Sign in to follow this  
Jason Panella

Worthwhile music we missed the first time around

Guest thom_jurek
Last I checked, Speedy West is still alive, but a stroke has rendered him unable to play.

Here, however, is Mike Perlowin and his pedal-steel take on Stravinsky's Firebird Suite ... and it looks like he's got a Bernstein record out as well.

Sorry, I wasn't clear--I meant shortly after For The Last Time, Jimmy Bryant died. Speedy is still hangin in.

Guest thom_jurek

Before I read the stuff about steel guitar players, I meant to write in about the actual topic of this thread: I missed two brilliant records by saxophonist Rysty Bryant form the early 1970s called Fireater and Wildfire. these are simple, meat and potatoes, raw, honking, brin down the house organ, sax guitar and drum records that simply wail. I have no idea how they got by me the first time, but I'm glad as they come I didn't miss them this time around. Weirdly enough, a lot of the really great jazz funk stuff I missed in the 70s while I was dig deep between hard freaky soul , vanguard jazz and guttersnipe rock and roll music (with a dash of Tom Waits here, Can there, and Bob Dyan stil everywhere) has come to me courtesy of the hip hop generation. I don't spend a lot of time listening to rap music. I spend no time listeing to hip hop that's on the radio, and the only other stuff I get to hear is carefully screened for me by my co-workers Marissa Brown and Andy Kellman and once in a while John Bush--all of whom are MUCH younger than I am. But this has been the case since LL Cool Ja's Big Ole Butt took the Motor City's own Dennis Coffey's (second gen Funk Brother (1968-75) Motown guitar player who lays down the killer wah wah guitar on the Temptations' Cloud Nine) into to his tune "Scorpio," form one of his Sussex records that I even remembered it. I had to go hunt down his other records and the four on Sussex, Hair And Tangs, and a few others like Goin' For Myself, are simply smokin. There are tons of records that I miss now to be sure. But there were always tons I missed, and so as well as checking out new things, I love to let the crate diggers hip me to some things I missed--Rusty Bryant's early 70s records are just the latest in a long line for me.

Before I read the stuff about steel guitar players, I meant to write in about the actual topic of this thread: I missed two brilliant records by saxophonist Rysty Bryant form the early 1970s called Fireater and Wildfire. these are simple, meat and potatoes, raw, honking, brin down the house organ, sax guitar and drum records that simply wail. I have no idea how they got by me the first time, but I'm glad as they come I didn't miss them this time around. Weirdly enough, a lot of the really great jazz funk stuff I missed in the 70s while I was dig deep between hard freaky soul , vanguard jazz and guttersnipe rock and roll music (with a dash of Tom Waits here, Can there, and Bob Dyan stil everywhere) has come to me courtesy of the hip hop generation. I don't spend a lot of time listening to rap music. I spend no time listeing to hip hop that's on the radio, and the only other stuff I get to hear is carefully screened for me by my co-workers Marissa Brown and Andy Kellman and once in a while John Bush--all of whom are MUCH younger than I am. But this has been the case since LL Cool Ja's Big Ole Butt took the Motor City's own Dennis Coffey's (second gen Funk Brother (1968-75) Motown guitar player who lays down the killer wah wah guitar on the Temptations' Cloud Nine) into to his tune "Scorpio," form one of his Sussex records that I even remembered it. I had to go hunt down his other records and the four on Sussex, Hair And Tangs, and a few others like Goin' For Myself, are simply smokin. There are tons of records that I miss now to be sure. But there were always tons I missed, and so as well as checking out new things, I love to let the crate diggers hip me to some things I missed--Rusty Bryant's early 70s records are just the latest in a long line for me.

Rusty was a Columbus jazz institution. He played right down the road from me all the time. I regret that during his lifetime I wasn't much of a jazz fan (I really didn't "get" the music until I was well into my thirties), and that I never saw him perform. Columbus was also home to Nancy Wilson and Rahsaan Roland Kirk! Who woulda thunk it?

Columbus was also home to Nancy Wilson

Are you talking of this Nancy Wilson?

First time I heard of her, was through Maria McKee's recent cover of that song (on Peddlin' Dreams two years ago)

Edited by Hugues

Columbus was also home to Nancy Wilson

Are you talking of this Nancy Wilson?

First time I heard of her, was through Maria McKee's recent cover of that song (on Peddlin' Dreams two years ago)

That's the one; the jazz singer, not the guitarist in Heart. She was also the singer in Rusty Bryant's band in the mid-'50s.

Got a handful from my most recent batch at eMusic.

