2/25 Dogville (von Trier)*  

2/29 Nowhere in Africa  

3/1 A Decade Under the Influence  

3/3 Lola (Demy)*  

3/3 Bay of Angels (Demy)  

3/09 Leprechaun III (Smith)  

3/09 High Fidelity (Frears)  

3/11 Au Hasard Balthazar (Bresson)*  

3/12 The Color of Pomegranates (Parajanov)  

3/13 Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (Parajanov)  

3/14 Alexander Nevsky (Eisenstein)!  

3/15 Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein)*

See, a lesser man would have left out the Warwick Davis vehicle.

Nah, Nowhere in Africa wasn't that good. Otherwise I have been on a roll. Of all the Leprechaun films, this one probably espouses the best character development, we begin to lose track of the fact that Leprechaun's murderous angst really is the result of two things: His inability to act outside of his strict mythical tradition, and his inability to participate in the transference of "this world's" ironically mellower view of riches to his own. By the time we get to Leprechaun in the Hood and Leprechaun in Space the series had lost its vision.

As per your suggestion The Thing with Two Heads is now en route.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Michael, I suggest you propose an in-depth analysis of the Leprechaun films for Books and Culture as soon as possible. The lack of scholarly criticism on these films is an intellectual tragedy.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

2/25 Dogville (von Trier)*  

2/29 Nowhere in Africa  

3/1 A Decade Under the Influence  

3/3 Lola (Demy)*  

3/3 Bay of Angels (Demy)  

3/09 Leprechaun III (Smith)  

3/09 High Fidelity (Frears)  

3/11 Au Hasard Balthazar (Bresson)*  

3/12 The Color of Pomegranates (Parajanov)  

3/13 Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (Parajanov)  

3/14 Alexander Nevsky (Eisenstein)!  

3/15 Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein)*

Yeah, that is a pretty good list. But those coming to Flickerings this summer could see a pretty spectacular ten films in four days, and that's not even counting stef and leary's short movie, which is sure to be the event of the year. Dale, do you have another Flickerings short this summer?

Anyway, mike h, have you officially unveiled the Flickerings movie lineup? Some folk are going to want to reserve their airplane tickets shortly. smile.gif

J Robert

Of all the Leprechaun films, this one probably espouses the best character development, we begin to lose track of the fact that Leprechaun's murderous angst really is the result of two things: His inability to act outside of his strict mythical tradition, and his inability to participate in the transference of \"this world's\" ironically mellower view of riches to his own. By the time we get to Leprechaun in the Hood and Leprechaun in Space the series had lost its vision.

LOL. This has got to be the most hilarious two sentences i've seen on the boards in the last four years. smile.gif (Except for the dollie eye-stab of Pleasantville. I'm still reeling from the shards of glass from when Russell finally laid waste to his monitor.)

...those coming to Flickerings this summer could see a pretty spectacular ten films in four days, and that's not even counting stef and leary's short movie, which is sure to be the event of the year.

The problem is that we reached too high for our first film. The montage has been overwhelming. I think we are currently aiming for Flickerings 2005.

Anyway, mike h, have you officially unveiled the Flickerings movie lineup?

HAH! I'VE SEEN IT! (and if i have, i know you have too...) and it is going to be FREAKING AWESOME. i am going to do like i did last year and watch as many as i can before i get to Flickerings, so that i can keep up with ya'all in the discussions.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Anyway, mike h, have you officially unveiled the Flickerings movie lineup? Some folk are going to want to reserve their airplane tickets shortly.

Not to steal mike_h's thunder, but, for any of you with a web connection...

http://www.flickerings.com/2004/films/index.htm

And yes, that's some kinda line-up. Of the flicks chosen from 2002, I've seen three (in 2003): two made my Top Ten, and the third is a close runner up. The only other one I've seen is YI-YI, an all-time favourite. Perhaps my doppelganger sits on your selection committee?

What the heck, here's the list;

Great Awakenings

THE MAN WITHOUT A PAST

WHALE RIDER

YI-YI

THE WIND WILL CARRY US

The Gospel According to Tax Collectors & Sinners

JESUS OF MONTREAL

THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST

THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST MATTHEW

Lost Boys

THE SON

HARD GOODBYES: MY FATHER

BUS 174

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Guest Russell Lucas

ML, the Sci-Fi channel ran the first of the Leprechaun trilogy last night at 11:00 and I so, so wanted to see it so I could add it to my viewing journal. An early bedtime thwarted that, regrettably.

I saw The Thing With Two Heads when I was circa fifth or sixth grade. The NBC affiliate out of Johnstown, Pa. ran these four o'clock movies for years, and it was the best stuff, really. Cheesy films, but also themed weeks, like Universal monster week and the week where they showed different versions of Beau Geste. How can it be that television was so much more meaningful and worthwhile when I had five channels as opposed to now, when I have seventy?

Guest Russell Lucas

Oh, and that Flickerings lineup is fantastic. I'll be there. stef, fold out the couch!

ML, the Sci-Fi channel ran the first of the Leprechaun trilogy last night at 11:00 and I so, so wanted to see it so I could add it to my viewing journal.  An early bedtime thwarted that, regrettably.

I caught about 5 minutes of it. Jennifer Aniston's early days... ah.

Wow--is there room on the couch for me? That line-up is tops...

