Where there's smoke... there's R

Darrel Manson

Wouldn't that make most of the noir films from the 40s R?

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Yeah, and the depiction of "Supersizing" will be next. Society at large is starting to remind me of my high school career at the "gulag".

Ha! Just thought of this, many of those most offended by smoking, at least historically, will not even go to "R" movies.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Since obesity is now the 2nd highest reason for mortality in the US, shouldn't all films that have fat people in them be rated "R"?

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Since obesity is now the 2nd highest reason for mortality in the US, shouldn't all films that have fat people in them be rated "R"?

Or, for that matter, any films preceded by a Coca-cola commercial!

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I think that we should do the rebel thing like Drew Carey did and light up a smoke. For you cigar lovers, like Rich and myself please join us in this protest. Whatdya say? Shoot, I'll even link arms with pot smokers (medicinal purposes only please!) :biggrinjester:

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

• 2 years later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 9 months later...
MPAA is making it official, smoking will be considered. Smoking won't automatically make it R. "Film raters will consider the pervasiveness of tobacco use, whether it glamorizes smoking and the context in which smoking appears, as in movies set in the past when smoking was more common."
A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Yeah, and the depiction of "Supersizing" will be next. Society at large is starting to remind me of my high school career at the "gulag".
Indeed, the Hollywood Reporter, in reporting on the recent smoking decree, states: "A Senate-FCC industry task force has been convened to identify ways of forcing content producers to encourage children to eat healthy foods."

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Andrew Ferguson spins it as the natural outgrowth of "family friendly" movie reviews!

"Astonishing," said a friend of mine--like me, a former smoker who holds only fond memories of our old habit, along with the occasional tug of nostalgic yearning. He had just seen the news last week that movies featuring characters who smoke will risk a more restrictive rating, from PG-13 to R, for example. Now, Voyager, the 1942 movie in which Paul Henreid lights two Camels and passes one to Bette Davis, would today earn an NC-17, along with the revulsion of the motion picture community. My friend could scarcely believe it.

But it's not astonishing at all, I said. Clearly he hadn't been reading, as I have for several years now, the "family friendly" film reviewers in the local paper and on various websites.

These tightly wound would-be critics aim to provide a unique public service, a kind of moralizing Consumer Reports for movies. They patrol the latest releases to warn parents away from shows that might not be suitable for the kids, and the moral universe they inhabit astonished me at first, too. It doesn't any longer.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

What I want to know is this: Does that scene of Bilbo and Gandalf blowing magically-shaped smoke in The Fellowship of the Ring "glamourize" smoking? Or are there "mitigating historical circumstances" here? (I focus on this particular scene because, on the DVD commentary, IIRC, Ian McKellen says there was talk of tweaking the script so that Gandalf had quit smoking and was now chewing on toffees. I *think* they were serious about this.)

Not much smoking in Waitress, but I wonder if it would have been enough to push it to an R. I doubt it, but it will remain to be seen when ratings including smoke start coming out.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 2 months later...

Links to the threads on 'Disney's "No Smoking" Policy' and 'Expunging Smoking From Cartoons'.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

• 4 weeks later...

Ban smoking on screen?

Most Canadians think that would be a drag

Globe and Mail, August 23

• 1 month later...

Now, Walden's The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep has been rated PG for "some action/peril, mild language and brief smoking". In this case it's pretty clear that the smoking hasn't affected the rating - it's not like it would have been G otherwise, I'm guessing - but that they want parents to know.

In the descriptions of R-rated movies smoking doesn't seem to come up at all; in PG-13 movies it seems to come up in the context of teen smoking (as in Grace is Gone), and in a PG-rated movie any smoking seems to be worth mention.

That's just how eye roll.

• 8 months later...

Anti-smoking movement catches on

The U.S. movement to reflect smoking depictions in film ratings has reached across the Pond.

A British Medical Assn. report issued last week (ironically titled "Forever Cool") urges the British Board of Film to automatically raise a film's rating a notch -- from, say, 15 to 18 -- if it shows smoking in a positive light.

Variety, July 13

That's pretty lame when "Brief Smoking" is a rating qualification. The first movie that I watched, 101 Dalmatians, had both heros and villains who smoked constantly, and I was also brought up on old classics like Casablanca where smoking was just a part of the culture. Miraculously, I didn't grow up to be a chain smoker! And I totally agree with Bobbin that these measures will only make smoking seem more cool and rebellious rather than off-limits.

There is also the question of whether ratings-board types should really be judging films based on how "positive" they make smoking seem to be. Remember how people used to take a few scenes out of context and complain that Trainspotting made drug use look cool?

Did anybody here catch the smoking notice at the end of the credits for Hellboy II? By the "based on fictional characters, etc." note, it claims that the smoking seen in the film is an artistic choice and not an endorsement. I found it silly, and it's maybe not a big deal, but I've not seen this before.

sanshiro_sugata wrote:

: Did anybody here catch the smoking notice at the end of the credits for Hellboy II? By the "based on fictional characters, etc." note, it claims that the smoking seen in the film is an artistic choice and not an endorsement. I found it silly, and it's maybe not a big deal, but I've not seen this before.

I didn't see it myself, but I think a friend of mine pointed it out.

FWIW, I note that the pass I just got for Mamma Mia! also features the warning "This Film Contains Depictions of Tobacco Consumption". What, are they CHEWING it and SWALLOWING it?

FWIW, I note that the pass I just got for Mamma Mia! also features the warning "This Film Contains Depictions of Tobacco Consumption". What, are they CHEWING it and SWALLOWING it?

This might be a spoiler, but I think that tobacco and cigarettes are tossed at the bride and groom as they leave the church. You know, because it's not environmentally PC to throw rice anymore, since the poor little birdies can't digest rice properly.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 2 years later...

Study: Smoking scenes on the decline in top movies

NEW YORK — There's a lot less smoking in the movies these days, a new report shows.

Tobacco use on the silver screen peaked in 2005 and has been on the decline since, according to research that looked at the most popular films from 1991 to 2009.

Last year more than half of the 145 top movies released didn't show any smoking at all. That's a record for the past two decades. For films aimed at children or teens, the percentage was even higher — 61 percent. However, 54 percent of the movies rated PG-13 did show tobacco use.

The report "shows that Hollywood is perfectly capable of making movies without as much smoking and people still come see them," said the study's lead author, Stan Glantz, director of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education at the University of California, San Francisco. . . .

Associated Press, August 19

• 5 months later...

China restricts smoking in films, TV

The State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (SARFT), China's media watchdog, called for "strict control" of smoking scenes and banned minors from being present in shots involving anyone lighting up.

Cigarette brands are banned from appearing in films and television series, and smoking scenes must be kept as short as possible, a circular posted on SARFT's website said Saturday.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude