened yet, but there was a production with those qualities that I was preparing for. It was cancelled last minute.

Also, I've put some of my own work reel on my iPhone. It's nice to be able to show others my work wherever and whenever. [plug] Which you can find very low rez versions of here, btw: http://www.youtube.com/samshann [/plug]

And the screen allows amazingly crisp and clear images for that sort of thing.

So, I am close to deciding to get an iPhone.

How are you guys liking yours? Pros? Cons?

Love it. I rarely use it for ipod/music/video, but love it for email/internet. No regrets.

Still love mine. I use it primarily for e-mail, Web-browsing on-the-go, video, calendering, YouTube, weather data and forecasts, the mapping/direction features (quite a bit more than I expected), clock and alarms, and the calculator.

Oh, I also use it to make and receive telephone calls. :D

My brother came to visit between Christmas and New Year's and spent much of his time playing with my iPhone. A few weeks after he returned home, he bought one himself and is very pleased.

Still love mine. I use it primarily for e-mail, Web-browsing on-the-go, video, calendering, YouTube, weather data and forecasts, the mapping/direction features (quite a bit more than I expected), clock and alarms, and the calculator.

My brother came to visit between Christmas and New Year's and spent much of his time playing with my iPhone. A few weeks after he returned home, he bought one himself and is very pleased.

I'm really interested in the calendaring feature, and the mapping/directions - how does that work, is it GPS?

Anybody have a Bible program for it to recommend?

It's basically a small computer, right? That is also a phone. Is that the best way to think about it?

Edited by CrimsonLine

:o It also makes phone calls!?! B)

Love mine too. Great for when I travel, both as a communication device and for entertainment on the road.

I really only use the

• phone
  • internet (love that I can add icons for various websites to my home screen)
  • iPod (music, podcasts, and video -- I put samples of my HD vid work on there. It's a very sharp screen image)
  • maps (LOVE the locater feature! LOVE the integration with my contacts list. LOVE the integration with Safari where if a map comes up in your Google search and you select it, the Maps feature is automatically activated)
  • notes
  • texting (AT&T's iPhone usage plan really fits me)
  • weather (especially when traveling, I can add multiple cities on there)
  • clock (alarm & timer)
  • camera, photos (scanned in all of the family photos that I used to carry in my wallet)
  • calendar (syncs great with iCal on my home Mac)
  • YouTube
  • calculator

Wish I had a reason to use it more. Sigh. :D

Crims,

The software development kit is supposed to come out this week, but if you're looking for a Bible program, visit Apple's web app page. I think that they have some there to peruse before you buy the iPhone.

I assume that the map locater works off of cell tower locations. Not really sure, but it is pretty accurate - within a mile usually.

If you have a Mac the Calendar syncs well with iCal. I don't know about PC syncing.

And yes, it's basically a small computer integrated with a cell phone.

Edited by SZPT

I'm really interested in the calendaring feature...

I use it to sync with iCal (Macintosh calendaring) but I have no experience with using an iPhone with Outlook. One of my coworkers uses his with a Windows computer and an Outlook calendar, so I'm sure it can be done, but I have no idea how well it works.

...and the mapping/directions - how does that work, is it GPS?

The mapping feature is great. You can type in an address (or do a search using key words) and the iPhone will find the location(s) on a map. Furthermore, it can give you directions (both in text and pictures) as well as give you contact information that you can tap and dial/e-mail. I use it all the time to locate restaurants and place takeout orders.

It does not have true GPS. However, there is a location button (shaped like crosshairs) on the maps screen that estimates your location by triangulation from nearby cell towers. It is surprisingly accurate in most cases. Once you know your general location, it is very easy to figure out where you are based on street names or landmarks (when using the satellite view of the area). It won't completely take the place of a full-blown GPS unit, but it comes close.

Anybody have a Bible program for it to recommend?

At this point, the iPhone is officially closed to outside developers. However, Steve Jobs is announcing the developers kit next week (along with some new "enterprise solutions") that should create a flurry of activity around the platform. I expect to see Bible software for the iPhone sometime in 2008.

It's basically a small computer, right? That is also a phone. Is that the best way to think about it?

That's pretty much it. It is running a version of Mac OS X, so there are all sorts of opportunities to develop the platform.

Thanks, guys! Another question:

What do you pay extra for? What I mean is, you pay for the phone up front, and you subscribe to the data plan. What does the contract not cover, that generates extra charges that show up on your phone bill? Is it extra to do e-mail? To surf the web? To send text messages? What about using iChat? Is that the same as sending a text message? Which features cost you on a per-use basis, as opposed to being covered under the contract?

What do you pay extra for?

I don't pay extra for anything. In theory, if used more than my allowable minutes per month AND somehow used all of my rollover minutes (thousands of hours) or exceeded my text message limit (also unlikely) I would pay extra.

What I mean is, you pay for the phone up front, and you subscribe to the data plan. What does the contract not cover, that generates extra charges that show up on your phone bill? Is it extra to do e-mail? To surf the web?

The data plan was the only thing I added to my AT&T account when I purchased and activated the iPhone. The data plan is a flat rate "all you can eat" plan.

