Sufjan Stevens?!? (update: interesting review)

opus

Those of you who have been waiting for a proper release of Sufjan's Christmas-related material will be happy to know that Sufjan will be releasing a box set of all of his Christmas songs on November 21. And what a box set! Here's what it includes:

- Five individually packaged CD EPs!

- Five Christmas stickers!

- Extensive liner notes and short stories by Sufjan Stevens!

- An original Christmas essay by Rick Moody!

- An animated music video and comic strip by Tom Eaton!

- A Christmas Songbook with lyric sheets and chord charts--so you can sing along too!

- An original Christmas Family Portrait painting of Santa Sufjan (with wife and kids!) by Jacques Bredy!

Sufjan's Christmas stuff is among some of my fave Sufjan so far, but I only have CD-Rs that a friend burned for me a long time ago.

Click here for all the info.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anybody know the names of the songs that will grace the said box set? I have CDR's of the first three volumes of the Christmas EP's. I didn't even know there were five discs worth.

I don't think I can join Opus in saying they're my fav Sufjan stuff, but it is my favorite Christmas music. They're the only Christmas albums (except the Charlie Brown Christmas album) that I can stomach playing over and over again. Anyone who has listened to "Come on lets boogie to the Elf Dance" (or whatever its called) knows exactly what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I just noticed the link Opus so kindly provided and thus answered my own question. Thus, let it be said I am excited for this. Hooray. I have heard the first three volumes, the last two look great. Merry Christmas.

Edited by Kyle

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

I only had the three as well. I wonder if those were the only available. The last disc was recorded in June of this year, so likely that has not been heard yet.

Of the tracks I haven't heard, "Get Behind Me, Santa!" looks very promising.

Maybe we need a new Sufjan thread to review his tour 'cause just came back from the concert in Austin and it was amazingly awesome. A much fuller production than any online video that I've seen of Sufjan. (No cheerleading) If you are debating about going to this one, do yourself a favor and go for heaven sakes. Don't miss this one. I wouldn't have even considered myself a full-blown fan before tonight.

Edited by run

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the LA show a few nights ago. Sufjan certainly knows how to put on a show: band members wearing wings, blow-up superman and santa dolls falling from the balcony...

Unfortunately, I sat directly in front of the most obnoxious idiot I've ever had the misfortune of sitting close to in a concert. I'm afraid, as good as the music was, that when I think back on the show my memories will mostly be negative because of that idiot. (Can't we hear Sufjan sing just *one* of the songs without your help? Especially since you can't even get the words right!!)

Anyway, I will mention that they played a new song that I absolutely loved. "Majesty Snowbird" or something like that. He called it their "theme song" and said it had been in his head for ten years. (not sure if he meant the title or the song... or the bird.) Anyway, if you get a chance to hear this song, don't miss it.

EDIT: And here's your chance! Looks like YouAintNoPicasso has links to both a live .mp3 and a youtube video of the song. You can just make out the wings in the video - but you're probably a little better off hearing the song off the live .mp3.

Edited by popechild

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

I downloaded "Majesty Snowbird" last week from Pitchfork, and yowza... it's fantastic. Nice and big and epic stuff, while still packing the pensiveness that we know and love. I'd love to see it live, but his current tour isn't coming anywhere close. :(

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else catch Austin City Limits? Sufjan only got about 20 minutes and performed only three songs, "Jacksonville," "Casimir Pulaski Day," and "Detroit." I didn't care as much for the new arrangement of "Casimir" with Sufjan on banjo, but "Detroit" was unbelievable. It was nice to get to see the band in full butterfly (?) wing regalia.

I would have been incredibly disappointed (instead of just a little disappointed) if ACL had clipped Sufjan's performance for anyone other than Calexico. In the past 14 months, I've seen both Sufjan and Calexico headline shows in small, intimate venues, and (at the risk of rising some ire around here) I have to admit that I preferred the Calexico show. When Calexico played "All Systems Red" (their last song on the ACL broadcast) here in Knoxville a few weeks ago, the theatre hit ecstatic heights that the Sufjan show I saw never quite reached.

I thought the song choices were quite odd for the televised event that only allows 4-5 songs. Why not perform "Chicago"? I was quite underwhelmed. I thought the butterfly wings appeared gimmiky and didn't translate well on television although when I saw him live it was refreshing, clever, inspiring and all-that.

I thought the song choices were quite odd for the televised event that only allows 4-5 songs. Why not perform "Chicago"? I was quite underwhelmed. I thought the butterfly wings appeared gimmiky and didn't translate well on television although when I saw him live it was refreshing, clever, inspiring and all-that.

When Sufjan played here in Seattle, he performed a good ten or fifteen songs, but only played Chicago as an encore performance.

Maybe he's trying to distance himself from the one almost radio hit on Illinoise, and focus more on the wider breadth of his work.

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

• 11 months later...

New York Magazine on Sufjan Stevens' upcoming orchestral suite:

But Stevens sees his classical sojourn as an exercise, not a long-term career goal.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 3 weeks later...

From the latest Asthmatic Kitty newsletter:

...Sufjan Stevens is busy working on a very special gift right now, for a very special person. And in the spirit of Christmas, that person will give Sufjan a similarly special gift.

Here's how it works: write an original Christmas song, record it, and email the song to us. Asthmatic Kitty will pick a winner, and that person will trade rights to their song for rights to a new Sufjan Christmas song.

Just like a gift exhange, Sufjan's new song becomes your song. You can hoard it for yourself, sell it to a major soft drink corporation, use it in your daughter's first Christmas video, or share it for free on your website. No one except Sufjan and you will hear his song, unless you decide otherwise. You get the song and all legal rights to it. We get the same rights to your song.

Complete details here. They're also streaming Sufjan's Christmas discs online for free at that URL as well.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 1 year later...

In October, Asthmatic Kitty will be releasing Run Rabbit Run, which finds several composers rearranging Sufjan's Enjoy Your Rabbit for the Osso string quartet (who contributed to Sufjan's Illinois as well as My Brightest Diamond's Bring Me The Workhorse).

Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone think Sufjan will ever release an album of new material? I'm leaning toward no by this point.

Does this count?

Back in October of 2007, Sufjan Stevens debuted The BQE—a visual and musical homage to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway—at the Brooklyn Academy of Music's (BAM) Howard Gilman Opera House in downtown Brooklyn. Originally commissioned by BAM for the Next Wave Festival, the BQE featured three simultaneous film projections, a 35-piece band and orchestra, and live hula hoopers for a 3-night run.

One week following the performances, Sufjan and his orchestra went into the studio to record the soundtrack, but afterwards, feeling disenfranchised by the magnitude of the universe, Sufjan decided to shelve the project. Until now. Two years later, Sufjan found inspiration to mix the music, edit the video and expand the project to include photographs, liner notes, a comic book, and a stereoscopic image reel—a multi-media package that attempts to render this much-loathed urban expressway into a conscionable work of art.

The trailer can be watched here.

Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh... it's purdy...

Has echoes of Christian Marclay's 'Video Quartet'. Can't wait!

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

This may be of interest to Sufjan fans. I'm not sure what to conclude from it.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 2 weeks later...