Darrel Manson

Breaking Bad

201 posts in this topic

So, we're heading into the finale next Sunday. What's gonna happen? Who's gonna live? Who's gonna die? I have a feeling that Gus isn't gonna make it, but if that is the case, I'm not sure what in the world the plot of season 5 would be. And this season Gus has become one of the all-time great bad guys, so I'd hate to see him disposed of. On the other hand, we've seen the Walt/Jesse vs Gus plot going for about two seasons now, so would another season to justice to that story or just drag it out unnecessarily? I don't know. But I trust Gilligan more than almost any other show runner, so I'm not worried. And I'm more excited about this season finale than I've been for one in a long time. (Probably since Breaking Bad season 3!)

My finale guess: Walt is finally going to confess everything to Hank, and then the final season is going to be Gus's takedown. Maybe Jesse's too. Even as I'm typing that, I hope that's not where it goes, but I have a feeling it will.

Also:

Gus Fring : Breaking Bad

Ben Linus : Lost

So, we're heading into the finale next Sunday. What's gonna happen? Who's gonna live? Who's gonna die? I have a feeling that Gus isn't gonna make it, but if that is the case, I'm not sure what in the world the plot of season 5 would be. And this season Gus has become one of the all-time great bad guys, so I'd hate to see him disposed of. On the other hand, we've seen the Walt/Jesse vs Gus plot going for about two seasons now, so would another season to justice to that story or just drag it out unnecessarily? I don't know. But I trust Gilligan more than almost any other show runner, so I'm not worried. And I'm more excited about this season finale than I've been for one in a long time. (Probably since Breaking Bad season 3!)

My finale guess: Walt is finally going to confess everything to Hank, and then the final season is going to be Gus's takedown. Maybe Jesse's too. Even as I'm typing that, I hope that's not where it goes, but I have a feeling it will.

Also:

Yeah, I told my wife after the crawl space scene that Walt has exactly one move left and that is to go to Hank. However, this week's episode renewed an alliance that I assumed to be all but dead.

Edited by Gavin Breeden

Also:

I never thought of that before. But it's so true! Great point!

I wonder if Mike will be in the finale?

For me, the whole thing reached a fever pitch with Walt's maniacal laughter in the crawl space. Man, that was chilling/amazing.

One of the great images of the show. As much as I felt the tax evasion plotline was a rare stumble for the writers, that concluding image will always remain an icon of the entire series. The crumbling of Walt. (The crawlspace played an important role in the first season, IIRC. I thought this is where Walt had originally stored all of his cash before hooking up with Saul. I thought that there was a nice circularity there.) But man, the terse way he gave directions to his wife to go to Hank was similarly stunning. If it weren't for the quality of Bryan Cranston's acting, this show would come across as sheer melodrama.

I wonder if Mike will be in the finale?

Mike is the missing piece at this point, right? Where is his real allegiance? If he had to choose Gus over Jesse, I think he would go with Jesse.

As far as the Hank thing is concerned, I

would write the finale as Walt anonymously giving Hank just the right info to break open the Gus case and vindicate his obsession with the laundry facility. This would preserve the Walt/Hank dyad for the next season and bring the Gus storyline to some sort of conclusion. But I guess the interesting wrinkle is that since Jesse let the latest batch spoil, there really isn't anything in the lab to pin on Gus. Right?

Edited by M. Leary

Re: the finale:

Wow.

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Didn't suspect the twist until RIGHT before the reveal.

Now the spoiler-y stuff:

I was sad to see Gus go, but he had a pretty worthy exit, I thought. There seem like a lot of loose ends though. Ted Beneke and the tax thing. Matt Zoller Seitz over at Salon pointed out all kinds of cameras at the hospital and nursing home that would've captured Walt, Jesse, and Gus throughout the day. As well as the laptop with video feeds sitting in Gus's office. And who knows how many other sensitive things there might be in Gus's home and office. Then there's the pesky issue of where the bomb came from. The DEA will likely uncover details about Gus's involvement in the drug trade, but then who killed him? Methinks Hank will be itching to follow this trail further.

I've seen lots of folks complaining about how Walt's plan was actually executed. How did he get the ricin cigarette (interviews reveal Saul's guy snagged it somehow when Jesse came to the office) and how did Walt poison Brock? I'm not too concerned with those details. But, it does seem like a big series of events to skip over. I enjoyed the twist so much, that I can overlook that hole.

