Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye Jones

NCAA Football 2007

There's something oddly reminiscent about the Buckeyes this year.... defense, defense, just score enough to win...oh, yeah, it reminds me of the last national championship team.

Anyway, the B10 sans Wisconsin is looking meh this year. We'll see what happens next weekend. How about UCF or FIU, or whatever the Big East team was that beat Auburn. How long will this Big East run last?

After watching (okay, listening to; thank you very much, Big Ten Network) that Buckeye performance on Saturday, I think you're dreaming if you can envision a national championship from this team. I think they'll go 9 - 3, maybe 10 - 2 if they get lucky. And that's only if the Big 10 is as weak as I think it is this year.

LSU looks mighty tough. They're the only major power who has played anyone of note, so it's too early to sort out the rest of the field.

There's something oddly reminiscent about the Buckeyes this year.... defense, defense, just score enough to win...oh, yeah, it reminds me of the last national championship team.

Anyway, the B10 sans Wisconsin is looking meh this year. We'll see what happens next weekend. How about UCF or FIU, or whatever the Big East team was that beat Auburn. How long will this Big East run last?

After watching (okay, listening to; thank you very much, Big Ten Network) that Buckeye performance on Saturday, I think you're dreaming if you can envision a national championship from this team. I think they'll go 9 - 3, maybe 10 - 2 if they get lucky. And that's only if the Big 10 is as weak as I think it is this year.

As Cinderella tells us, a dream is a wish your heart makes.

Well, it's hard to argue with the top 4 teams being 8-0 so far in the Big East...

With that said, this year's Big East appears to be the new Pac-10, where a conference roars to national prominence based on turbo-charged offense before anybody stops to notice that the emperor's got no defense. Middle Tennessee scored 42 on Louisville, Navy scored 24 on Rutgers, Marshall scored 23 on West Virginia... Somehow I just don't see MTSU scoring 42 on LSU or USC.

Well, it's hard to argue with the top 4 teams being 8-0 so far in the Big East...

With that said, this year's Big East appears to be the new Pac-10, where a conference roars to national prominence based on turbo-charged offense before anybody stops to notice that the emperor's got no defense. Middle Tennessee scored 42 on Louisville, Navy scored 24 on Rutgers, Marshall scored 23 on West Virginia... Somehow I just don't see MTSU scoring 42 on LSU or USC.

No kidding. The Louisville vs. Kentucky game is this Saturday, and the spread is only 7 points. Both teams have high scoring offenses (well, against similar, weak-ish teams), but Kentucky seems to have a defensive package as far as comparative stats go. Someone predicted Louisville 80, Kentucky 68 - which is the same respective scores of the basketball game last year.

And Michigan announced that Henne won't be starting against Notre Dame. At least someone will have a win in their column after that game.

Hmm... where's Chashab this year? Did he drop last year's newfound affinity for Arkansas? If I remember correctly, he's a husker at heart, so something tells me he might come around if they happen to pull the upset over USC this weekend.

Did anyone see the Trash Bowl? Is Michigan now awake, or is ND that bad? I'm not sure. If Michigan is any good, it hearkens back to the 7-4 era (pre '97) where the conference season was when the gears really got going. Back then, Old Blues asked why it always took so long. And why the Ducks and Mountaineers didn't deserve the same pride, excellence, and simple execution that the Rubes do.

Louisville chucks another national title out the window with a big loss to Kentucky last night. But it was a game for the ages to watch.

Woo hoo! UK may get ranked for the first time in 20 or 30 years.

That was basketball. Seriously, UK got ranked once in football?

21 spot for the Cats. How 'bout that--can't wait to see the SEC go 1-5 in the bowl season again.

Did anyone see the Trash Bowl? Is Michigan now awake, or is ND that bad? I'm not sure. If Michigan is any good, it hearkens back to the 7-4 era (pre '97) where the conference season was when the gears really got going. Back then, Old Blues asked why it always took so long. And why the Ducks and Mountaineers didn't deserve the same pride, excellence, and simple execution that the Rubes do.

Hey, I was actually in Ann Arbor yesterday, going incognito with my blue sweatshirt with the big "M" on front. I didn't tell anyone that I was honoring the Maine Black Bears.

21 spot for the Cats. How 'bout that--can't wait to see the SEC go 1-5 in the bowl season again.

That's today. I was wondering if they'd ever been ranked before.

Is it just me, or have there been a lot of upsets this year? And a lot of blow-outs? Were the preseason rankings particularly bad this year?

I'm thinking of, for example, Michigan, VT, Fl. St., Louisville, Georgia, Boise St. TCU. Just look at the preseason ranking and see how many teams have not only dropped, but dropped out of the rankings.

Is it just me, or have there been a lot of upsets this year? And a lot of blow-outs? Were the preseason rankings particularly bad this year?

I'm thinking of, for example, Michigan, VT, Fl. St., Louisville, Georgia, Boise St. TCU. Just look at the preseason ranking and see how many teams have not only dropped, but dropped out of the rankings.

Not only were the pre-season rankings bad, but the rankings are STILL bad.

