Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Shazam!

Links to our threads on other DC Cinematic Universe films Man of Steel (2013), Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Suicide Squad (2016), Wonder Woman (2017), Justice League (2017), Aquaman (2018) and Wonder Woman 2 (2019), as well as the in-development Flashpoint, Black Adam, Cyborg, Green Lantern, Nightwing, Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens and Justice League Dark movies and the not-yet-dated Superman, Batman and Justice League sequels.

- - -

Sandler sidekick to captain "Shazam!" movie
Director Peter Segal, who shot the Adam Sandler hits "The Longest Yard," "50 First Dates" and "Anger Management," has come aboard "Shazam!" -- an adaptation of the DC Comics series featuring Captain Marvel. The comic focused on young Billy Batson, who becomes the superhero known as Captain Marvel when he utters the magic word "Shazam!"
Reuters, April 13 2006

Exclusive: Peter Segal on Shazam!
At Comic-Con International, Warner Bros. kicked off their presentation on Saturday with hilarious footage from their update on Get Smart directed by Peter Segal, who directed three of Adam Sandler's recent comedies and comedy classics like The Naked Gun 33 1/3, but he's also attached to helm New Line's movie Shazam! based on the Quality and DC Comics character Captain Marvel. Produced by Michael Uslan (Batman, The Spirit) and written by John August (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), it's one of the lighter comic superheroes, but it still might seem like a strange choice to some people considering Segal's past work.
ComingSoon.net, July 28 2007

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The Rock's Role In 'Shazam': Should He Be Good Or Evil? You Decide!

Sometimes the hero, sometimes the villain, as a WWE wrestler in the late '90s, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson spent as much time inciting the crowd to boo and sneer as he did bringing them to their feet with show-stopping bravado.

The more things change, it seems, the more they stay the same. Now a successful movie star, the Rock says he's been in discussions to play both the good and bad guy in the upcoming superhero flick "Shazam" -- and he wants MTV fans to help him decide which one he should tackle.

"Shazam, of course, I would love to play. They approached me about [Captain Marvel] and [villain] Black Adam as well," he revealed. "We've been meeting for months. We're toying with either one. I think it's up to the fans. Without question." . . .

MTV News, September 24

Segal, Ewing set first-look deal at WB

Warner Bros. has staked "Get Smart" director Peter Segal and his Callahan Filmworks partner Michael Ewing to a three-year first-look deal. . . .

As part of the deal, WB has also acquired the John August-scripted "Captain Marvel"; Segal will direct the DC Comics adaptation. He and Ewing began working on the film two years ago at New Line, but the property has moved over to WB. Pic tells the story of teenaged Billy Batson, who transforms into the superhero when he says the word "Shazam!" . . .

Variety, November 20

'Shazam!' remake names writer

Actor-turned-writer Billy Birch has been tapped to reboot "Shazam!," Warners' adaptation of a DC Comics series featuring Captain Marvel.

Geoff Johns, one of the three DC Comics heavyweights hired by the studio to act as consultants on DC projects, is also helping with the kick-start, co-writing the story with Birch. Johns will also act as co-producer.

Hollywood Reporter, August 19

CineFOOLS speaks to screenwriter Bill Birch:

In a time when comic adaptations are expected to be gritty and dark is Shazam the project that can be made for families or is dark and gritty the expected road for Capt. Marvel?

The way the story is shaking out, Geoff and I see this not as "dark" as Dark Knight but definitely as cool. It'll probably end up with a PG-13 rating.

What is the most important aspect you want to bring to Shazam?

Tonally I think it's important to successfully find the balance of comedy and danger in the story. That’s a major aspect I’m focusing on. Frankly hitting the right tone is what’s going to either get this made or keep it in development hell.

Marvel OR Black Adam, either fits.

Yay! That's great news! Although, apparently this film will not tie in to the DC Cinematic Universe...

CrimsonLine wrote:
: Although, apparently this film will not tie in to the DC Cinematic Universe...

Really? Huh. I guess that's related to the fact that it will be a New Line release, though whether that's cause or effect, I couldn't say.

Oh well, it's not like Captain Marvel was a DC character to begin with anyway...

CrimsonLine wrote:

: Although, apparently this film will not tie in to the DC Cinematic Universe...

Really? Huh. I guess that's related to the fact that it will be a New Line release, though whether that's cause or effect, I couldn't say.

Oh well, it's not like Captain Marvel was a DC character to begin with anyway...

No, but since he became a DC property, he's often been a member of the Justice League, and is an interesting foil to Superman.

Edited by CrimsonLine