I went back and watched the beginning of "End Times." It became clear that Walt got the idea from spinning the gun on the table by the pool and it pointed to the Lily of the Valley. I remember the camera panned around Walt and my wife and I wondered what it was pointing to, the plant? Something else? Anyway, then we don't see Walt again in that episode till over the halfway mark when Jesse comes to his house to accuse him of poisoning Brock. Well played, Breaking Bad, well played.

This certainly follows with Walt's moral descent throughout the show. (Remember Vince Gilligan has said he wanted to see what it would be like to turn Mr. Chips into Scarface, and we're getting close, I think.)

season 1-- Walt kills in self-defense

season 2-- Walt allows Jane to die and inadvertently causes the plane crash

season 3-- Walt murders the two drug dealers to protect Jesse, orders Jesse to kill the pathetic Gale

season 4-- Walt arranges the death of Gus and Tyrus, shoots two of Gus's henchmen, and poisons a child to manipulate Jesse back to his side, AND sends an old lady with a cane into his house to flush out the bad guys

Yikes. What will he do in season 5? What's left? Genocide?

As for season 5, I'm guessing Walt and Jesse try to take over the ABQ in Gus's absence and eventually Walt's actions with Jane and Brock will come to light turning Jesse against Walt for good. Meanwhile, Hank will be hot on the trail. Jesse + Hank vs. Walt. Walt loses. That's what I'm expecting, anyway. But if this season of Breaking Bad taught me anything, it's that, like Gus, Vince Gilligan and company are often ten steps ahead of me.

And wonder what Mike's reaction will be when he returns in season 5? I may be more excited about seeing that then anything else in season 5.

Anything could happen.

Edited by Gavin Breeden

Now the spoiler-y stuff:

Then there's the pesky issue of where the bomb came from.

The bomb that Hector detonated, killing Gus and Tyrone, was the same one that Walt had attached to Gus's car. Early in the episode, he retrieves the bomb from the car, and then we don't see it again until it's on Hector's chair.

Now the spoiler-y stuff:

Then there's the pesky issue of where the bomb came from.

The bomb that Hector detonated, killing Gus and Tyrone, was the same one that Walt had attached to Gus's car. Early in the episode, he retrieves the bomb from the car, and then we don't see it again until it's on Hector's chair.

Sorry for my lack of clarity:

WE certainly know where it came from, but won't the DEA and local law enforcement want to know how a pipe bomb ended up in a nursing home? Especially once Gus's connections to the drug trade come to light (assuming they do now that he was killed with a former Cartel member and Hank has already been arguing this case for most of this season), they'll want to know who killed Gus, who planted that bomb. It's not a pesky issue for us, but it is for the DEA. That's what I meant.

Edited by Gavin Breeden

One thing I'm not sure about is what's up with the cartel in Mexico. Gus killing everyone would have to create a power vacuum, and presumably the leaders who are left (weren't at the meeting) are going to want some revenge. That whole storyline wasn't mentioned for the rest of the season, though. It seems like something that would come up at a DEA meeting.

The one thing that disappointed about the finale, is that there really isn't much of a cliffhanger. Last season's finale was great because of the tension - did Jesse pull the trigger? did he kill Gale? In this finale, because they've settled the conflict with Gus, the only hint of danger is perhaps Mike's desire to get revenge on Walt and Jesse (which I think Gilligan mentions in the interview).

The one thing that disappointed about the finale, is that there really isn't much of a cliffhanger. Last season's finale was great because of the tension - did Jesse pull the trigger? did he kill Gale? In this finale, because they've settled the conflict with Gus, the only hint of danger is perhaps Mike's desire to get revenge on Walt and Jesse (which I think Gilligan mentions in the interview).

In the few interviews I've read with Vince Gilliam, I think he's mentioned that they made this season wrap up somewhat nicely because they weren't sure if AMC would renew them for season 5.

In the few interviews I've read with Vince Gilliam, I think he's mentioned that they made this season wrap up somewhat nicely because they weren't sure if AMC would renew them for season 5.

Yeah, he talks about that in the interview I posted last night.

