Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Iron Man 2

118 posts in this topic

Persona wrote:

: And there's also a scene in which Tony is apparently shooting something with the Black Widow, and I don't remember that, either. I know my memory is bad -- is that scene in the film? (Goodness. I don't think it is that bad.)

Ah, do you mean the scene where Tony lets the Black Widow test one of the glove repulsors? Yeah, I believe that was in at least one of the trailers but is also missing from the film.

: Here's my question -- why would they play a trailer that has scenes not in the actual film?

Well, trailers are often put together long before the films in question are finished, so they often include material that ends up getting cut down the road. (Think of the scene in The Empire Strikes Back where C3PO rips a warning label off of a door, or the scene in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers where Miranda Otto prepares to battle an orc ... these scenes were cut from the actual films, but bits of them remain in the early trailers. And then there are little details like the way Picard says "The line must be drawn HERE!" in Star Trek: First Contact -- the shot of him saying this in the early trailer is different from the shot of him saying this in the finished film, so the line reading is slightly different, etc.)

: And then, especially now that it's been out nine days -- why would they continue to play it? What's the tactic there? Is is so that we'll all know that the future DVD has deleted scenes?

Could be, who knows. Or maybe they're just too lazy to cut new trailers.

It's not the actual work--its the billable hours, the special assessments for the re-opening the files, the rush fees for cutting in the queue, the pull fees for getting the old files...

You should see the INTERNAL charges my company bills itself, much less what contractors bill us. Like, we put a $200 router in one of my labs. The IT contractors showed up, took it, yelled at us for "address conflicts", and then sent us a bill for $3600 to replace it. And we're in flyover country. Its got to be ten times worse in California.

A sharp-eyed fellow in another forum I frequent observed some cool tie-ins with other Avenger movies, namely the Hulk's rampage in New York, and locations of other future Avengers. Here are the screen-caps of his observations:

51pmp5.jpg

Um, where's this guy getting screencaps from?

Um, where's this guy getting screencaps from?

Probably a pirated download. Possibly a pirated dvd.

Cool.

The Captain America shield is, of course, recycled from the first Iron Man.

ironman-cptamerica-shield.jpg

Very cool about the Hulk tie-in, though. I have heard Favreau and others say that Iron Man 2 has to take place BEFORE The Incredible Hulk, because Tony Stark isn't on-board with the Avengers yet when Iron Man 2 begins, whereas he is clearly on-board by the time he has his Hulk cameo. But I hadn't realized that they had tied the current movie to The Incredible Hulk so specifically.

Cool.

The Captain America shield is, of course, recycled from the first Iron Man.

ironman-cptamerica-shield.jpg

Very cool about the Hulk tie-in, though. I have heard Favreau and others say that Iron Man 2 has to take place BEFORE The Incredible Hulk, because Tony Stark isn't on-board with the Avengers yet when Iron Man 2 begins, whereas he is clearly on-board by the time he has his Hulk cameo. But I hadn't realized that they had tied the current movie to The Incredible Hulk so specifically.

Something that confused me at first was that the SHIELD agent clearly knew what Captain America's shield was, when I thought that it was just something that Tony had invented and discarded sometime before the first movie and would be dug up at some point when Captain America seemed to need it. But the agent's recognition now makes me think that it was something Stark's father invented in conjunction with Fury.

Edited by Cunningham

Only have a few moments. Finally saw this yesterday. Choppy... that was the word that came to mind once it was over.

FWIW, this has been out 6 weekends and will probably pass the $300 million mark in the next few days, about 2 weeks ahead of the first film.

FWIW, this has been out 6 weekends and will probably pass the $300 million mark in the next few days, about 2 weeks ahead of the first film.

It did less business in the end, though -- at least in North America. Worldwide, Iron Man 2 has racked up about $621.2 million compared to Iron Man's $585.2 million.

- - -

How Iron Man 2 Ruined Jon Favreau's Relationship With Marvel

Our source says Iron Man 2 wasn’t the movie Jon Favreau wanted to make. Marvel interfered heavily with his work on the movie and turned the project into an infomercial for The Avengers. Favreau felt the movie was rushed into production (and if you followed the development process you know it was) and they pushed him into making it without a fully realized script. Iron Man 2 wasn’t the movie he wanted to make and because of that, if there’s an Iron Man 3, there’s every reason to think he won’t be back. Marvel doesn’t want to pay him and Favreau may not want to deal with more Marvel interference.

Favreau wasn’t the only one unhappy with Iron Man 2. Robert Downey Jr. saw those same problems and according to our source, “While he's locked for Iron Man 3, chances are, that will be his last movie.” In the meantime, Downey will get (and probably deserves) top billing in The Avengers. . . .

Cinema Blend, August 5

A sharp-eyed fellow in another forum I frequent observed some cool tie-ins with other Avenger movies, namely the Hulk's rampage in New York, and locations of other future Avengers. Here are the screen-caps of his observations:

Jon Favreau has now confirmed the Easter eggs -- and the post containing this confirmation has sharper screen-caps, I think.

I wonder if this will be among the confirmed Easter eggs as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJBm1IyJ624

I finally saw this last night, and I liked it about the same as the first one. The RDJ/Gwyneth combo is still the strongest thing this franchise has going for it. And it looked really slick; some very impressive effects in this one.

It turns into too much of a demolition derby, and I remembered watching Die Hard 2 and wondering, "How can this movie have anything like a happy ending when the bad guys are unleashing so much destruction?" The movie takes great pains to avoid showing what must have been a high death toll around the city.

I've never been more annoyed by Sam Rockwell. The character they gave him was supposed to be annoying, but they gave him so much being-a-jerk screen time that he made the film seem like it was dragging on far too long.

I've never been more annoyed by Sam Rockwell. The character they gave him was supposed to be annoying, but they gave him so much being-a-jerk screen time that he made the film seem like it was dragging on far too long.

Agreed on the Rockwell role.

When I had a chance to meet Rockwell during the Conviction meet-n-greet, I asked him to name his favorite movie of the year. He wrinkled his brow, threw out one or two titles of films he’d seen, then said he liked Toy Story 3 a lot. He said he was a fan of some of this year’s other sequels, but beyond Toy Story 3, he couldn’t remember exactly which ones.

“What other sequels came out this year?” he asked a group of us standing nearby.

[pause while no one offered up an answer]

I bit my lip for a few seconds, but then, realizing no one else was going to say it, coughed up, “Iron Man 2?”

He was a good sport and laughed.

I love Rockwell in this movie.

Specifically, I love his relationship with Mickey Rourke. Rockwell and Rourke, not Downey Jr. and Paltrow, are the best screwball pairing in Iron Man 2 (although it's close).

I'm with SDG.

Go Team SDG!