Sign in to follow this  
Grow Up

Flock of Dodos

Flock of Dodos:The Evolution-Intelligent Design Circus (2006)

IMDb listing

A calm, objective exploration of the Creationism ("Intelligent Design") movement and its attacks on the theory of evolution by natural selection.

It exposes the somewhat uncomfortable facts that truth can wear an ugly face; that plausibility, likeability and authenticity do not always go hand-in-hand; and that people on both sides of the "circus" do not always conform to stereotypes.

An interesting comment on the IMDb entry:

What struck me about this movie was how unashamedly it looks at pretension and ego in the scientific community today. Though ostensibly about the Evolution vs. Intelligent Design debate, this movie delves quite deeply into the levels of effective communication between scientist and layman. Anyone out there who's ever studied under a particularly brilliant professor will know exactly what I mean- they usually have quite earth-shatteringly amazing ideas and thoughts that they are woefully unequipped to communicate to the rest of us mortals.

And one on the Amazon page:

I do not think that Mr. Olson comes down firmly on one side or the other in this film, even though he identifies himself as an Evolutionist. This is not the point of this film. He most definitely is not bashing anyone. Instead, it shows the difficulty that comes about when two sides have such a hard time even discussing such a topic. If anything, he takes the Pro-Evolutionists to task for not being able to clearly articulate their points of view to common folk.

This film makes compulsive viewing for anyone interested in the interface between science and faith. It may not change minds; after all, as Gerd L

I saw this film a few months ago, but I have to admit I don't remember very much of it beyond the fact that the DVD's bonus features got a little less-fair, a little nastier, than the movie itself.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.