Here's what I got:

-Red House Painters- Ocean Beach 5.0/5

-Idaho- Hearts of Palm 4.5/5

-Mogwai- My Father, My King 3.5/5 (easily one of the best deals on eMusic...one 20-some minute track)

-Mogwai- 4 Satin EP 4.0/5

-Velvet Crush- Free Expression 3.0/5

-Okkervil River- the Stage Names 5.0/5

-Archers of Loaf- Archers of Loaf single 4.0/5

I was really blown away by the Idaho album; there are a couple of missteps, but there are a few tracks that are incredibly. I haven't gone 30 minutes without listening to them or humming them.

Edited by Jason Panella

I think what I have to say shortly may fit here. It's about Jess Klein. I've been listening to her at times for years pleasantly, without being totally convinced, but in the latest months I've been more than charmed by her voice and music. I actually find her voice totally moving.

I think I was a bit more on the singer songwriters thing in the past and used to neglect Ms Klein too much, unfortunately. But lately I had my 60's-girl-group-pop phase and it gave me a new approach to some musics, Jess Klein's one among them.

Strawberry Lover (2005) is a delight, and City Garden (2006) is admirable. She sounds like one daughter of Jackie DeShannon, in some way.

Let me recommend Blood on the Slacks, the latest EP from the supergroup Golden Smog that at various times has included Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, The Jayhawks' Gary Louris, and members of Soul Asylum and Run Westy Run. Louris, who has been missing from the past couple Golden Smog albums, is all over this one. He's a great guitarist, and a very fine songwriter whose melodic hooks and instantly memorable choruses frequently mask the melancholy at the heart of his music. This is a good one I totally overlooked when it arrived on my desk a few months back.

Wow, didn't they just have a full-length released less than a year ago too?

Consistently good band, though; Down by the Old Mainstream is fantastic (and sports one of my favorite album titles of all time, too). Louris is such an underappreciated songwriter, in my opinion.

Got a handful from my most recent batch at eMusic.

Here's what I got:

-Red House Painters- Ocean Beach 5.0/5

-Idaho- Hearts of Palm 4.5/5

-Mogwai- My Father, My King 3.5/5 (easily one of the best deals on eMusic...one 20-some minute track)

-Mogwai- 4 Satin EP 4.0/5

-Velvet Crush- Free Expression 3.0/5

-Okkervil River- the Stage Names 5.0/5

-Archers of Loaf- Archers of Loaf single 4.0/5

I was really blown away by the Idaho album; there are a couple of missteps, but there are a few tracks that are incredibly. I haven't gone 30 minutes without listening to them or humming them.

Red House Painters are the next band on my list. Once I work through Low, Bedhead, and Rachel that is.

You're not kidding that My Father, My King is one of the best deals on emusic. It's almost criminal.

4-Satin is worth it for the price of "Superheroes of the BMX" alone. What a sweet song.

I'll have to go revisit Idaho. It's been too long for me as well.

Got some more free downloads from eMusic for getting a friend to join! Here's what I got:

Idaho - Levitate 3.5/5

Jawbox - For Your Own Special Sweetheart 3.5/5

National Skyline - National Skyline 3.0/5

Okkervil River - Black Sheep Box Appendix 4.5/5

Okkervil River - The President's Dead 4.0/5

Josh Ritter - The Animal Years 4.0/5

Good stuff. I was surprised at how consistent the Okkervil River EP was, was surprised at how inconsistent the National Skyline disc was (I got that based on the HUM association). I was also underwhelmed by the Jawbox album; there's some great, angular post-punk on there, but it's not as solid as their final self-titled album. The Idaho album is also pretty good, but is much more subdued their some of their other releases. It's a background album where the other releases of theirs grab your attention better.

Ah man, I forgot about National Skyline. They were one of my first emusic purchases. I remember listening to them a great deal about 5 or 6 years ago but haven't thought of them much. 3 stars is about right.

If you're looking for ONE Okkervil River song, might I suggest "Kansas City" from, I think, Down the River...

Ah man, I forgot about National Skyline. They were one of my first emusic purchases. I remember listening to them a great deal about 5 or 6 years ago but haven't thought of them much. 3 stars is about right.

Did you ever listen to Antarctica? They were National Skyline's labelmates on File-13. Really great stuff, blending Cure-ish post-punk sounds with Underworld-ish electronica. I saw them open for the Gloria Record back in '99 or so, and they blew the Gloria Record away.