Suppose I told you a 3-0 team had just managed to squeeze by Arkansas St. and Central Florida, both times needing to recover an onside kick at the end to secure the win. Sounds like the #7 team in the country of course. :blink: These pollsters hang onto their pre-season expectations like they were given to them on a stone tablet.

Oh, and the Cats were last ranked in 1984.

Here's my traditional college football rooting scenario: First half of season, root for any and all major upsets that don't negatively impact my team. Especially upsets involving big name programs (see Michigan, ND) and perinnially overrated programs (see Louisville, ND). Second half of season, when it becomes obvious that some of the teams I want to lose simply will not bend to my will, start pulling for as many teams as possible to go undefeated in order to royally screw up the mess that is the BCS.

I'm still hanging in there pulling for the upsets so far. Give me a few more weeks without any significant changes though, and I'll start pulling for USC, Oklahoma, LSU or Florida, Penn State, West Virginia, and Boston College to all finish undefeated. Seriously though, it's entirely possible looking at the top 10 teams' remaining schedules that USC, Oklahoma, WV and LSU/Florida could all finish undefeated.

The BCS rankings don't start until mid October. Wouldn't it be nice if most others were so restrained?

Just thought of something: if rankings waited until part of the season unfolded, it would create an incentive to cut down on early season patsies so that one could be positioned for the best possible coming out ranking.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

The BCS rankings don't start until mid October. Wouldn't it be nice if most others were so restrained?

Just thought of something: if rankings waited until part of the season unfolded, it would create an incentive to cut down on early season patsies so that one could be positioned for the best possible coming out ranking.

I would *love* to see that happen, though the skeptical part of me just thinks that whoever's voting in the polls that count would just look at whatever other "non-official" polls are out to decide what order to use for their own polls...

I'm not convinced that this isn't already a characteristic of the BCS poll. What year was it that Auburn got screwed as the the third of three power undefeateds at the end of the year? And why Auburn? Because it had the most ground to make up at the beginning of the season while the others blossomed at the top all season long. My lament is largely one wanting to minimize the frauds. Most frauds don't show themselves 'til the season starts to grind. Until then they appear quite shiney and happy. Of course, the hyping of frauds is what keeps the fan base interested long before the obvious (to the outsider) takes over.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

In defense of UK football, in their last nine games, they are 8-1, that includes a bowl victory against Clemson who is presently 3-0. The only loss comes from the last regular season game against Tennessee, at Knoxville, where UK lost by five points.

Mark my work, UK could go 9-3 this year. Their victory against Louisville was the first victory against a top ten team since 1977.

I wish UK well. It is exciting to be with a dormant program now on the way up. That is what Michigan was like in the early '70's when I became a rabid fan. OTOH, like UM/ND, was the UK/Louisville game a demonstration of UK's prowess or evidence of Louisville's fraudulence this year? When's UK's next big test?

I wish UK well. It is exciting to be with a dormant program now on the way up. That is what Michigan was like in the early '70's when I became a rabid fan. OTOH, like UM/ND, was the UK/Louisville game a demonstration of UK's prowess or evidence of Louisville's fraudulence this year? When's UK's next big test?

Saturday vs. Arkansas.

Saturday vs. Arkansas.

UK is going down. I can't have ALL my teams lose all the time. Sheesh, I'm not making sense, am I?

Question of the Day: Is the Big 10 really as down as everyone is saying this year?

You guys know I'm not ever one to argue that the Big 10 is the best conference in the land, but it's kind of funny to me that they're taking a huge beating in the press this year about how horrible a year it is for the conference when they're still 3 teams sitting in the top 10 - more than any other conference. Did the Michigan loss(es) artificially drag down the perception of the conference?

Ohio State is #8 in the AP. They have a win over what seems to be a decent Washington team, but overall (this is according to the CBS poll, which is the only 1-120 poll I found) their opponents are ranked 36, 94 and 1-AA, and they haven't exactly looked like world beaters in any of those games, at least not for a full game.

Wisconsin is #9, but their wins are against 46, 96, and 1-AA, and again, they're winning by 1 and 2 touchdowns against the 96 and 1-AA teams.

Penn State is #10, and of course we hear every week how they're Kirk's pick of the league. Their wins have certainly been more convincing in terms of the score, but then again they should be as they've come against #100, 109, and 120.

So what do you guys think? Are they only ranked that high because of perception, and the lack of other quality top 10 material? (I mean, Texas looks terrible and they're #7!) Or are they just getting a bad wrap because of Michigan's woes?

Somewhat related: Is it just me, or does there seem to be a HUGE gap compared to normal between the top 4 teams in the country and everyone else this year? I mean, there are normally 1-2 (or even 3) teams that stand out as obvious top teams, but then there's usually a nice 2nd tier right behind them and so on. Looking at the top 25, I can only find 2, or maybe 3 teams (WV, Cal, BC?) that are playing up to obvious "Top 10" levels, and I feel like I'm stretching a bit even to mention a few of those.

