The Birds (remake)

Link to the 'Favourite Hitchcocks' thread, where rumours of this film first surfaced two-and-a-half years ago. It sounds like this one may be in development heck for a while still.

- - -

Naomi Watts set for 'Birds' remake

Naomi Watts will star and Martin Campbell is in negotiations to direct Universal's new version of "The Birds."

U is planning a reimagining of Daphne Du Maurier's short story, which inspired the 1963 Alfred Hitchcock classic.

Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller will produce through their Platinum Dunes shingle, while Peter Guber and Cathy Schulman are producing for Mandalay Pictures.

U is not looking to rush the pic into production prior to a possible strike. . . .

Variety, October 18

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 year later...

PRODUCERS SAY THIS REMAKE MIGHT BE FOR THE BIRDS

It looks like the guys at Platinum Dunes may be hitting the wall when it comes to their long-announced remake of Hitchcock's The Birds. If you've been following the project, which at one point was going to star Naomi Watts, you probably have realized the heat on its has been cooling - it's been three or four years since it was first announced. Now producers Brad Fuller and Andrew Form seem to be backing away from the film.

CHUD.com, June 15

Stupid Remake Of The Birds Finally Being Scrapped?

But you know what's a great argument against them ever, ever going near this? Both Form and Fuller complained that birds don't do enough to build a horror movie around them. "What do they do? They peck and poke," Fuller complained, as Form interjected, "And poop." You know, when Hitchcock made the original movie, I'm pretty sure he realized this, which is why he made The Birds an exercise in sound design and cooped-up tension rather than some generic horror movie in which you look forward to all the different ways the victims can get killed.

CinemaBlend.com, June 16

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Stupid Remake Of The Birds Finally Being Scrapped?

But you know what's a great argument against them ever, ever going near this? Both Form and Fuller complained that birds don't do enough to build a horror movie around them. "What do they do? They peck and poke," Fuller complained, as Form interjected, "And poop." You know, when Hitchcock made the original movie, I'm pretty sure he realized this, which is why he made The Birds an exercise in sound design and cooped-up tension rather than some generic horror movie in which you look forward to all the different ways the victims can get killed.

CinemaBlend.com, June 16

Oh please, oh please, oh please may this remake never be. I agree with Katey Rich of the above CinemaBlend: "There are some stories that are only meant to be told once."

Oh please, oh please, oh please may this remake never be. I agree with Katey Rich of the above CinemaBlend: "There are some stories that are only meant to be told once."

I'm not 100 percent convinced The Birds was meant to be told even once.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

• 9 months later...

Big, Big, LOL :)

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

QUOTE (pilgrimscrybe @ Jun 22 2009, 05:56 PM) Oh please, oh please, oh please may this remake never be. I agree with Katey Rich of the above CinemaBlend: "There are some stories that are only meant to be told once."

Hitchcock's most over-rated IYO?

QUOTE (pilgrimscrybe @ Jun 22 2009, 05:56 PM) Oh please, oh please, oh please may this remake never be. I agree with Katey Rich of the above CinemaBlend: "There are some stories that are only meant to be told once."

Hitchcock's most over-rated IYO?

Well, I haven't seen every Hitchcock by a long shot, and I don't have a final verdict even on The Birds (I only said I wasn't 100 percent convinced of its merits). I do remember seeing it (or most of it) on a TV broadcast and thinking that it was pretty silly. I'd be willing to give it another shot.

That YouTube vid is awesome though. The sing-along subtitles at that one bit are a brilliant touch.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

I was driving home with a friend tonight and he was describing the joys of Netflix. He's not much of a "film guy", but he really likes "Lost," and he's in the middle of Season Two. I told them that was as far as I got with "Lost," and someday, after the show wraps up (which I believe is soon), I'd like to watch the whole thing from the beginning. He told me he was sticking a new "Lost" in every fourth spot in his queue. In other words, he had Season One at four, Season Two at eight, Season Three at Twelve*, etc. He said it would be too much to watch them all at once, but he felt he'd found a system whereby he thinks he's going to eventually see them all.

He's an older guy -- not that you have to be, but it helps, and I knew he'd appreciate this -- I told him I just did the same thing with Hitchcock. That I have Psycho stacked about four films away from Notorious, which is about four away from Rear Window, which is about four away from North by Northwest, etc. He liked that. He said that, as an older guy, he thought the kids (by kids he was referring to me, and I'm going to be forty in two weeks, but I'll save that for later) -- the kids wouldn't watch Hitchcock. That he was a genius but too outdated for the kids. I told him how I've been coming to admire Mr. Hitchcock's films again lately.

We then discussed all of the films, which ones we thought were the best. In fact, we both loved them all. But then he paused for a moment and said something like, "You know... There's only one film that just didn't work for me. In fact I'm surprised that Hitchcock even bothered to put his name on it, that's how bad it is. It's the one with all those effin' birds."

"The Birds?" I say.

"Yeah, that's the one! God, was that awful," he says.

So the older generation that are still cool and hip enough to love "Lost" have spoken, and they are in full agreement with SDG.

* Or maybe it was the first disc of season one at four, the second disc of season one at eight, but you get the idea.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 7 months later...