Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Iron Man 2

117 posts in this topic

Links to our threads on Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Thor (2010), The First Avenger: Captain America (2011) and The Avengers (2011).

- - -

Theroux to write 'Iron Man' sequel

Marvel has handed the armor over to Justin Theroux, who will pen the sequel to "Iron Man."

The comicbook giant's film division is close to a deal to bring back helmer Jon Favreau and star Robert Downey Jr. for the pic it hopes to release in April 2010.

Theroux, a thesp-scribe best known for roles in "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and HBO's "Six Feet Under" and miniseries "John Adams," most recently wrote the DreamWorks comedy "Tropic Thunder," which Paramount will unspool next month.

In addition to writing and appearing in "Tropic Thunder," Theroux also exec produced the laffer, which stars Ben Stiller, Downey and Jack Black. He recently made his directing debut on "Dedication," which the Weinstein Co. distribbed. . . .

Variety, July 15

Don Cheadle joins 'Iron Man 2'

Don Cheadle is stepping in to replace Terrence Howard in "Iron Man 2," Marvel Studios' sequel to its summer blockbuster.

In the movie, Howard played Jim Rhodes, Tony Stark/Iron Man's best friend and future armor-clad hero War Machine. One scene featured Howard looking at a silver suit of armor and saying "Next time," a line that caused great delight for fans.

But there will be no next time for Howard. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, October 14

In what conceivable universe is Don Cheadle cheaper to hire than Terrence Howard? I sort of liked Howard in the first film, but didn't think he was all that amazing. Cheadle will certainly bring a different sensibility to the part.

Cheadle = better. (Sorry Howard.)

Cheadle = better. (Sorry Howard.)

As much as I like keeping a flow of the same actor playing the same character in a franchise, I cannot argue against this. Cheadle tends to make things better.

I got a fevah! And there's only one cure... MORE. CHEADLE!

I'm gonna disagree on the Cheadle/Howard situation. I find Howard more interesting. And Cheadle's so very, very different that it'll be like reinventing the character mid-franchise.

Yeah, I think Cheadle's the better actor in general, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the better one to cast in This Role. Howard's rapport with Downey worked very well, and Cheadle will change the dynamic entirely. (Shades of the Holmes/Gyllenhaal switcheroo in the Batman movies, sigh.)

I think Cheadle is a better match for the character of Rhodey established in the comic books. I found Howard's interpretation too, I dunno, soft-spoken, lacking in... something.

'Iron Man 2': How Terrence Howard Lost His Metal

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. . . .

As such, when Favreau and screenwriter Justin Theroux went to map out the sequel they found themselves minimizing Howard's story line. Once Marvel learned that Favreau was thinking of curtailing the role, the studio went to the actor's agents with a new and drastically reduced offer

Robert Downey Jr. comments diplomatically on the Howard-Cheadle switcheroo. He doesn't really say much, but apparently it's the first time he's said ANYTHING about this subject.

Yes, every movie in this franchise must feature at least one washed-up '80s star who is on the verge of a comeback (or career redemption, if you prefer).

- - -

Mickey Rourke eyes 'Iron Man 2'

Rourke is in discussions to play a villain described as Tony Stark's Russian alter ego, a heavily tattooed bruiser who is in the arms trade and battles Iron Man in his own nuclear-powered armored suit.

Variety, January 7

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

ironman2poster.jpg

Rhoadie and Stark got each other's backs! Awesome.

Edited by Persona

The trailer is now online, and it looks all kinds of awesome. Love the scene with Pepper Potts and the helmet, as well as that final shot of Stark and Rhodes taking on some baddies.

That trailer rates just about a "10" for me. Thrilling, full of tasty appetizers, and yet I have very little sense of the actual story. In other words, I don't feel like I've just seen the film.

I remember that the original Iron Man trailer was similarly conservative in what it revealed, which made the film so much more surprisingly satisfying.

Yeah, that exchange with Poppy is immediately a classic superhero movie moment. I do kinda wish they'd left *that* for the actual film.

Edited by Overstreet

Awesome.

So, I take it that is Whiplash/Blacklash?

Ooh, answered my own question at wikipedia. How cool.

Don Cheadle rules out War Machine spin-off, hopes to return in Iron Man 3

And what about his feelings on replacing Terrence Howard last October? Cheadle says he wouldn't take the role until he knew for sure Howard was okay with the idea: "My first and only hesitation was about Terrence, because he is a friend. I wasn't going to do it until after he said he wasn't taking it. But, y'know, it's a short list. If you're on it, and you say no, they're on to the next guy."

Coventry Telegraph, February 2

- - -

So Howard said "no" first? The way Howard himself has talked about it, he makes it sound like the studio dropped him, not vice versa.

'Iron Man 2' Occurs Before 'Incredible Hulk' In Marvel Movie Timeline, Says Jon Favreau

Of course, this seems to make perfect sense, given what we know of "Iron Man 2" and the final scene of "Incredible Hulk," in which Tony Stark approaches General Ross in a bar to talk with him about his "unusual problem."

In the final "Hulk" scene, Stark asks Ross, "What if I told you we were putting a team together?" — [implying] that he's not only aware of Nick Fury's "Avengers" team, but is also a member. This would seem to indicate that the armored superhero's status as a solo act in "Iron Man 2" plays nice with Favreau's timeline for the Marvel movie universe, despite the order in which the films were released.

MTV Splash Page, February 4

- - -

(Man, I hate it when people say "inferring" when what they really mean is "implying".)

The new trailer has just been released, and it's pretty nice: more shots of Mickey Rourke/Whiplash in action, including an intriguing scene with Sam Rockwell, and some shots of Scarlett Johansson/Black Widow doing her thing.

Complex.com speaks to actress Olivia Munn:

You're in two gigantic movies this year. Let's talk about Iron Man 2 first because it's fucking Iron Man 2.

Olivia Munn:
Actually, they just gave me another role in the film. I had to reshoot all of my scenes.

Wait, didn't they start filming like last year or something?

Olivia Munn:
Yeah, but as they started to edit they realized it was becoming darker than what they'd expected and what my scenes had allowed for. My parts were lighthearted and comedic.

Yikes.

Olivia Munn:
Jon Favreau called and was like, "I've got good news and bad news: This is what's happening in editing but we all really like you." Marvel and Jon had to add another character from the Marvel universe to keep me included.

I need details! Tell us anything about the old or new role.

Olivia Munn:
I can't talk specifics because it's Iron Man 2! But when they call, you say, "OK, I'm there. What do you need?" You don't say, "Who is this Marvel? Did you call my agent? Is FIJI Water on set?" Everyone knows who the stars are in this movie. I'm not one of them and I understand the editing process. Some things don't work out.

What if you'd stayed on the cutting room floor?

Olivia Munn:
I would've started crying.

That should make for an interesting set of deleted scenes.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

I tell you, the day somebody first pointed out the Wilhelm Scream to me, my enjoyment of movies was ruined forever. I hear it EVERYWHERE now, and it always, always, but always takes me out of the movie.