Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye Jones

NCAA Football 2007

Kentucky is ranked, but 6.5 underdog to unranked Arkansas. That doesn't say a lot for the rankings.

Just who are the top 4 beating up on? Well, USC whipped Nebraska on the road, LSU torched VT by a gazillion and held the same Middle Tenn team scoreless that came up with 42 points against Louisville. Florida beat Tennessee like a red-headed stepchild, but more importantly seems to have an even stronger offense than the one that I remember doing a bit of damage in the national championship game last year. Oklahoma's the one who hasn't been quite as tested yet, but when you're average score is a 61-9 win (including one against Miami, regardless of how down they are), you tend to get the benefit of the doubt. So at least 3 of those 4 have already proven themselves way above and beyond what anyone else has done so far, and the fourth doesn't "seem" too far behind.

And this raises quiestions about NE and VT and Tenn for example, at this point in the season.

Andy: Forgive me. I pounced on the one delight open to me right now at your expense. A delight brought on by constant conversations with persihables warehouse drivers and yet another new co-mgr from "down south".

Forgive the typos if any. On this draconian diet Dena and I will inhabit until at least next July, we have little alchohol at all (none is really allowed, as are alchie fighting carbs). However, in the wake of Yhe Win (oops, I'll leave that for comic relief) we cracked a bottle of champagne (Mawby Cremant of Leelenau, Michigan, of course) to celebrate. I did this because Michigan is on my famously tight leash (lose and I might not watch you anymore until you make Rich Rodrigueze an offer)..

OK, so Michigan is not necceser, necesar, um, all that good yet. But Penn State is not nec, um, possibly not a fraud yet. Michigan seems to have PSU's number, at least at the Big House. So, if the Swoone, uhh, UM can maybe salvage a respectable year, why not Joe Pa?

Louisville is officially a fraud. UK is a basketball school. GO HOGS!

Edited by Rich Kennedy

UK is a basketball school.

I believe that Adolph Rupp said the same thing to Bear Bryant in the 1950s, and his curse withered the fig tree of UK football.

Kentucky 42 - Arkansas 29

I am starting to get excited. FAU is next week. UK should win that. That will make the Cats 5-0 to go into South Carolina on a Thursday, on ESPN.

Yeah. Bringing up the basketball thing at all was the Mawby talking. They looked pretty good.

Seeing that there is a UK element to this thread, UK is 5-0 after defeating FAU 45-17. Woodson threw five touchdowns and 301 yards. Alas, Woodson ended his record streak of 325 consecutive passes without an interception. The old record holder was Trent Dilfer at 271. As a consolation, the FAU player who picked Woodson off is the NCAA leader in interceptions. He has seven INTs in five games.

Congrats, Michael, on a top ten ranking for the 'Cats. How about that?

Anyway, assuming the Bucks go ahead and commit their annual night road game loss at PSU (man, they stink) this year--and that UC finishes no worse than second in the Big East, could we see a Big 10-Big East showdown in the (where else) Fiesta Bowl?

Congrats, Michael, on a top ten ranking for the 'Cats. How about that?

Can they beat Spurrier, the evil genius? South Carolina has the spread by two points, but they give the home team three points, which means that if the game was played on a neutral field, Kentucky would be favored by one.

Either way, I am using this to evangelize. When UK football is 5-0 and Notre Dame is 0-5, people need to get right with Jesus, because this is End Times type stuff.

Either way, I am using this to evangelize. When UK football is 5-0 and Notre Dame is 0-5, people need to get right with Jesus, because this is End Times type stuff.

There it IS! My laugh of the day. Seriously, are there really that many ND fans in Kentucky? Oh. In other words, apres UK victoire, le deluge.

Well... UK lost Thursday night. I guess the world is not coming to an end. I feel like a poor man's Hal Lindsey.

Can this season never end? Please? I love being able to entirely ignore the rankings.

Yeah. Ain't it cool? I'm actually fascinated by matchups all over the country. Even watched some of the Fla A&M/ Winston Salem State game (Winston is a former hometown from a time when WSSU was not discussed among the white folk. I noticed that now, the Rams have a white player or few and at least one white cheerleader, BTW).

OTOH, eight days until the first BCS poll. Enjoy it while it lasts.

As of now, I've got Mizzou football fever! Being 5-0 and giving Nebraska a royal pasting has done it to me. Even though I remember when I was in college in the 1980s at the University of Missouri-Rolla. We looked down on Mizzou (a.k.a University of Missouri-Columbia) as a bunch of preppies that were inferior to us intellectually. After all we were an Engineering school. But all is forgiven now, now that after only a couple of decades, Mizzou has finally put together a football program worth watching.

