Sign in to follow this  
brdwaybeauty

What is your favorite Soundtrack?

There is going to be a Mamma Mia movie this summer! I can tell you right now this is my favorite soundtrack! My friend that works at UMGD told me the soundtrack comes out July 8th, so I pre-ordered my CD on Amazon.com, for now I am just playing Abba's "Dancing Queen." Here is a link to the trailer if you want to check it out. http://uclassics.edgeboss.net/wmedia/uclas...railer2_800.wvx

Amber

Favorite soundtrack?

I think we have a thread on this already somewhere. I'd "ahem" but I don't have time to find it.

Me...my favorite is Passion, by Peter Gabriel. Then, Raiders of the Lost Ark, by John Williams. Then, Blue, by Zbigner Priesner. Then, Blade Runner by Vangelis. Others: The Dark Crystal, by Trevor Jones. Watership Down by Angela Morley.

I have a favorite that I rarely admit, but I'll wait to see if others are feeling boldly confessional...

I have a favorite that I rarely admit, but I'll wait to see if others are feeing boldly confessional...

My favorite soundtrack, and the only one I have on my iPod, is The Last Tango in Paris. I don't really think of the movie when I listen to it. I find it amazing how so many moods and textures are derived out of the one simple theme.

All time: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly- Ennio Morricone.

The Fountain- Clint Mansell

Any Wes Anderson score- Mark Mothersbaugh

Purple Rain- Prince (does this count?)

Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark- John Williams

Recent Favorites: Speed Racer- Michael Giacchino

There Will Be Blood- Johnny Greenwood

Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford- Nick Cave and Warren Ellis(close to being an all-time favorite)

The Thin Red Line-- this is one of those classic albums that i try hard not to overplay. I keep it stored away like fine wine for special occasions. Zimmer's masterpiece IMO

Lust, Caution- gorgeous stuff

Road to Perdition

Phillip Glass' The Illusionist is also quite good. So is Thomas Newman's Little Children

I dont own it yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack to Babel

Oh, yeah... some might be tempted to diss this, but John William's Memoirs of a Geisha may actually be close to the the top of my list. Sayuris Theme is possibly one of my favorite movements in any modern film. Very transporting stuff.

Edited by coltrane

I have a favorite that I rarely admit, but I'll wait to see if others are feeling boldly confessional...

Come to think of it, I do remember you being an apologist of the Ladyhawke soundtrack...

Well... coltrane already admitted to liking Geisha, so I guess I can fess up...

The one that I listen to most often is Vangelis' soundtrack for Blade Runner. It's an amazing amalgamation of different styles that evokes different eras, and yet maintains an incredibly consistent and haunting mood throughout -- a mood that I find very amenable to computer work (blogging, programming, designing, etc.).

Peter Gabriel's Passion

The Assassination Of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Natural Born Killers

Moulin Rouge

Pump Up the Volume

The Lost Boys

In no particular order...

Good, Bad, Ugly

Once Upon A Time in the West

Silverado

Dolores Claiborne

Commandments (Vitarelli... even though it's never been commercially available)

Pirates of the Caribbean

The Red Tent (Morricone)

Two Mules for Sister Sara

The Untouchables

Star Wars

Dr. Zhivago

Days of Heaven

For musicals (film versions for both):

Fiddler on the Roof

West Side Story

I could list a few more Morricones, but only because I used to be a collector...

I am a fan of Morricone as well. I could go a long time with just Morricone and Nina Rota, throw in some Howard Shore for good measure( Naked Lunch especially ). However, iTunes tells me the recently listened to(current heavy rotation list) are:

Anatomy of a Murder

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Motorcycle Diaries

Zidane

Grizzly Man

Amores Perros

A Mighty Wind

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Oh, Howard Shore. Duh! I listen to the LOTR soundtracks so constantly, I don't even think of them as soundtracks any more.

Anatomy of a Murder is a great one, no doubt. I've never owned it, though.

Edited by Greg Wright

I love Rachel Portman's soundtracks for the movies Chocolat, and Nicholas Nickelby.

It's really a quasi-soundtrack, but I'm in love with the music from Good Night, and Good Luck.

The soundtrack from Everything Is Illuminated is sprinkled with some great folk music, especially the Gogol Bordello stuff.

James Newton Howard's music for The Village is very intriguing.

The name following the movie title may not be the only artist responsible for the soundtrack. In that case, that person is the reason I love the soundtrack. (ie. there's a Supertramp song on the Magnolia soundtrack but I only listed Aimee Mann)

Amelie - Yann Tiersen

Magnolia - Aimee Mann

Trainspotting - various

Last Temptation of Christ - Peter Gabriel (Passion)

Life Aquatic - mostlly for Seu Jorge's acoustic covers of David Bowie

Into the Wild - Eddie Vedder

The Mission (there are lots of other epic sounding soundtracks that I love but I don't own them)

Rushmore - Mark Mothersbaugh

Honorable Mentions: Juno (Kimya Dawson), Everything by Jon Brion: I Heart Huckabees, Eternal Sunshine..., Punch-Drunk Love etc.

