Sign in to follow this  

Oscars Party near Philadelphia (& elsewhere)

Hmmm, perhaps this isn't the thread in which to bring this up, but does anyone know if ChristianityToday.com is going to have another Oscar chat like last year's?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I had hoped to throw another Hamaker Oscar bash, low key though they be, but it looks like that won't happen this year. We just got the greenlight to re-inhabit our home, which was damaged Sept. 18 by Hurricane Isabel. It's like moving in all over again, with our stored belongings now returned to us, but all boxed up. We'll still be unpacking by the time of the Oscar broadcast.

If it were just me living in the house, I'd throw a party and turn it into a housewarming/Oscar party. But I'm a married man, and my wife would be mortified to invite people over to a home that wasn't ready for "prime time."

So no party. However, we're very grateful to the Lord for sustaining us during the 5-plus months away from home. Thanks to any and all of you who thought of or prayed for us during that time.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

If anyone here is going to be in the NW suburbs of Philadelphia on the evening of the 29th, let me know (via private message) and I'll send an invitation to the Oscars party we're having at my house.

I almost was going to be in that area on the 29th, well near Sinking Springs, PA at least. That isn't going to happen but it would have been great to meet up, comment on the superficial garments marching down the red carpet and being surprised at the final announcements. Fortunately we do have a little get together to attend.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]