Did you ever listen to Antarctica? They were National Skyline's labelmates on File-13. Really great stuff, blending Cure-ish post-punk sounds with Underworld-ish electronica. I saw them open for the Gloria Record back in '99 or so, and they blew the Gloria Record away.

Funny you mention Antarctica. When Jason mentioned National Skyline my next thought was of Antartica. I too saw them open for the Gloria Record around that time and was pretty obsessed with the Gloria Record, what with me being a Mineral junkie and all and thought Antarctica blew them away too. The electronica of their music took their live show to a whole new level. I never thought their full-length quite reached the level of their live show but found it to be pretty good if not a bit too long, although it never felt indulgant (which a two disc album has the tendency of doing).

Let me add Emotionalism by The Avett Brothers to my growing list of great music I missed the first time around. This is self-loathing as high art, and rock 'n roll played with banjos. Part of the appeal, of course, is that the Avett Brothers don't so much play their bluegrass instruments as bludgeon them. And part of the appeal is the letter-perfect imitation of 1964 British Invasion songs. With banjos. But the biggest part of the appeal is the songs -- nakedly personal ruminations on being an asshole, and not being proud of the fact. If this were an Emo album I would probably hate it. But those banjos make it all okay.

I've just stumbled across Julie Doiron. I'm really enjoying her music, particularly the song, "Yer Kids."

Hugues got me listening to Woke Myself Up. I have to add my acclaim for the album. Very solid and accessibly quirky. I'm glad I've heard this album because I "missed" her earlier work, or at least it didn't do much for me. Maybe a revisit is in order.

Yeah, I'm hoping to invest in an album or two by her sometime soon. What I've heard of, Woke Myself Up, sounds highly enjoyable.

I also love Goodnight Nobody, the previous album (2004), half of the songs were recorded in Paris with Herman D

For whatever reason its snowing in Bellingham today. Has God forgotten its almost April?

A lazy snowy Saturday is the perfect occasion for some slow meandering jams. After spinning Sun Kil Moon I decided to turn my attention to Idaho, something I've been meaning to do for awhile now. I spun Atlas, and, it's...pretty mesmorizing. I'm kind of mad at myself for forgetting about this album.

So Jason, or anybody else, what Idaho album should I get next?

Kyle wrote:

: For whatever reason its snowing in Bellingham today. Has God forgotten its almost April?

It snowed yesterday here in Surrey -- less than an hour's drive north of you -- but the snow was all gone after a few hours. I just peeked outside the window, and there's no precipitation whatsoever.

more than likely not the post to post this on but......music I barely heard the 1st time around. I was making a "70's" disc for my older brother the other day and I gotta say, it turned out well.

out in the country - three dog night

let me go - batdorff and rodney

the road shines bright - john stewart

sunset woman - b.w. stevenson

I looked away - derek and the dominoes

go back home - stephen stills

faithless love - linda ronstadt

stars - dan fogleberg

california suite: light shine - jessie colin young

shine on - heartsfield

future games - fleetwood mac

day after day - gypsy

move on - loggins and messina

wait a minute - johnny rivers

lost her in the sun - john stewart

for those who remember any of these....this has been a fun trip in my head to listen to again!

Kyle wrote:

: For whatever reason its snowing in Bellingham today. Has God forgotten its almost April?

It snowed yesterday here in Surrey -- less than an hour's drive north of you -- but the snow was all gone after a few hours. I just peeked outside the window, and there's no precipitation whatsoever.

I actually live a bit outside of Bellingham. I went into town just a minute ago and it was raining quite hard. But my house has 1 1/2 inches of snow.

Oh, and I know Surrey. I actually just drove past it a week and a half ago. It's weird that its not even raining there.

more than likely not the post to post this on but......music I barely heard the 1st time around. I was making a "70's" disc for my older brother the other day and I gotta say, it turned out well.

out in the country - three dog night

let me go - batdorff and rodney

the road shines bright - john stewart

sunset woman - b.w. stevenson

I looked away - derek and the dominoes

go back home - stephen stills

faithless love - linda ronstadt

stars - dan fogleberg

california suite: light shine - jessie colin young

shine on - heartsfield

future games - fleetwood mac

day after day - gypsy

move on - loggins and messina

wait a minute - johnny rivers

lost her in the sun - john stewart

for those who remember any of these....this has been a fun trip in my head to listen to again!

I think you and I were two of the seven people who bought those Batdorff and Rodney albums. I still pull them out occasionally. I still like them; gentle hippies making folkie CSN&Y-derived music. Plus Rodney had the biggest Afro-gone-bad I've ever seen.

Edited by Andy Whitman