Stacey Orrico

Quick question: I was browsing around a Christian bookstore today and I saw a poster for a singer named Stacey Orrico. Then, just a few minutes ago, I flipped on MTV and saw someone that looked very much like her. Being absolutely uninterested in the current popular music scene, I just wanna know, has an actual Christian singer made it big?

"D*** it sir, never say Commonwealth to me-

say EM-PAH!"

-An overenthusiastically Anglophilic Canadian general to an American

I'm not sure if she's quite "made it big" yet, but yeah, CCM star Stacie Orrico has a new album out on Virgin Records, an MTV video hit, and- gasp!- a somewhat positive review in Rolling Stone. The only thing she's missing is... you know... talent.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Without launching into a STEFatribe about how there should be no dividing lines between what we define as "Christian" and "secular" in music, i'd like to point out to Mara that quite a few Christian artists/musicians have "made it big" in the last couple of years. Should we start putting a list together?

For recent examples i'd probably start with Steve Taylor's Squint-couple:

Sixpence None the Richer and Chevelle.

and of course there's POD...

and if you really want to pee them off, tell Evanescence they're essentially a rebel from the alterna-ccm scene. It might hurt but it's still true.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.