Sign in to follow this  
Rich Kennedy

YOU ARE INVITED! EH, BUT YOU WON'T SHOW.

I'VE BROUGHT THIS UP BEFORE. ARE THERE NO CAR BUFFS AMONG US?

The Woodward Dreamcruise is upon us. Internationally famous apparantly, this thing started in '96 as a fun fundraiser for a Ferndale soccer field and has now metastisized into a 22 mile traffic jam of vintage, antique, and rare cars plus specific shows sponsered by car companies. It is NUTS. Supposedly on the third Saturday of August, cars are already "cruising Woodward" the Detroit mainstreet that goes all the way to the capitol of the next county where it loops around the downtown center there as "Widetrack Drive". By the weekend BEFORE the 'Cruise, Woodward will be pretty congested with folks showing off what they have, works-in-progress, and gawkers.

I live two and a half blocks west of Woodward (M-1) in Ferndale. Ferndale hosts the (booooorrrrring) Mustang Show west of Woodward on Nine Mile and a vintage Ford exhibit east of Woodward at the City Hall complex. Just to the north in beautiful and tiny Pleasant Ridge, the first "Next Cruise" will shine. This is a show of hybrids, new technology, and advanced takes on personal transportation. I'm rather excited about this one. I live just over the border from "PR", so it's a quick walk.

Cars will be slowly making their way from the Michigan State Fairgrounds just south of the northern Detroit city line all the way to downtown Pontiac with GM exhibits in swank Birmingham and Mopar shows in Royal Oak at 13 Mile, the heart of "Woodwarding" in the '50's and '60's here.

Here's the deal, you want to come? PM me. I've got a spare room and in addition some good airbeds. Real ones that are almost as tall as a bed. Like I say, PM me. You like cars? This is a lot of fun. I'll post some official websites as soon as I find them.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I'll post some official websites as soon as I find them.

Some promise! Sorry so late, here it is:

www.woodwarddreamcruise.com

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I'm the only car guy here, huh? Looks like an excellent 'Cruise this year. Friday afternoon it was already almost full. Some sights:

• Did I really see my first rolling Deussie? Big, beautiful maroon Deussenberg, of all things! Never seen one on the street before. These things are worth millions in any good shape at all and if nothing happens on this most rubbernecker's event, it would still cost plenty to clean up the thing for concourse condition. Could it possibly be one of those high quality "recreations" I've been seeing in Hemmings Motor News for the price of a better Ferarri?
  • In the "didn't think those were still around here" department, I drove past a perfect old Hudson Hornet (the Paul Newman character in Cars). Also an example of a dragster from the late fifties, a jacked up '55 called "Gentile's Injecterator". By jacked up, I mean all four wheels. That's how they did it here back then. Speaking of mid-fifties GM, I'm sooo tired of "55-57"s, meaning Chevies. You see them all the time, not just on 'Cruise weekend. There seems to be a nice selection of similar vintage Olds' and Buicks this year though, which is a bit more obscure.
  • A perfect ca '58 Chrysler "hardtop wagon". You never see late fifties Mopar here, let alone this exotic species. In this case hardtop means no "B" post between the doors. All three American companies made some very few station wagons like this from about 1957 through '59. Rising in value as we speak....
  • There's always a particular car that you don't always see that is almost ubiquitous in a particular year. This year it looks like it will be the Mercury Comet from the mid-sixties. Few seem to collect them around here, but I must have seen about 15 between Ten Mile Road and Fourteen Mile on Friday.
  • A diesel 'Vette? It appears that is what I saw parked at the Next Cruise exhibit in Pleasant Ridge. I'm going to bike up there tomorrow afternoon. This I have to see. Audi has been tearing up the Prototype I endurance series with a diesel for years now. This should be interesting.

• A diesel 'Vette? It appears that is what I saw parked at the Next Cruise exhibit in Pleasant Ridge. I'm going to bike up there tomorrow afternoon. This I have to see. Audi has been tearing up the Prototype I endurance series with a diesel for years now. This should be interesting.
Boy did that turn out to be a bust! The Motor City is jaded when it comes to cars, especially auto show type stuff. The Next Cruise turned out to be just that. A chance to gawk at hybrids and glorified golf carts. GM had the most impressive exhibit with two seemingly tricked out Corvettes. There was a garishly painted C-6 (meaning Corvette generation six, or the present body style) that will be the pace car for the Detroit-Belle Isle Grand Prix on Labor Day weekend (IRL road course). It is an E-85 'vette. I don't think they are available for sale yet. The plastic crap covering the engine advertises 700 hp.

It was the diesel that was a whiff. A C-1 (the first one with the protruding taillights and the single headlight lens) with an alleged turbo-bio-diesel engine under the hood. It was a car show roller though. The suspension mounts were empty. I'll bet that wedging the engine in left no room for a coil over shock package of any sort. This is the sort of thing you see at auto shows all the time. If the automotive journalists are doing their jobs, the reporting usually tells you beforehand what drove off the trailor and what was pushed onto the exhibit as a mockup to catch the eye. But the Woodward Dream Cruise is, well, a Cruise! Even if it's parked, the idea is to at least be able to drive the thing.

Just as I thought, the Next Cruise turned out to be a gimick that got folks south of the freeway and into Pleasant Ridge and a gimick that gave the 'Cruise an environmental justification this year. And life goes on. No one is really ready to remake the auto industry into anything. If someone was, that one would have taken the whole thing by storm this year.

Edited by Rich Kennedy