Thanks, guys! Another question:

What do you pay extra for? What I mean is, you pay for the phone up front, and you subscribe to the data plan. What does the contract not cover, that generates extra charges that show up on your phone bill? Is it extra to do e-mail? To surf the web? To send text messages? What about using iChat? Is that the same as sending a text message? Which features cost you on a per-use basis, as opposed to being covered under the contract?

I believe you pay extra for converting iTunes songs to ringtones if you want to do that, but that's about it. Haven't tried that feature myself. My bill's been exactly the same month in and month out within a few pennies, and I've used pretty much all the features it has to offer.

I believe you pay extra for converting iTunes songs to ringtones if you want to do that, but that's about it.

If you have a Mac, you can make your own ringtones in Garageband (using iTunes songs, or any other unprotected audio for that matter) for no charge. You can also create original music/sounds too.

Same here on the phone plan. I haven't gone over, and I use it A LOT. Even my boss, who got his first, chides me for how much I use the thing. Says I should get an implant.

I have 700 anytime minutes that I share with my wife. We haven't hit the ceiling yet and these rollover, so we're up to 1,250 extra minutes since I started in October. Unlimited data at the flat rate, 200 text messages per month. Texting doesn't roll over so I was afraid that I may go over on texts, but I haven't yet. I might be close this month due to the way we communicate during production (good for getting notes in and out of a meeting). Need to slow down a bit there.

As for ring tones, if you do the "proper" thing and purchase through the iTunes store you have to buy the song then buy the ring tone. It's usually a dollar each, so $2 total. That's still better than $3.50+ with other phones.

I just discovered a program called iToner that lets you sync your own unregistered ringtones for free. Cost is $15 for the program, but you get a month free trial version. Oh, and it only works on the Mac. MacWorld recommended it, otherwise I'd be a bit wary. This current update to iPhone's firmware didn't wipe out the ringtones that I created. Future ones may do so, but since I've already thrown about 8 songs/sound FX on there, I figure that it's paid for itself.

Also, let's talk about our iPhone holders. covers, skins, etc.

After a lot of research I recently bought the Speck ToughSkin iPhone Case:

41Q591N7NjL._SS400_.jpg

So far I love it. It's much better than the original one that I bought at the AT&T store. I'm trying to remember the brand, etc. It was a slide on sleeve with a clip that broke off 2 weeks after I got it.

For my current (non-iPhone) cell phone, I'm using a nice leather holster with a magnetic flap that folds over the top of the phone. It has a solid belt clip on the back that grips tightly, and is attached by a rivet of some kind. I can turn it a bit to get a comfortable angle, but it doesn't swivel. I love this case.

Is there anything similar for the iPhone?

I'm a purist, no holder here. It stays - completely "unprotected" - in my pocket with my keys, pen, etc and whatever else I happen to throw in there. Six months later, nary a scratch on the screen. Truly an amazing thing, considering how scratched up my Treo got over time. There are some scratches in the silver part on the back, but they're fairly minimal, and I can't imaging that would bother me even if they were maximal. :)

One maintenance note. A week ago my iphone speaker went dead and I could only hear with headphones. No sound whenever the phone would ring.

I took it to the Apple store (in a different city from the one I bought it in 8 months ago) and after their technician fooled around with it a bit, he gave me a completely new one all activated and everything. Now that is customer service worth paying a few extra dollars for!

Best phone I've ever owned!

regards,

-Lance

I took it to the Apple store (in a different city from the one I bought it in 8 months ago) and after their technician fooled around with it a bit, he gave me a completely new one all activated and everything. Now that is customer service worth paying a few extra dollars for!

I actually had the battery short-circuit in my first iPhone. It suddenly went dead and started getting hot. I called Apple and talked to their customer service people. They immediately gave me the "duck and cover" speech and then made an appointment for me at the local Apple Store. I drove over there about half an hour later and they popped open a new one and activated it for me in about 5 minutes.

Nice!

I took it to the Apple store (in a different city from the one I bought it in 8 months ago) and after their technician fooled around with it a bit, he gave me a completely new one all activated and everything.
...and they popped open a new one and activated it for me in about 5 minutes.

Out of curiosity, what was the process to get all of your information back? Were you able to easily re-sync your info, music, and other files to the new phone?

Also, was the latest software upgrade already installed? If not, what was the process there?

Out of curiosity, what was the process to get all of your information back? Were you able to easily re-sync your info, music, and other files to the new phone?

Also, was the latest software upgrade already installed? If not, what was the process there?

The process was to connect the phone to my computer and all my contacts, music, photos, calendar, etc.. automagically sync'd with iTunes. I think I might have had to click OK once, but possibly not. I did have to reenter my wifi key when I came home and it tried to connect to my wifi, but no big deal there.

Also, iTunes lets you know if your phone needs a software upgrade and handles it in the sync. Mine didn't with the repair/replacement, however it has upgraded a twice with new releases.

The apps I use regularly are Calendar, Photos, Camera, Stocks, Maps, Weather, Calculator, Phone, Mail, Safari and Ipod.

regards,

-Lance

Hi guys!

I can see my house from here!

Sent from my new iPhone...

Sent from my new iPhone...

We welcome you. :D