Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Story of a Girl

Link to the thread on the book.

- - -

Sedgewick nabs Zarr novel 'Story of a Girl'

The deal: Kyra Sedgwick and Emily Lansbury option Sara Zarr's "Story of a Girl," a National Book Award finalist about a 13-year-old girl whose father catches her having sex in a car with a boy, and whose life is dramatically altered by the experience.

The players: Sedgwick and Lansbury producing; Laurie Collyer ("Sherrybaby") attached as writer and director. Zarr is represented by Michael Bourret with Dystel & Goderich Literary Management. The book is published by Little, Brown.

The back story: The next time your teenager raves about a novel, pay attention: It could become your next movie. . . .

Los Angeles Times, January 31

It was inevitable.

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pleased. Sara deserves this.

Well done, Sara!

How are you going to top this?

When is your head going to stop spinning?

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

Great news, Sara! I've admired Sedgwick as an actress, especially in her current series The Closer, some recent episodes of which she's also credited as producer--which can mean a lot of things, of course. Anyway, this is great, and I'm happy for you! :D

Congratulations, Sara!! What a great event, moment, experience, feeling, happening, accomplishment, emotional ride...

Wow, Sara. We can say "We knew you when you were only an A&F newbie..."

Congrats!

Congratulations! And that's so great about Kyra Sedgwick's involvement with the project: she's the real deal. I bet you'll end up with a fine movie.

Wow.

I still have a kind note you wrote about one of my posts, a long while back, taped up on my wall for encouragement. First it was just a note from a nice person. Then it was a note from a published novelist. Then an acclaimed novelist. But now, a movie person! Maybe I'll have to get a little spotlight put in, really make those couple sentences stand out...

Ron

Lights, camera...

While Ashley Olsen doesn't appear to have any upcoming acting projects on the horizon, Mary-Kate is set to star in Daniel Barnz's "Beastly" as well as Laurie Collyer's "Story of a Girl" alongside Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick.

Lights, camera...

While Ashley Olsen doesn't appear to have any upcoming acting projects on the horizon, Mary-Kate is set to star in Daniel Barnz's "Beastly" as well as Laurie Collyer's "Story of a Girl" alongside Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick.

Is she going to play Deanna? She's 15 in the book, and Mary-Kate is 24. I can't see the story working with an actress that old playing Deanna.

[edit] According to IMDB, she's playing Stacey (18 in the book), which is still a bit of a stretch, but wouldn't be so distracting.

Edited by Tyler

Very cool update. I keep meaning to read the book, but now I can wait for the movie! :P

Lights, camera...

Is she going to play Deanna? She's 15 in the book, and Mary-Kate is 24. I can't see the story working with an actress that old playing Deanna.

[edit] According to IMDB, she's playing Stacey (18 in the book), which is still a bit of a stretch, but wouldn't be so distracting.

Yes - I think that could totally work. Stacy (how I always spelled it, though it says Stacey on imdb) is a bit of an old/weary soul anyway, and is actually 19 (I think, that's how I remember it).

I'm so curious to see the rest of the casting. (Lesson to everyone: most of the time, authors in book-to-movie scenarios usually KNOW NOTHING.)

The actress who played Lane on Gilmore Girls, Keiko Agena, was in her 30s when the show started, so there is definitely precedent for older actors playing younger characters convincingly.

[edit] I just double-checked, and it looks like she was 27 when the show started. She was born in 1973, and Gilmore Girls premiered in 2000.

Edited by Tyler

The actress who played Lane on Gilmore Girls, Keiko Agena, was in her 30s when the show started, so there is definitely precedent for older actors playing younger characters convincingly.

Agena was in her THIRTIES??!! Whoah. She was very convincing indeed.

And Kristen Bell was around 30 for Veronica Mars. Though the two previous examples pulled it off better than she did.

Sara just linked to this article from a couple weeks ago:

- - -

Kyra Sedgwick closes a chapter

Sedgwick is itching to get back into theater. She has two films in the can: the horror flick Dibbuk Box and the thriller Man on a Ledge, out next year. And she's developing a movie based on the National Book Award-winning Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr, with AnnaSophia Robb attached to star. . . .

USA Today, July 11