Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

MP3s of the Moment!

60 posts in this topic

Another new Matthew Sweet tune, from the soundtrack to an upcoming film titled the Bigtop. Sweet didn't write the track ("Wild"); it's still pretty good. Check it out here.

I'm still waiting for more substantial news on his forthcoming studio album (which was originally slated for about a year ago). He posted something (which I can't find as of now) on a message board about the disc (new running title: Sunshine Lies). He also mentioned that the follow up Hoffs/Sweet collaboration that's focusing on '70s covers.

Title track from the forthcoming Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds album Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! (note the excessive exclamation points!!!!)

You gotta click on the side thingy on the right to get it to play.

Can you say, "Grinderman redux"?

SOrry for the dupe, but this space looked a little forlorn so . . .

Here is an mp3 (free and legal) of the new track "Jiggy Jiggy" from the Steve Reid Ensemble's upcoming album Daxaar on Domino. Yes, it's jazz, but it's not like any jazz you've heard before: also features Kieran Hebden of Fourtet. Check it out HERE.

"Canonball" it ain't. But the Breeders have posted "Bang On" from their forthcoming Mountain Battles.

A song I found just recently was released in 2007 by Canadian singer/songwriter Peter Katz.

The song is called Forgiveness and is perhaps the most powerful song I have EVER heard.

Check out the story behind it as well as the song.

You can download "Crawl" by Kings of Leon on their website right now. Just need to enter an email address. It's from their upcoming album Only By The Night, landing on Sept. 23rd.

The first single from The New Year's forthcoming self-titled album

The great Scott songwriter Jackie Leven is making available two tracks from his new album, LOVERS AT THE GUN CLUB.

Here they are in Reverse order: The Innocent Railway: Here

Lovers At The Gun Club: here.

Here is what Jackie had to say about The Innocent Railway:

Hiya pals

Opening track to The New Year's self-titled third album, called "Folios." It may bore some to tears, but the gradual climax is just perfect for me.

I've always been neutral on the Scottish band Travis

A most excellent idea for a thread, Jeffery.

As my inaugural post, I offer the following:

Blind Pilot - One Red Thread

Sparse and luxurious at the same time, this duo from Portland makes music that sounds great over coffee or anytime at all.

The Weepies - Orbiting

Husband and wife singer/songwriters from Southern California, destined for high rotation on the iPods of indy-lovers everywhere.

I finally got around to checking out the Best of Bootie 2008 mash-up compilation this week and right now, I'm totally in love with Totom's "Every Kind Of Creep (Zebra remix)" which brings together Radiohead's "Creep" and Robert Palmer's "Every Kinda People".

Like so many of the best mash-ups, it doesn't work on paper at all but when you play it, it's a match made in heaven.

DJ Zebra's "Roxanne Should Be Dancing", Brat's "Easy Heaven", and DJ Schmolli's "Justice For Billie Jean" are also a lot of fun.

Stereogum has an MP3 from the Clientele's upcoming album. It's entitled "I Wonder Who We Are", and well, it's The Clientele -- breathy vocals, lovely arrangements, a bassline to die for, and some Spanish guitar thrown in for good measure. In a word: gorgeous. Few bands are so beautifully consistent.

http://stereogum.com/archives/mp3/new-clie...are_078692.html

"Dying in Africa" is the new track from Sally Shapiro's upcoming album, Guilty Pleasure (which gets my vote for the most accurate album title of 2009). If you're into italo-disco, synth arpeggios and orchestral hits, and/or cooing Swedish vocals, then this track will totally make your afternoon. Edited by opus

The Besnard Lakes return! And wow, it sounds very fresh and different. I wouldn't have expected this band to remind me of Belly, but that's what this sounds like to me. Edited by Overstreet

Labrador just released another MP3 from the upcoming Radio Dept. album. "Heaven's On Fire" still displays an 80s sensibility, but it sounds like the group is moving towards a breezier electro-pop sound a la Saint Etienne, which is fine by me.

http://www.labrador.se/heavensonfire/

Damien Jurado has a new album -- Saint Bartlett -- coming out in May, and Stereogum has the first MP3 from it. I like it: it sounds like some longlost 50's sockhop anthem as covered by Jurado. Which means that, for all of its poppy-ness, there's a sort of nostalgic, antiquated melancholy to it as well.

I've been having some computer problems that won't let me listen to it, but wow is that cover gorgeous. I thought Caught in Trees was an amazing reinvention of the Jurado format, so I'm excited to hear the new stuff.

Damien Jurado has a new album -- Saint Bartlett -- coming out in May, and Stereogum has the first MP3 from it. I like it: it sounds like some longlost 50's sockhop anthem as covered by Jurado. Which means that, for all of its poppy-ness, there's a sort of nostalgic, antiquated melancholy to it as well.

I was pretty sure Damien Jurado had lost it. After a couple of tepid albums, he seemed to have totally lost steam. But then he released Caught in Trees and sounded revitalized. I remembered why I liked him so much. After listening to "Arkansaw" a few times I believe his hot streak might continue. It's got the Jurado "pop song" feel but Richard Swift's excellent production puts it into a totally different time and place. The 50's comparison is appropriate. I never would have guessed it, but it works like a charm.