What happened to this man after the Olympic bombing was tragic, and I feel is still one of the deepest scars on the world wide media and the Department of Justice. It really took too long for apologies to be made to him.

Story here.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Though I was not searching for anything at all on this, I encountered a few pieces. The ONLY ones that got it right were an NPR piece that highlightedthe extent to which he never recovered professionally from the FBI's and NBC's arrogant and grievious error and an "On the Media" eulogy that I heard this morning.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

The Richard Jewell incident is what turned me into a skeptic when it comes to law enforcement. Before Jewell's life was utterly ruined by the government, I used to (foolishly) back the police anytime a story broke about a suspect claiming he was wrongly accused.

May the guy rest in peace.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 12 years later...

Ken, maybe you could move this thread to the Film forum now that this trailer has been released. This is supposed to be getting a big awards season push. 

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 10 months later...
On 9/3/2007 at 2:33 PM, Christian said:

The Richard Jewell incident is what turned me into a skeptic when it comes to law enforcement. Before Jewell's life was utterly ruined by the government, I used to (foolishly) back the police anytime a story broke about a suspect claiming he was wrongly accused.

I mentioned during the most recent A&F Zoom call that I'd started watching Eastwood's Richard Jewell. I've now finished it. I suppose it should have made me angry on this weekend of protests against overzealous law enforcement, but I confess that I didn't think primarily of my skepticism toward law enforcement while watching this film. Instead, I marveled at - no, that's too strong of a word - was impressed by the performances, and found myself wondering why Eastwood can be so good - not all the time, but far from rarely - across different genres.

I've read about Eastwood's working methods as a director and find them rather mystifying, so I've been content to let his output be very hit-and-miss, especially as he's aged. Nothing really unifies his best films - Unforgiven, The Bridges of Madison County, Letters From Iwo Jima, Changeling and this one (I haven't seen The Mule but have heard some good things) - other than Eastwood himself, so I've got to hand it to the guy. I don't know how he does it, but every time I'm ready to write him off, he delivers a movie of exceptional quality. Richard Jewell is one of those.

I had speculated on Twitter that, because I have a weakness for cinematography, it may be the DP who makes the difference in the Eastwood films I've most admired. Of course, that rationale doesn't stand up to scrutiny: The Eastwood films I've most admired each have different DPs, with the exception of Tom Stern, who's been the cinematographer for a couple of them. I had thought Stern also was DP on Richard Jewell, but he's not. Instead, Eastwood's latest DP is Yves Belanger, whose work I thought was unfamiliar to me until I looked up his credits and discovered he'd been DP on the great Laurence Anyways. He also worked with Eastwood on The Mule, which I guess I really need to see. 

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I never posted my review, so here's a link: http://1morefilmblog.com/2019/12/07/richard-jewell-eastwood-2019/

There is a certain amount of chutzpah in suggesting (as I believe the script does) that the key to understanding this story is that it is less about prejudice against conservatives or liberals than it is about prejudice against fat people. Sometimes chutzpah pays off, though. Whether Richard is a security guard on a campus or part of the team at the Olympics, those whom he interacts with are quick to challenge him because he doesn’t fit their preconceived notions of what authority should look like. Those for whom he works tend to believe the worst of him, making him vulnerable to complaints and false accusations. The film presents the events following the Atlanta bombing as being different in scope than what Richard has experienced his whole life, but certainly not different in kind. It is the same old shit, and it is rolling downhill onto the people who have been asked to eat it all their lives.

I watched the film the other night after Ken and Christian mentioned enjoying it on the last Zoom chat. I really liked it.

My quick thoughts on Letterboxd.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.