I kind of liked that actually. True it isn't as typical cliffhanger like the end of season 3, but there is still a lot on the line. Last season ended with "oh no, what is Gus the big bad guy gonna do to Walt?" This season ends with "oh no, Walt is such an evil guy, what's gonna happen when Hank finds out who he is, when Mike comes back, and when Jesse learns the truth about Jane and Brock?" Perhaps not the same type of tension, but tension nonetheless. There's also the further development of Walt's moral decay, look what he was willing to do to "win."

"I won."

Great line.

I'm waiting for the Walter White/Charlie Sheen mashup video.

Just started watching this from the beginning! On episode 2 or something, and my mind is blown already.

The last image of Gus quite startlingly confirmed my suspicion that there is a lot of Grand Guignol on the table during BB episode drafting sessions. Other than periods of contemplative pacing, the interior focus, almost entire episodes lacking dialogue, etc... the naturalistic horror that has always been part of BB may be one of its most innovative features.

And to think, all this horror really got its start in the beginning, when we shared the looming terror of Walt's certain death to cancer.

Edited by M. Leary

The last image of Gus quite startlingly confirmed my suspicion that there is a lot of Grand Guignol on the table during BB episode drafting sessions. Other than periods of contemplative pacing, the interior focus, almost entire episodes lacking dialogue, etc... the naturalistic horror that has always been part of BB may be one of its most innovative features.

BTW, the effects team from The Walking Dead created that shot, so there's an even more direct horror connection. From Gilligan's NY Times interview:

Did the effects crew from “The Walking Dead” help out with the scene where Gus meets his demise?

A.

Indeed we did have great help from the prosthetic effects folks at “The Walking Dead,” and I want to give a shout-out to Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger, and KNB EFX, those two gentlemen and their company, because their shop did that effect. And then that was augmented by the visual effects work of a guy named Bill Pulaski and his crew, who digitally married a three-dimensional sculpture that KNB EFX created with the reality of the film scene. So you can actually see into and through Gus’s head in that final reveal. It’s a combination of great makeup and great visual effects. And it took months to do.

Q.

Months?

A.

Really, months. That one shot where the explosion happens, and then you dolly in on Gus, is actually two shots: the explosion happened in one take, and then the shot revealing Gus – it took me 19 takes to get it right. But we did use Take 19. That was no fault of the actors. That was me being a little persnickety as a director. The big, bravura part of the effect is obviously Gus’s face, what’s left of it, but to me it’s just as amazing how the visual effects guys married the two shots together so that there’s literally no seam between. There’s smoke, but you don’t see the cut in between. It’s just amazing what they’re capable of doing these days.

Edited by Tyler

I haven't watched this show at all, but caught David Bianculli's comments on the finale on the radio last night. Thought some of you might appreciate them as well.

(off topic) Bianculli also reviews the premiere of American Horror Story, which I also won't be watching, because (1) horror (I can't even watch Supernatural), and (2) Ryan Murphy, master of excess.

Thanks to Netflix streaming I am finally catching up with this gem of a show. I watched the pilot live in 2008 and have always known this was an interesting show I'd probably like, but never dove in until this month. I've enjoyed the comments here and tracking each episode from old write-ups at the AV Club's TV Club.

Breaking Bad didn't get nominated for best drama series on the Golden Globes, but American Horror Story did.

Breaking Bad didn't get nominated for best drama series on the Golden Globes, but American Horror Story did.

Wow - that's pitiful.

No "Parks and Rec" either?! Fail.

I can't contribute a ton here, as I'm just now finishing Season 3 via Netflix Streaming, but I definitely share the love for this show. Season 2 dragged for me a bit, as I felt the teddy bear/swimming pool teasers

ultimately were something of a shell game

, but so far, Season 3 has felt consistently superb.

Talk about the wages of sin: this show just fascinates me as we see Walter's rationalizations, self-deception, and ugly behavior build and build, such that he progressively and believably moves away from the highly sympathetic character we saw at the beginning of Season 1. It amazes me, too, how convincingly and insightfully we see the ripple effect of his choices on every major and minor relationship in his orbit.

Just wondering, too, did the show's creators have Walter Mitty in mind when they named the lead character?

Just finished season 1. Wow. Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston are one of the best onscreen duos I've ever seen.

It amazes me, too, how convincingly and insightfully we see the ripple effect of his choices on every major and minor relationship in his orbit.

One of the things that frustrated me about the show early on was how slow it seemed to move, but I eventually realized that the pacing of the show allows it to develop and show the consequences of seemingly small decisions in ways that most shows wouldn't have the patience to do.