Takers for fantasy pucks?

We've tried baseball and football. Anyone interested in fantasy hockey? Any of you Canadians want to try to claim that Canada is the real hockey nation, even thought the Stanley Cup usually goes to American teams -- and even though Canadian cities can't keep teams that move south of the border?

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I'll take the Canada bait:

When "American" teams outnumber Canadian ones 4:1, I think Math trumps nationality. The real tell is the percentage of Canadian players on the roster compared to other countries, not what city they happen to be playing out of. Nor what nationality the owner is. Canadians don't claim to be the real sports business country.

Where math is confounded by nationality is in the fact that Canada has 30 million people compared to Russia's 140- and the U.S.'s 300 million, yet the most common nationality on any list of top players is Canadian.

Truly Great goalies of recent years: Patrick Roy (Cdn), Martin Brodeur (Cdn), Dominik Hasek (Czech), Roberto Luongo (Cdn)

Forwards: Wayne Gretzky (Cdn), Mario Lemieux (Cdn), Mark Messier (Cdn), Steve Yzerman (Cdn), Brett Hull (dual citizen, raised in the Cdn hockey system), Mike Modano (US), Sidney Crosby (Cdn), Alexander Ovechkin (Russian), Jaromir Jagr (Czech),

Defensemen: Scott Stevens (Cdn), Scott Niedermeyer (Cdn), Chris Pronger (Cdn), Chris Chelios (US)

+++

Well, I suppose I ought to join the fantasy hockey league after that rant. Can you explain more how it works? The hockey pools I've participated in in the past have been really simple. You just make your picks at the beginning of the year (no trades) and you get 1 point per assist and 1 point per goal. I don't know if I can commit to something where I'll have to be making trades every week. So what's the scoop?

+++

PS - there have been 9 NHL relocations since 1970. 7 were American teams, and one of them came to Canada. One of the two Canadian relocations was the smallest market in the league with 600,000 people.

Well, I suppose I ought to join the fantasy hockey league after that rant. Can you explain more how it works? The hockey pools I've participated in in the past have been really simple. You just make your picks at the beginning of the year (no trades) and you get 1 point per assist and 1 point per goal. I don't know if I can commit to something where I'll have to be making trades every week. So what's the scoop?

There are options. There is a point system (3/goal, 2/asst, 1/+/-, 1/SOG (or maybe .3/SOG - we can adjust the points), goalie points 4/win, -1/GA, .2/save.

Or there is roto: various stat categories with whoever has the most in the category getting 10 points (if a ten league team) next most getting 9, etc.

Head to Head also uses roto categories, but it's a 2 team contest each week, your team gets a W, L or T based on how it does against your opponent.

Default roto categories are G, A, +/-, SOG, PiM, power play points for skaters; W, Saves, GAA, Save % for goalies. Each league can pick the categories it wants to use.

Roster adjustments are allowed daily.

-from the film
Armin

League is set up. Current setting is for roto scoring. Categories and roster make up are open for debate.

Go to http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey

League number: 48332

password: roughing

Since I'm going to be away at the end of October, I may want to run the draft around the 20th to 23rd.

-from the film
Armin

actually, my timing for draft above is off. Season to start soon. Let's gather some players and I'll set the league to score retroactive if we're a little slow getting to draft.

-from the film
Armin