Guest Russell Lucas

Doug, can you start and/or reconstruct a movie journal entry? I'm always inspired by seeing what you're watching.

Doug C wrote:

: Wow--is there room on the couch for me? That line-up is tops...

Yep, of those ten films, one (Jesus of Montreal) is an all-time-top-ten pick of mine, and three (The Man without a Past, Yi Yi, The Son) have made my recent year-end top-ten lists, and one (Bus 174) would have been a strong contender last year list if it had been released beyond the festival circuit. That leaves five films -- and I haven't even SEEN two of them yet!

So, Doug, am I gonna meet you at last? smile.gif

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Wow--is there room on the couch for me?  That line-up is tops...

I have a futon, and I am much friendlier than Stef is.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

(Jeffrey is quietly weeping somewhere, while a little devil on his shoulder suggests he run his own rival film festival in Seattle that same week, just to cheer himself up.)

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

...so who all is planning to attend?

Everyone, including Mr. Overstreet. Jeffrey, you know it won't be the same without you. You and Ron need to get CT to fly you guys out here. That is a legitimate business expense. My hope is that Flickerings is quickly becoming the place for Christian film critics to come together.

J Robert

Unfortunately, it's not just an expenses issue. It's also that I probably will not be able to sacrifice a week of work at the office. But I haven't given up hope...

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Wow. Being out of circulation for a couple days, I had no idea we'd experienced thread-shift from Russell's excellent viewing list to consideration of the Flickerings program. I'm pleased to hear some positive reviews: it's tougher than ever to put together a program since I've been hanging out with you cineastes here! Knowing the Promontory Board will be looking over my shoulder is now one more awesome responsibility to have to factor into programming, along with budget, balance, etc -- and this year, sponsorship (three cheers for The Matthew's House Project!) I'm sure most of you have seen most of these films: but let me tell you, seeing a film together with some of you folks in that old barn of a theater and discussing for hours afterward makes for an electrifying experience, even if you have already seen the film. I'll never forget how much fun it was to try to unravvel Code Unknown last year with Jeffrey, Robert, Stef, Leary and everybody else. I'm greedy for more of that, so come one come all. (Doug, if you're serious about coming to Cornerstone, let me know: we'll put you to work!)

jrobert wrote:

: Jeffrey, you know it won't be the same without you. You and Ron need to

: get CT to fly you guys out here. That is a legitimate business expense.

Hey, what am I, chopped liver? smile.gif

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

jrobert wrote:

: Jeffrey, you know it won't be the same without you. You and Ron need to

: get CT to fly you guys out here. That is a legitimate business expense.

Hey, what am I, chopped liver?  :)

I knew you were already coming, with expenses paid for! Or is that a secret? smile.gif

J Robert

Doug, PLEASE COME!! We need to finally meet.

Russell -- are you serious?! It will be great to meet you!!

Chattaway. This is going to be the greatest year with you there.

AND DON'T FORGET THE MUD WRESTLING PILLOW FIGHT CAGE MATCH BETWEEN PETER AND DOUG!! smile.gif

JRobert -- too bad the Detholz aren't on the list this year!! Oh well i hear they play lots locally, still haven't made it to a show though (yet).

Asher ------- THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE!! Look at all these fine people (myself absolutely included) all in one place at one time!

Anders. I'm broke from going back to school so i can't offer to pay your way this year. But man it would be cool to see you!!

Nate Clarke... Madison ain't much further than Chicago, BABY!!!

Wow--is there room on the couch for me?  That line-up is tops...

I have a futon, and I am much friendlier than Stef is.

YOU, of all people! I know for a fact that in the original post to this thread there must've been ten films you saw but didn't list. SO THERE. List away. Amaze Russell and the rest of us.

Everyone else!! FLICKERINGS 2004!! COME ONE, COME ALL!!

(can you tell i am stoked?!??!??!??!?)

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

...You and Ron need to get CT to fly you guys out here.

How I wish! Alas, it is not my impression that the aforementioned periodical is rollin' in the dough - at least, not to a degree sufficient unto airfares for the likes of this humble correspondent.

I'm trying to scheme up some way to get there. The combination of that line-up of films, long conversations about same, and most of all, the chance to put faces to all these names that've become so familiar over the past year and more. Sheesh.

Seems unlikely. But I can scheme, can't I?

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Guest Russell Lucas

Ha, yeah, stef, I'm serious. I don't know whether I can make it out for the full length, or whether I'll combine it with a trip to see my sister in Indianapolis, but I'm going to make it happen.

Perhaps now we can add some late-night program that will play to Leary's and my trash genre film experience. "Family Adrift: Issues of Paternity and Paternalism in the Sleepaway Camp Trilogy." "Dualism and Racism Unbound: The Triumph of The Thing With Two Heads."

Russell. You are just flat out brilliant. That would be perfect, I have long toyed with a hypothetical syllabus that introduces college aged students to important contemporary culture and social theory by means of B-film.

I fully recommend Surf Nazis Must Die for such a late night screening.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Guest Russell Lucas

Clarify for me the whole relation between Flickerings and Cornerstone, if you please. I know the latter is one branch of the former. Are they held on the same campus? Is one largely a night affair while the other is a day affair? How does it work? In truth, I'm not a big music fan and I don't know any of the acts that are likely to be playing.

Leary: "Zombies As Agents of Grace: A Treatment of the Oevre of Romero" needs to be on that list.