Edited by Crow

A couple more games like that and maybe Les Miles will want to come back to Ann Arbor.

Might as well throw #2 Cal on the fire, too.

So, with great irony, the Buckeyes will be #1 in the next polls, thanks to a former SEC basement dweller and a Pac-10 team.

And if you missed LSU-Kentucky tonight, you missed one of the best games this year.

Hard to believe that last year's craziness in the polls has already been topped in mid-October of this year.

Edited by Clint M

And if you missed LSU-Kentucky tonight, you missed one of the best games this year.

That was arguably one of the best games ever. That was something to watch.

If I am correct, the fun ends tomorrow. The first BCS poll comes out. All of this wild-ass guessing about who's good and who's a fraud and who's on top vanishes. There will be meat and particular bowl bids behind the BCS's wild-ass guesses, but at least it will be based on some few weeks' experience.

I hope that BC loses soon. I'm looking forward to some Ohio State over SEC redemption this January.

I hope that BC loses soon. I'm looking forward to some Ohio State over SEC redemption this January.
My Tide boys are going to do their best to make sure that doesn't happen by knocking LSU out of the race this weekend. Not saying it's likely, just that they'll try. :)

LSU may have bigger problems on the horizon though. It's *mostly* rumor and speculation at this point, but apparently a few of the LSU players got into a big brawl outside a nightclub Friday night - including Ryan Perilliloux. And from the rumors at least, it's not out of the question that the players involved could end up kicked off the team. Here's hoping it makes for a nice distraction for at least the next, oh, seven days or so...

More info should come out tomorrow in the press.

That IS interesting. Nothing anywhere so far. I looked through a number of sprots sites.

Comments on the top BCS rankings:

1. Ohio St.

OK, so they are at least pretty good. In fact, they looked great against PSU. But how good are they really? We just don't know. Even if they run the table in this year's Big 10, I'm not sure I'll be happy about them playing for the national championship. My respect for Tressel continues to grow, though.

2. Boston College

Blech, that was an ugly game on Thursday night. Frankly, I hardly care that they somehow pulled out a win in last couple of minutes. It's true that the game lasts 60 and not 58 minutes. But if this game is to be taken as an indicator of team strength and future success, I'll be betting against the Eagles, thank you.

3. LSU

Man, these guys are good, although they're not without weaknesses. What do you guys think is their Achilles heel? Their loss to fast-falling Kentucky is looking a little worse these days. Still, I'd love to see an LSU vs. Oregon/Oklahoma/WVA title game.

4. Arizona St.

I predicted a big Cal victory, but man ASU pulled out a frustratingly good second half. I'll still begrudge them their ranking, unless they win next week at OR. The bad thing about the ranking of the Pac-10 teams right now is that we just don't have enough info to make good rankings. The good thing is that there should be a very clear hierarchy in two weeks. Unlike the SEC, where TN controls it's destiny!

5. Oregon

Well, I'm a Duck. I can only imagine what they'd be like if they hadn't lost their #2 and #3 recievers and their (very good) #2 back. And even if they win out, it'll be hard for them to end up in the title game.

Other top teams I like, or whose rankings seem reasonable: Oklahoma, West Virginia, Georgia, even Alabama (in spite of their coach).

Teams I'm less convinced by:

Florida - here's a pretty good team, which somehow has their only quality win against fast-falling Kentucky.

Virginia Tech - speaking of quality wins, VT's best is, um, Clemson...or NC? They played hard against BC, but they looked terrible.

Kansas - how do they get away with a Big 12 schedule that doesn't include Oklahoma or Texas Tech? Hopefully, Missouri will take them down in a few weeks. I haven't seen them play much, so this is more of an argument on principle.

Michigan - have people just forgotten about the first two games of the season? Are the victories over Penn State and Illinois that impressive? Rich, what would you say is making folks rank Michigan so highly? What do you see that you like?

Edited by Jeff Kolb

Michigan - have people just forgotten about the first two games of the season? Are the victories over Penn State and Illinois that impressive? Rich, what would you say is making folks rank Michigan so highly? What do you see that you like?

I see this season (the 7-0 season) as essentially a gift, so I'll be blunt. To answer your question, nothing. In fact, I don't like the ranking for the simple reason that they play better underestimated. OTOH, Hart and Henne sat out the game Saturday. I'm hoping that LSu is in real trouble so that Miles has a reason to leave. Right.

That IS interesting. Nothing anywhere so far. I looked through a number of sprots sites.

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/wwl102....1baeaf366.html

Some of the allegations floating around are more serious than what's been reported so far. So nothing more may come of it, but it at least looks like they'll be missing Perilloux vs. Bama. Why couldn't Doucet, Flynn, and Hester have been the ones involved? :)