I'm guessing this is why Alabama shot up into the rankings after the big win over Arkansas. Realistically, that was a pretty good win over a better than average Arkansas team, and they have a decent win over a better than average Vanderbilt team, but they haven't shown anything to me to justify them jumping all the way to 16 from out of the polls. But the last second win over McFadden and Co. got a lot of hype, and to be honest there just haven't been many other teams making a great impression so far. I can't help but think that if Bama finds a way to beat GA this weekend and FSU next (both of whom are looking somewhat weak themselves so far) that it could vault them all the way into the Top 10.

What do you guys think? Is there a dearth of teams playing exceptionally well right now, or am I just not seeing them?

Somewhat related: Is it just me, or does there seem to be a HUGE gap compared to normal between the top 4 teams in the country and everyone else this year? I mean, there are normally 1-2 (or even 3) teams that stand out as obvious top teams, but then there's usually a nice 2nd tier right behind them and so on. Looking at the top 25, I can only find 2, or maybe 3 teams (WV, Cal, BC?) that are playing up to obvious "Top 10" levels, and I feel like I'm stretching a bit even to mention a few of those.

How can you possibly know this so early? This is my point about pre-mid-October (heh) rankings. Are you that good at breaking down performance? Just who are the top four beating up on? If past experience is any indication, WV, Cal, and BC will fold at some point. Seems to me that Lousville didn't deserve its preseason 4 ranking. Right off the bat, we will have a better picture of UK, Ark, UM, and Penn State come Sunday morning. And that's just what has been referenced here so far this week. There are others, probably.

Oh, and on the question of the day: ever since the various Fla powerhouses showed big 10 teams to be big and slow in the early '90's, it has been conventional wisdom that the Big 10 is overrated. This, even though the Big 10 has roped a few championships since that time. Right now, no one believes that MSU is not going to fold because they always do. Their new coach puts that in doubt for me. They may not be elite yet, but they will be tough. Iowa lost to Iowa State, for peet's sake. The Rubes always are tough and prepared against anyone not from Florida (hee hee) under Tressel. Indiana will never go anywhere. Illinois? Who knows? You never do. The rest are what they are and are supposed to be, except for the Swoonerines. Wisconsin is big and tough. Minnesota will spoil.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

How can you possibly know this so early? This is my point about pre-mid-October (heh) rankings. Are you that good at breaking down performance? Just who are the top four beating up on? If past experience is any indication, WV, Cal, and BC will fold at some point. Seems to me that Lousville didn't deserve its preseason 4 ranking. Right off the bat, we will have a better picture of UK, Ark, UM, and Penn State come Sunday morning. And that's just what has been referenced here so far this week. There are others, probably.

Oh, and on the question of the day: ever since the various Fla powerhouses showed big 10 teams to be big and slow in the early '90's, it has been conventional wisdom that the Big 10 is overrated. This, even though the Big 10 has roped a few championships since that time. Right now, no one believes that MSU is not going to fold because they always do. Their new coach puts that in doubt for me. They may not be elite yet, but they will be tough. Iowa lost to Iowa State, for peet's sake. The Rubes always are tough and prepared against anyone not from Florida (hee hee) under Tressel. Indiana will never go anywhere. Illinois? Who knows? You never do. The rest are what they are and are supposed to be, except for the Swoonerines. Wisconsin is big and tough. Minnesota will spoil.

I'll let the Rubes comment pass. It's hard to argue with the Florida snipe, although I seem to recall a championship game against Miami a few years back that turned out rather well. Otherwise, I agree, except for one minor correction. Minnesota has already spoiled. They're rotten, in fact. They may be one of the worst teams in Division 1-A, or whatever the proper term is for the big boys these days.

Edited by Andy Whitman

Well, I used the phrase "seem to be" because obviously we don't know for sure. But that doesn't mean that you can't have perceptions of teams based on 3 performances, whether positive or negative. And the perception from this seat is that there are 4 teams that stand head and shoulders above the rest. That perception may end up being wrong, but what's interesting to me is that most years there doesn't "seem" to be such a large gap between whoever the top teams are and whoever the teams just below them are.

Just who are the top 4 beating up on? Well, USC whipped Nebraska on the road, LSU torched VT by a gazillion and held the same Middle Tenn team scoreless that came up with 42 points against Louisville. Florida beat Tennessee like a red-headed stepchild, but more importantly seems to have an even stronger offense than the one that I remember doing a bit of damage in the national championship game last year. Oklahoma's the one who hasn't been quite as tested yet, but when you're average score is a 61-9 win (including one against Miami, regardless of how down they are), you tend to get the benefit of the doubt. So at least 3 of those 4 have already proven themselves way above and beyond what anyone else has done so far, and the fourth doesn't "seem" too far behind.

You mention that WV, Cal, and BC will probably fold, Louisville hasn't lived up to its ranking, and we don't know much yet about UK, Ark, UM, and Penn St. Well, that's my point. Aside from the top 4, it's hard to envision anyone really stepping up to challenge the top 4 at this point. I'm sure someone will at some point, but for the life of me I couldn't give much justification for any guess at who that could be.

Edited by popechild