Monsieur Vincent

At last! Maurice Cloche's beautiful award-winning 1947 film Monsieur Vincent, starring Pierre Fresnay as St. Vincent de Paul, is coming to DVD on 7/15 from Lionsgate/StudioCanal.

Monsieur Vincent won an honorary foreign-film Oscar in 1948 (it was a 1947 film but came to the US in 1948). Fresnay won best actor in Venice in 1947. The film was also nominated in the 1949 BAFTAs (best film from any source) and the 1950 Golden Globes ("best film promoting international understanding").

It's also one of the 1995 Vatican film list's 15 films in the Religion category -- and one of the last Vatican list films to become available on DVD. (Ichikawa's The Burmese Harp came to DVD in 2007, and Mallet's Au Revoir Les Enfants in 2006. With Monsieur Vincent now on DVD, I think the only remaining unavailable titles may be Bu

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I agree it's worthy of being right there with the top mercy films.  But there is little discussion around here as to why.

Please share!

I would love to see a "group appreciation" sort of discussion here....why did we as a group think so highly of this?

For starters : Similar to what SDG outlines in the blurb, this film is a tremendous map of the challenges and weight of mercy.  Monsieur Vincent himself was surely a great man, and the film paints him as such.  Yet we are allowed to feel the weight of the mercy he extends.  This mercy is a hard road, and it is not for the faint of heart and mind.  We are left to reflect on the necessity of God's hand of strength and sustenance lifting the human hand of the mercy-giver. 

Deep waters for a film, indeed.  Yet some of the film’s glory is that it is also a sweeping entertainment, complete with generous humor and vast scopes of time and adventure.

Glad to be here in 2016, reflecting on this film from the year my mother was born.

Edited by Brian D
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread again because it's hard to believe SDG is the only one here who voted this film to #1 on our mercy list. For those of you who ranked this highly, please share your praise for it with us. 

If it truly is our A and F top film on mercy, it deserves some talk. I sense we will love this more as a group if we turn our sights to it here.

Edited by Brian D
  • 3 years later...

Monsieur Vincent didn't seem to have any discussion on these boards before the mercy list. Based on Brian's attempts, it looks like no discussion ever caught on even after it was voted #1 for the mercy list. I nominated Monsieur Vincent for our top 100. Mercy is an important concept in all spiritual worldviews, though it might be understood in different ways. Vincent de Paul certainly embodies the Christian view of mercy. So, I hope to both start the conversation on this film that's been worth having for a long time and to advocate for including the film that was voted the best about mercy for our top 100 Spiritually Significant films.

1 hour ago, Ed Bertram said:

Monsieur Vincent didn't seem to have any discussion on these boards before the mercy list. Based on Brian's attempts, it looks like no discussion ever caught on even after it was voted #1 for the mercy list. I nominated Monsieur Vincent for our top 100. Mercy is an important concept in all spiritual worldviews, though it might be understood in different ways. Vincent de Paul certainly embodies the Christian view of mercy. So, I hope to both start the conversation on this film that's been worth having for a long time and to advocate for including the film that was voted the best about mercy for our top 100 Spiritually Significant films.

There was a Film Club discussion. Here's the link to that thread. 

That thread links to this thread as well, but might it make sense at this point to merge the threads? 

The last line of the film--It is only because of our love that the poor forgive us of the bread we give to them--really moves me and drives home the importance of this film.

1 hour ago, Rob Z said:

There was a Film Club discussion. Here's the link to that thread. 

That thread links to this thread as well, but might it make sense at this point to merge the threads?

Thank you Rob. I didn't see the Film Club discussion when I searched for a thread. So thank you for bringing that into this thread.

1 hour ago, Rob Z said:

The last line of the film--It is only because of our love that the poor forgive us of the bread we give to them--really moves me and drives home the importance of this film.

It is a beautiful line, though it's almost unnecessary, but I mean that in a very positive way. The whole movie communicates the  message of the line so powerfully that we don't necessarily need it in words. But then, the perfect words are chosen to succinctly summarize St. Vincent's life, work and philosophy, making a great way to end the film.

1 hour ago, Joel Mayward said:

I'm really glad this was nominated—it was on an early version of my list but I ended up removing it. It's definitely worth seeking out and viewing.

I started coming to A&F shortly after the Mercy list. All I knew about the movie before coming here is that it was the first Oscar winner in the Best Foreign Language Film category. I didn't even know it was about Vincent de Paul. So, Monsieur Vincent was the first movie that A&F introduced me to, and I'm very thankful for the introduction.