Christian Fantasy Takes Off

I've never heard of any of the Christian authors mentioned. Have you? (I've never been much of a fantasy fan.)

Story here.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I wasn't a fantasy fan growing up, but I have had a chance to meet a few budding Christian fantasy authors over the last few years and have grown to appreciate the genre. I have heard good things about Wayne Thomas Batson and Donita K. Paul, as well as a guy named Bryan Davis, though I haven't read them and their books are more geared toward children. Fantasy geared toward adults hasn't sold very well among readers of Christian fiction, since many of them grew up hearing from preachers that anything to do with fantasy is connected with the occult somehow. However there is an upswing at Christian fantasy geared toward young readers after the success of Lord of the Rings films, and parents realized it was OK for kids to read this stuff.

I did read a series by Kathryn Mackel that was pretty good, the books Outriders and Trackers. Also Kathy Tyres came out with a good space opera trilogy a few years ago called the Fireberd trilogy.

I keep up reading a collaborative blog by budding Christian fantasy writers. They cover some interesting issues in getting Christians to read fantasy:

http://specfaith.ritersbloc.com

Edited by Crow