Sign in to follow this  
anglicanbeachparty

1983 Super 8 film: I Was A Teenage Pietistic Dandy

This is the rendering into YouTube (via VHS and several other steps) of a film that my brother (the Rev. Charles Erlandson) and I made back in 1983, for a "Vorthos" class taught by our pastor at that time, George Grant. While it contains numerous "inside jokes" and George-isms, such as in the title itself, it may be of interest to some here for two primary reasons:

(1) As an artifact of "primitive" filmmaking. This was all done with a silent Super8 camera ... the sound was added later.

(2) As a theological commentary on retreat to a Christian "ghetto" versus a more world-embracing theology (Christ and his Church embracing and/or transforming the world).

Also of note to some will be the cameo appearance (in Part 2) of Kemper Crabb, an elder at the church we attended back then, and a noteable Christian musician.

Some of the early segments (which involved coming attractions such as The Day the Pope Stood Still and Doctrine X from Outer Space) had to be removed to avoid copyright infringement.

I will admit it, the title drew me in and being an Oscar Wilde admirer, any well structured title with "dandy" in it probably would. I am eager to view these. Thanks for posting.

Edited by Thom(asher)

That was strangely cool. Thanks for posting it!

Although what was really scary was the link on YouTube under "Related Videos": the clip of the guy imitating Larry the Cable Guy promoting a men's conference. 8O