Sign in to follow this  
Jason Panella

Critics' best of 2007

Metacritic has the top five (accumulated) scores for Wii, XBox360, PS2 & 3, PC and some of the handhelds. It's an interesting list, too; some obvious titles are tops for more than one system, but others didn't make the cut.

They also have the duds of the year listed, which is sorta fun.

Metacritic has the top five (accumulated) scores for Wii, XBox360, PS2 & 3, PC and some of the handhelds. It's an interesting list, too; some obvious titles are tops for more than one system, but others didn't make the cut.

They also have the duds of the year listed, which is sorta fun.

Very interesting list. The Wii section makes me a bit sad... it highlights the comparatively weak Wii software lineup. While I'm sure Super Mario Galaxy is a very nice game, as I was watching a coworker play it I didn't think "best game of the year".

A game I *did* think that about was Portal, aka The Orange Box, which is hands down my Game of the Year. It has shown up multiple times in this list for good reason. Extremely clever writing and puzzle-based gameplay make it a very fun, although regrettably short, gaming experience.

The DS and PSP sections are really quite interesting. War of the Lions is... as I understand, a re-release of a PS1 game. However that PS1 game was one of the top few released. I'm thinking I should go back and start to play through it now. I haven't had a chance to play Phantom Hourglass yet, but it's another one that I expect to be quite good.

I've spent several hours watching housemates play Mario Galaxy; while it's a game that would drive me absolutely batty in a short period of time, the level design is nothing short of genius. I can't stress that enough. My jaw fell open more than once. That game is really, really well made.

I've played exactly one new game this year: Bioshock. I don't have a gaming console. I'm playing on an iMac running Windows XP. This is hardly an optimum gaming system. And Bioshock, if you'll pardon the bad pun given the nature of the game, blows me out of the water. It brilliantly recreates a creepy world unlike any I've seen. And it scares the willies out of me. Even with the occasional glitches in running on a system that was never intended to support the game, it's the most immersive gaming experience I've ever encountered.

Right on, Andy -- I bought the game not too long ago, but have to upgrade my computer to run it well. Regardless, it's made by the same design team that made my favorite game ever, System Shock 2. And reviewers are saying BioShock is even better. I'm almost scared to play it.