The Year of the Runner Up

• January, 2007 -- The Ohio State Buckeyes lose to the Florida Gators in the NCAA Football Championship Game
  • April, 2007 -- The Ohio State Buckeyes lose to the Florida Gators in the NCAA Basketball Championship Game
  • June, 2007 -- The Cleveland Cavaliers lose to the San Antonio Spurs in the National Basketball Association Finals
  • October, 2007 -- The Cleveland Indians lose to the Boston Red Sox in the Major League Baseball American League Championship Series.
You can tell a lot about a city by its airport(s). I recently traveled to Europe and witnessed this firsthand. In Atlanta Edited by Andy Whitman

Some folks should just learn to take the good with the heartbreak. Nothing you have mentioned here compares with the Lions of the last 50 years, the Tigers of the seventies and nineties, the Pistons before Isiah (who lost to Lebron last year, that was some hurdle for that kid!), Wolverine basketball (say no more), and the Swoonerines. Oh, and of course the kid brother around here, MSU.

Folks around here whine about Carr, my wife who holds an MS from UM chief among them. And yet despite the annual soap opera, there is gratitude for the various sports wealths around here that often are tempered by the various sports wealths in The Heart of Darkness to the south, if you know what I mean. In college atheletics alone, lemme see: the never was that sometimes tempts of the USC Gamecocks in so many sports, Mizzou, Indiana, Iowa (the have a WRESTLING tradition for Pete's sake), Illinois, Cal, Arizona, Rutgers, Alabama, Auburn, the other OSU, Maryland, Ole' Miss, Virginia, even North Carolina is in a rough patch despite high tradition in baseball, soccer, basketball, and lacross. Need I go on? These are among the prominent. Imagine the traditions of the never were.... Besides, even the Wall Street Journal has picked up on the atheletic budget. Heh, the brass ring should always be in reach for that kind of cabbage. And it is isn't it?

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Some folks should just learn to take the good with the heartbreak. Nothing you have mentioned here compares with the Lions of the last 50 years, the Tigers of the seventies and nineties, the Pistons before Isiah (who lost to Lebron last year, that was some hurdle for that kid!), Wolverine basketball (say no more), and the Swoonerines. Oh, and of course the kid brother around here, MSU.

No comparison at all. I agree. But probably not in the way you think. Detroit has had multiple championship runs from the Pistons and the Red Wings, and at least a couple ('68 and '84; am I missing any?) World Series championships from the Tigers since the last time a Cleveland sports team sniffed glory (the '64 Browns). There is no professional sports city in America that can top the kind of sustained futility that the longsuffering fans in Cleveland, Ohio have endured. To add insult to injury, they also have to live in Cleveland.

Edited by Andy Whitman