Sign in to follow this  
Greg Wright

Revamped Hollywood Jesus

As a lot of you may know, Jenn and I left Hollywood Jesus in May of 2006 after the site was incorporated as a for-profit venture, and an editor was hired to manage content on the site. You may or may not know that we rejoined the staff of the site in February of this year as consulting editors to oversee the rebuilding of the site.

The biggest part of that project has, frankly, not been content per se, but fixing the countless technology problems attendant to the site's "relaunch" in 2006 using Cold Fusion technology. A more expedient solution has been migrating to Wordpress, which now exclusively manages the site's music, books, comics, TV, and games coverage. The front page utilizes both Cold Fusion and Wordpress/PHP -- and we duplicate our movie/DVD coverage in both technologies, for now.

So here's a request. For those who find HJ's approach worthwhile (and God knows not everyone does, and that there are very legitimate reasons to object to HJ's approach to the arts), I'd appreciate it if you'd visit the revamped site, tour around, and leave us some feedback.

We've just added user comments to the Wordpress side of the site, so you can leave comments for specific writers there. Or, feel free to leave feedback here at A&F.

Greg Wright

Managing Editor, Past the Popcorn

Consulting Editor, Hollywood Jesus

Leader of the Uruk-Howdy, Orcs of the West

First thing I noticed: It doesn't SCREAM "We're promoting this film" at me like the first redesign did. I'll look at it more carefully later.

Now, this is the God's Honest Truth: at relaunch, those ads were inserted as placeholders to install the adserver software -- and they were not paid ads. Then, after the first paid ads were finally loaded the first of this year (Amazing Grace and Bridge to Terabithia) the adserver broke, and those ads were "stuck" in place literally for months -- and the adserver wasn't finally fixed until June of this year.

But yeah -- I was much relieved to get those screaming ads down, too. Everyone was, believe it or not. No one attached to the site has been very happy about how the site's technology, particularly the adserver.

Thanks for the feedback!

Greg Wright

Managing Editor, Past the Popcorn

Consulting Editor, Hollywood Jesus

Leader of the Uruk-Howdy, Orcs of the West