Blade Runner (Vangelis)

1492 (Vangelis)

Chariots of Fire (Vangelis)

Star Wars (original trilogy) (John Williams)

Superman: The Movie [this well may be John Williams at his peak in 1978...it's brilliant!) (John Williams)

Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark and especially the long out-of-print Temple of Doom) (John Williams)

Lord of the Rings (especially Return of the King) (Howard Shore)

Emma (Rachel Portman)

Nicholas Nickleby (Rachel Portman)

Shawshank Redemption (Thomas Newman)

Forrest Gump (Alan Silvestri)

Last Temptation of Christ (Peter Gabriel)

Rabbit Proof Fence (Peter Gabriel)

Black Hawk Down (Hans Zimmer)

Battleship Potemkin (Pet Shop Boys... yes, the Pet Shop Boys did an electronic soundtrack to this silent film, but the music is actually quite interesting. I've never listened to it married to the visuals though).

Some great soundtracks I had purchased:

Scores:

Six Degrees of Separation (which includes snippets of dialogue from the film, including a rare bringing-down-the-house tidbit from then-actor J.J. Abrams!!!!)

The Firm

The Mighty

Il Postino

Schindler's List

Get Shorty

The Spitfire Grill

Ed Wood (Great Halloween Party Music)

Compilations:

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion (1 & 2)

Grosse Point Blank

Rocky IV (used)

Dick (includes Sixpence None The Richer's _Dancing Queen_)

Pulp Fiction / Kill Bill vol 1

Quality Artist Contributions:

Purple Rain / Sign O the Times

O Brother Where Art Thou

Saturday Night Fever

Inside the Mind's Eye (Georgio Moroder) (direct to video)

Dead Man Walking.

Before I bought it, I owned nothing by Johnny Cash, Tom Waits, or Steve Earl. After listening to it, I knew I had to change that.

It's not my favorite soundtrack, but I didn't know quite where else to put this. Andrew Hale's score for the video game, L.A. NOIRE, is pretty rockin' awesome. A great throwback to Goldsmith's score for CHINATOWN, with a little bit of Herrmann's TAXI DRIVER and John Williams' CATCH ME IF YOU CAN thrown in.

Edited by Ryan H.

My all time favorite has to go to John Williams' score for The Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars is still terrific, but Williams really built from that film in a way that no other sequel's soundtrack manages to do (I don't include Howard Shore's great LOTR soundtracks, as that could be seen as one gigantic score). William's built on themes started in the original, and expanded them for TESB. The new material is incredibly amazing, from the two new character themes (Yoda's Theme, The Imperial March), to the exquisitely complicated The Asteroid Field, in which he manages enough "confusion" in the music to mirror the "confusion" onscreen. But where Williams really shines IMHO is with The City in the Clouds, an extremely dreamlike piece, that contains just enough dark undertones to suggest that this place may not be the safe haven that our heroes believe it to be.

Blade Runner - Vangelis

Dances With Wolves - John Barry

Chinatown - Jerry Goldsmith

Until the End of the World - Various Artists (My favorite compilation soundtrack)

The Thing - Ennio Morricone (simplicity at its most effective)

The Untouchables - Morricone

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - Maurice Jarre (yes, this might contradict what I said about sequel soundtracks, but this was Jarre's only work for this series, the other two films having scores by the late Brian May. Jarre's work here stands alone, he doesn't draw from the previous Mad Max films)

And for your amusement, I give you another YouTube piece from someone with too much time on their hands...

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Let's see someone do that with digital music! :P

I'm not a big soundtrack buff, but I'll listen to pretty much anything by Angelo Badalamenti. Particularly the Mullholland Drive soundtrack. And Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

I've also been known to listen to the Red Riding 1974 and 1983 albums, and there was a time when I could hum the entirety of the score for The Wrath of Khan.

On a slightly-related note, "Across the Stars" from Star Wars: Episode II deserved a better movie.

I love My Blueberry Nights and In the Mood for Love.

NBooth wrote:

: . . . there was a time when I could hum the entirety of the score for The Wrath of Khan.

Have you ever checked out the "expanded" version that was released a few years back? I've been enjoying that one quite a bit lately. Man, that music brings back memories, and hearing tracks that I had never heard apart from the film before has made the memories fresh again...

NBooth wrote:

: . . . there was a time when I could hum the entirety of the score for The Wrath of Khan.

Have you ever checked out the "expanded" version that was released a few years back? I've been enjoying that one quite a bit lately. Man, that music brings back memories, and hearing tracks that I had never heard apart from the film before has made the memories fresh again...

I haven't checked it out, but it looks like I need to.

My top ten:

1. VERTIGO by Bernard Herrmann. (The best film score ever composed, bar none.)
  2. CHINATOWN by Jerry Goldsmith.
  3. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST by Ennio Morricone.
  4. A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE by Alex North.
  5. HANGOVER SQUARE by Bernard Herrmann.
  6. MOONRAKER by John Barry.
  7. THE FURY by John Williams.
  8. 2046 by Various Artists.
  9. I AM LOVE by John Adams.
  10. DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN! by John Gale.

Edited by Ryan H.