Sign in to follow this  
SDG

Monsieur Vincent

SDG   

At last! Maurice Cloche's beautiful award-winning 1947 film Monsieur Vincent, starring Pierre Fresnay as St. Vincent de Paul, is coming to DVD on 7/15 from Lionsgate/StudioCanal.

Monsieur Vincent won an honorary foreign-film Oscar in 1948 (it was a 1947 film but came to the US in 1948). Fresnay won best actor in Venice in 1947. The film was also nominated in the 1949 BAFTAs (best film from any source) and the 1950 Golden Globes ("best film promoting international understanding").

It's also one of the 1995 Vatican film list's 15 films in the Religion category -- and one of the last Vatican list films to become available on DVD. (Ichikawa's The Burmese Harp came to DVD in 2007, and Mallet's Au Revoir Les Enfants in 2006. With Monsieur Vincent now on DVD, I think the only remaining unavailable titles may be Bu

SDG   

P.S. The Decent Films review was written many years ago. It's very far from what I would write today, although I haven't yet decided whether to write a revised version.

SDG   

Just a quick reminder that the DVD hit shelves yesterday.

FWIW, I did somewhat revise my review.

Brian D   

I agree it's worthy of being right there with the top mercy films.  But there is little discussion around here as to why.

Please share!

I would love to see a "group appreciation" sort of discussion here....why did we as a group think so highly of this?

For starters : Similar to what SDG outlines in the blurb, this film is a tremendous map of the challenges and weight of mercy.  Monsieur Vincent himself was surely a great man, and the film paints him as such.  Yet we are allowed to feel the weight of the mercy he extends.  This mercy is a hard road, and it is not for the faint of heart and mind.  We are left to reflect on the necessity of God's hand of strength and sustenance lifting the human hand of the mercy-giver. 

Deep waters for a film, indeed.  Yet some of the film’s glory is that it is also a sweeping entertainment, complete with generous humor and vast scopes of time and adventure.

Glad to be here in 2016, reflecting on this film from the year my mother was born.

Edited by Brian D

Brian D   

Bumping this thread again because it's hard to believe SDG is the only one here who voted this film to #1 on our mercy list. For those of you who ranked this highly, please share your praise for it with us. 

If it truly is our A and F top film on mercy, it deserves some talk. I sense we will love this more as a group if we turn our sights to it here.

Edited by Brian D