What videogames have you been playing recently?

125 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I plan on using the "Shakespearean drama" line on my wife midway through the eight consecutive hours of basketball I will watch on Saturday.

Edited by Andy Whitman

Posted · Report post

I finally beat the single player game of Borderlands the other night. It's a rare that I play a game and immediately want to play it again. Thankfully, Borderlands has an option that lets you play through the game again from the beginning (with the same character), just upping the difficulty of everything to match you character's level. This game is a blast.

Posted · Report post

Just picked this up on your recommendation. Thanks for the nod.

Posted · Report post

Just picked this up on your recommendation. Thanks for the nod.

It really is a lot like the Diablo games — kill stuff, get randomized loot, repeat. But the cel-shaded graphics and not-horrible story (as tacked on as it may feel) are worth noting. The weeeeeeird sense of humor might take a while to get used to, but you seem like you'll be fine, Michael.

Posted · Report post

I recently finished Dragon Age 2, which I found surprisingly unsatisfying given my love for all things BioWare. I've posted a few thoughts here.

Posted · Report post

Epic Mickey

Posted · Report post

I picked up the old Chronicles of Narnia game that came out around... 2002ish? I believe it came out in tandem with the first film.

I thought it would be fun to play with my daughter, as she gets to be Susan and Lucy while I am the boys. It is a blast. The game basically follows a storyboard that leads up to a battle with the White Witch. You purchase different skills for each of the characters after collecting coins and things. The only problem with this game is that if you are not playing two player, you have to toggle between the four characters to accomplish different tasks. On top of this, the PC controls are really complicated. This makes the experience of playing very frustrating at certain bosses and stages because it is impossible really to solo through this content having to toggle back and forth and keep up with all the different command cycles.

So I do skip levels using a cheat I found so my daughter doesn't: A. Get bored. B. Learn all the Frustrating Boss words that Daddy shouldn't be using. Doing this, playing through a fairly seamless storyline has been a lot of fun for us. She really enjoys the RPG elements as well.

Posted · Report post

Last night I played through the first 6 chambers or so of Portal 2. I am so stoked to be able to burn the turrets with fire :P and the other innovations that I've gotten to are cool too. But most of all I am just enjoying a good, solid puzzle game, there are not enough of these and Valve does puzzles so well.

Posted · Report post

Last night I played through the first 6 chambers or so of Portal 2. I am so stoked to be able to burn the turrets with fire :P and the other innovations that I've gotten to are cool too. But most of all I am just enjoying a good, solid puzzle game, there are not enough of these and Valve does puzzles so well.

Oh, and did I mention that it is hilarious?

"So, how are you holding up? Because I'm a Potato."

Posted · Report post

I finally finished New Vegas. I sided with the NCR but I have to say, the ending for it was lame. My friend told me the alternate endings are a lot better.

Posted · Report post

It really is a lot like the Diablo games — kill stuff, get randomized loot, repeat. But the cel-shaded graphics and not-horrible story (as tacked on as it may feel) are worth noting. The weeeeeeird sense of humor might take a while to get used to, but you seem like you'll be fine, Michael.

Finally got to play Borderlands online with a few friends. Man, I've now logged over 60 hours in this game and I'm still enjoying it. Multiplayer really is a blast. I wish I had a mic that worked, but I'm getting by for now.

Did I just quote myself?

Posted · Report post

Finally got to play Borderlands online with a few friends. Man, I've now logged over 60 hours in this game and I'm still enjoying it. Multiplayer really is a blast. I wish I had a mic that worked, but I'm getting by for now.

Did I just quote myself?

I miss playing this with my roommate my final semester in college. He was taking a light load, and I only needed 9 hours to graduate. That meant waaaaay too much time for Borderlands. I never did snag a Chimera, that revolver that randomly shoots one of 3 different elements, but I was content with my Skullmasher.

Posted · Report post

I miss playing this with my roommate my final semester in college. He was taking a light load, and I only needed 9 hours to graduate. That meant waaaaay too much time for Borderlands. I never did snag a Chimera, that revolver that randomly shoots one of 3 different elements, but I was content with my Skullmasher.

I found a Maliwan Firehawk near the end of the first playthrough, a repeater pistol that does x6 fire damage (even though it only lists it as x4). I'm about 2/3 of the way through the second playthrough and I'm still using the gun. It's incredible, and I sometimes feel like I'm cheating when I use it.

Posted · Report post

I started Infamous 2...so far so good...

Posted · Report post

I recently finished Portal 2, which I enjoyed. But it felt very much like two different games that were smushed together. It felt like they were trying to do a sequel and a prequel at the exact same time, and it didn't come together very well. But there were definitely some brilliant moments scattered throughout.

Now I just need to go back and finish the first Portal game...

Posted · Report post

I'm really enjoying this. I really loved the first and this just seems to have made everything better. Getting around is such a joy! Evil is always easier so I've started on that playthrough. Which are you doing?

On another note, I've been renting it @ Redbox. They just started renting games here last Friday. I've grabbed it 3 times and will keep it from about noon the first day to 9PM the next day for 2 bucks. I figure if I pay $10 for a single playthrough, then that's a good deal.

Posted · Report post

Currently playing a free online game called, "League of Legends." It's was created off a Warcraft 3 mod called, "Defense of the Ancients", or, more popularly referred to as "Dota." It's really in a class of its own gameplay-wise. It has the instant gratification of PvPing like a FPS, with no real need to spend hours building or leveling, but also with the strategy of a RTS game.

I'd like to play L.A. Noire and I can't wait for Mass Effect 3.

Posted · Report post

Playing through "Infamous 2", also. My wife demands that I play through as white as the wind-driven snow, so that's what I'm doing.

Posted · Report post

Playing through "Infamous 2", also. My wife demands that I play through as white as the wind-driven snow, so that's what I'm doing.

Heh... my wife makes similar demands when I play the Mass Effect or Dragon Age games.

Posted · Report post

On balance, I've been good, but I have to confess to upsetting her with the occasional collateral damage.

Posted · Report post

On balance, I've been good, but I have to confess to upsetting her with the occasional collateral damage.

Hah! That is rather hard to avoid. All those verandas!

I finished my Evil playthrough. The ending was actually pretty evil, rather than just pouty and selfish. That was rather surprising. In total, it cost me 6 bucks from Redbox. That's a good deal to me!

Posted · Report post

Started on Portal 2, but I have an itch to play through Super Metroid again for some reason,

Posted · Report post

I'm really enjoying this. I really loved the first and this just seems to have made everything better. Getting around is such a joy! Evil is always easier so I've started on that playthrough. Which are you doing?

I've been playing good. There were a couple times where I accidentally killed pedestrians...and I hated that. I also had in incident in Floodtown where I was far enough away and I fired upon, what I thought were three of the Ice soldiers-turned out it was three cops. They kept firing and I could not get at something because they kept firing...so...I damaged my good Karma...and then ran around trying to find people to save. :)

I have managed to lock off several "bad" side missions so far though. But some of those monsters are tough (I mean, the Bohemoth has one spot to attack-his mouth-which opens only when he spits acid).

Posted · Report post

I played through the single player of Portal 2, and the coop with my 9 year old son. Can't wait for the DLC!