Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye Jones

NCAA Football 2007

I hope that BC loses soon. I'm looking forward to some Ohio State over SEC redemption this January.
My Tide boys are going to do their best to make sure that doesn't happen by knocking LSU out of the race this weekend. Not saying it's likely, just that they'll try. :)

LSU may have bigger problems on the horizon though. It's *mostly* rumor and speculation at this point, but apparently a few of the LSU players got into a big brawl outside a nightclub Friday night - including Ryan Perilliloux. And from the rumors at least, it's not out of the question that the players involved could end up kicked off the team. Here's hoping it makes for a nice distraction for at least the next, oh, seven days or so...

More info should come out tomorrow in the press.

Too bad, Popechild, but you understand, the Buckeyes need to beat an SEC team this January--and the only option is the Tigers. I'm sure you understand, and don't worry, after Les loses to the Bucks in January, he'll get used to losing to them in November.

Too bad, Popechild, but you understand, the Buckeyes need to beat an SEC team this January--and the only option is the Tigers. I'm sure you understand, and don't worry, after Les loses to the Bucks in January, he'll get used to losing to them in November.

If what you hint at actually happens, then such talk will be fine for now. If Miles comes back to the Big 10, he'll change the league for years. In your heart of hearts, he will plant that seed that the hiring of Tressel planted in The People's Cooperative of Blue.

Rich, are we going to meet up in the Rose Bowl for a rematch?

MattP   

As painful as the ending of that game was (how can you fumble on your own 2 yard line when your on the potential game winning drive!!), there is always that silver lining that you mention. The only thing that would give me greater pleasure than watching last year's national championship game would be to see the same thing happen again. Perhaps this year once OSU has reached 0-9 in bowl games against the SEC we can finally stop assuming it's always a fluke? ;)

Rich, are we going to meet up in the Rose Bowl for a rematch?

Hey, we're 8-0! Still, I'm making NO predictions for Michigan these days, just watching games. OTOH, I don't think USC will be in the hunt for the Rose Bowl, let alone at the Rose Bowl.

As painful as the ending of that game was (how can you fumble on your own 2 yard line when your on the potential game winning drive!!), there is always that silver lining that you mention. The only thing that would give me greater pleasure than watching last year's national championship game would be to see the same thing happen again. Perhaps this year once OSU has reached 0-9 in bowl games against the SEC we can finally stop assuming it's always a fluke? ;)

I don't think the Buckeye's 0-8 record against the SEC is a fluke, but there's context around that number. Tressel's faced the SEC twice, in which he's lost both times--once on his first team in 2002 vs. SC which was lost by a last second field goal, in which he clearly had an inferior team. The second was to Fla last Jan, in which he was defeated badly by Urban Meyer's hopped up on acid team.

The rest are irrelevant--4 losses coming at the end of coaches' tenures (Woody and Cooper), and 2 more close ones during the regular season.

That said, the 2007 Championship is the only one that really smarts, as the Buckeyes were outcoached and overmatched. Why didn't Tressel's squad stick with the ground game? Why wasn't there more help applied against the defensive ends? I don't think the 2008 game will end up the same way--and oh, by the way, only 2 seniors on this squad.

Awww. Welcome to the nightmare, Kid! Think of it as The Game of Historic Proportions. They say we both haven't lost since '59.

Well, Rich, with a Rose Bowl bid and conference championship in the balance, plus those little gold pants for Kirk Barton, I'm ready to settle into full M%^#&gan week mode.

I was hoping for a close game vs. the Illi-freakin'-noise and for the Wolverines to blow out the Badgers--best case scenario for a home team beatdown Saturday. Instead, I got Juice running straight up the middle for a 8 minute drive. Incredible.

I hope Hart's healthy next week. I don't want him to have any excuse for going 0-4.

I hope Hart's healthy next week. I don't want him to have any excuse for going 0-4.

I suspect that both he and Henne will see some action, but won't last. Hart in particular has been extremely brittle. If you go 4-0, you'll have to beat only half a team to do it.

On the bright side, are you going to watch HBO's The Game Tuesday night? I'm looking forward to it.

I suspect that both he and Henne will see some action, but won't last. Hart in particular has been extremely brittle. If you go 4-0, you'll have to beat only half a team to do it.

On the bright side, are you going to watch HBO's The Game Tuesday night? I'm looking forward to it.

no bright side--I don't have HBO.

no bright side--I don't have HBO.

Saw it late last night (nice thing about having Wednesdays off...). IMO, there is much for each to gloat and cringe over. I didn't know, for example that Woody was on his way out before the "famous" '57 game (a nonentity up here, as opposed to '68 and '73). There are sentimental arrangements of each fightsong as a particular school is in the assendancy in the narrative. Sadly, it ends with something other than "The Victors". I gotta say though, that we have better jokes than you guys.

Two other things, much is made of poaching Ohio prospects. Considering the populations of the two states (not mentioned in the doc), it is not surprising. Both schools encroach on PA, CA, and Fla among other states. Finally, too much attention is given to the one-note-samba act of Bo Biafra and The Dead Schembechlers. Cute joke, but that's it. The guy spews humorless invective, dressed as Clemson-player-slugging Woody. Like I say, our jokes are better. For those here other than the Buck, Andy, possibly tctruffin, and I, I'm not sure it is worth the time other than as a study in focused psychosis.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Oh, the season it could've been...now I'm the one saying it. I turned off the game when I saw Dixon go down. Too painful to watch.

Wait--this morning, I wake up and throw off the covers, startled by the odd glimmering glow coming from the office. What is it? I wonder, as I rush to the doorway.

Its the flashing glow of the internet, of Firefox refreshing at 30 frames/sec, of espn.com headlining "Arizona stuns Oregon".

Its the glimmer of hope.

Like I say, focused psychosis.

While I'm glad to see yet another Tressel victory over M&^*(gan, this had to have been one of the more lackluster games played since the Cooper years.

Absolutely no confidence in Boeckman, but not much was needed with the Wolverine's offense playing like they were.

I just hope we can figure out how to defend against a spread type offense by January.

While I'm glad to see yet another Tressel victory over M&^*(gan, this had to have been one of the more lackluster games played since the Cooper years.

Absolutely no confidence in Boeckman, but not much was needed with the Wolverine's offense playing like they were.

I just hope we can figure out how to defend against a spread type offense by January.

Poor Lloyd. Lloyd is a good coach whose legacy will forever be that he couldn't beat Jim Tressel. Buckeye, you're probably too young to remember those epic Woody/Bo games during the sixties and seventies, but yesterday was a throwback; rain, sleet, mud, and stronger guys pushing weaker guys around. Wherever he is -- heaven, hell, or sideline-marker-shredding purgatory -- Woody is smiling.

Like I say, focused psychosis.

Focus? Check.

Psychosis? In your dreams.

Then again, if Mizzou loses next week, who knows what will happen?

Sigh. What will happen is that the focus of evil will have triumphed all because the game has passed Lloyd Carr by. <_<

Then again, if Mizzou loses next week, who knows what will happen?

Sigh. What will happen is that the focus of evil will have triumphed all because the game has passed Lloyd Carr by. <_<

Go SOONERS!

Chashab   
Great game tonight. I

Looks like I picked the wrong fight song to promote.

But, you SEC fans may end up appreciating it.

MattP   

Maybe we should just admit that there isn't a single team that deserves to be in the title game this year and not even play it.