Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Amazing Spider-Man

Ryan H. wrote:

: What was cut from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN?

I did notice a few of these while watching the film. One thing they *don't* mention is the bit in the trailers where Gwen says something like "my dad's got X number of policemen looking for you" and Peter says "that seems excessive". I was always struck by that moment in the trailer because it basically gave away that Peter wouldn't be keeping his superhero identity a secret from Gwen -- but when the actual scene itself arrived in the film, that particular bit of dialogue was missing.

Haven't walked out of a film for a long time. I think I may have made it halfway through this one. Not quite sure how long I lasted as I stopped looking for a second act about halfway through the first one.

This is pretty much the film I always figured Vinny was making during Entourage.

Well, let's all agree that the kid imperiled in that car on the bridge was a pretty cool sequence.

Easily the best moment in the film, and a better character moment than anything in Raimi's trilogy.

This is actually the moment that I stepped out. Kid, car, peril, web thing. Yada yada yada. What am I missing here?

This is actually the moment that I stepped out. Kid, car, peril, web thing. Yada yada yada. What am I missing here?

So you're saying you walked out because of boredom?

I did feel bored at a few points; from time to time I felt the "too soon for a reboot" fatigue.

Nothing so much that it would've/should've encouraged you to stay. I thought it was the one moment of genuine suspense in the film, even though the outcome was never really in doubt.

So you're saying you walked out because of boredom?

I did feel bored at a few points; from time to time I felt the "too soon for a reboot" fatigue.

I couldn't find a reason to be interested in this Spiderman character and backstory, so I held on for the big motivating factor that would lead to him becoming full-blown Spiderman - as that kind of thing is supposed to be interesting and dramatic. That moment just never seemed to come. By the time he becomes full-blown Spiderman, I feel like I missed something.

I couldn't find a reason to be interested in this Spiderman character and backstory, so I held on for the big motivating factor that would lead to him becoming full-blown Spiderman - as that kind of thing is supposed to be interesting and dramatic. That moment just never seemed to come. By the time he becomes full-blown Spiderman, I feel like I missed something.

Seems a different way of saying what SDG found very problematic.

Nothing so much that it would've/should've encouraged you to stay. I thought it was the one moment of genuine suspense in the film, even though the outcome was never really in doubt.

What's pretty great about the scene with the kid in the car is the connection Peter establishes with the kid. He has to get the kid to trust him and cooperate with the rescue, so he takes off his mask, throws it to the kid, keeps up a stream of reassuring chatter. Then as the situation worsens he needs the kid to climb out of the car, so he tells him to put on the mask and it'll make him stronger.

It's a neat bit of character writing, though the drama is somewhat ginned-up because all Peter had to do the moment he landed on the car was secure it with a few more weblines and everything would've been fine.

Then again, I say that having grown up reading Spider-Man comics since I was younger than Peter is here. Of course I'd be a much better Spider-Man than Peter is. spiderman.gif

Hah! If only Peter Parker had access to Spider-Man comics...it would have made things so much easier for him. smile.png

Edited by Nezpop

SDG -

... We live in a glut of super-hero movies, and a new interpretation needs to justify its existence. Too much of The Amazing Spider-Man plays like what it is: a project of expedience created by Sony to prevent film rights from lapsing to Disney/Marvel ...

... And by the end, my brain felt like a lump of cold oatmeal. It felt neglected. It felt the way my arm feels when I’ve slept on it all night. I don’t plan to waste time writing an actual review of this film because, really, what is there to talk about ... The movie gave my brain nothing to do. It gave me nothing to think about, nothing to ponder ... For all of the amazing depth and dimension of the imagery, I sensed no depth or dimension in the storytelling ...

Haven't walked out of a film for a long time. I think I may have made it halfway through this one.

Am I the only person who finds the big fight scenes between heroes and villains to be almost entirely without interest? ... these scenes used to have some tension, some pizazz, something that made them exciting to watch ... The big confrontation occurs, and I almost instantly start thinking about what I might have for dinner.

... (It felt like one of a number of things that were done differently in this film Just Because this film needed to do things differently to differentiate itself from the previous films.) And *without* that moral lesson (as one critic put it ten years ago, Spider-Man is different from other top-tier heroes because he is aware of his own moral failings and the consequences thereof) ...

... no two scenes in a row have the same (or a rational progression of the) emotional arc. I don't normally notice music, but that had to be the worst soundtrack I've ever heard ... The first hour is so labored and forced ... Feels like a movie they made as a placeholder to maintain the rights and not because anyone had a good idea about why it should be made or what it was supposed to be about.

It's funny that my complaint is that the similarities to moments cherry-picked from the first two Raimi films do a lot to highlight the film's shortcomings, putting into contrast the things Raimi's films did very well ...

Another advantage to reading A&F threads: learning when to avoid wasting my time watching something that Hollywood was tempting me to watch.

Edited by Persiflage

It's gone now, but various sites (such as The Playlist) had a YouTube clip of a deleted scene in which the Irrfan Khan character strongly implies, to Peter Parker's face, that he, Parker, had been the subject of some genetic experimentation conducted by his father.

So, yeah, they were going to go the full Ang-Lee-Hulk here.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

So, yeah, they were going to go the full Ang-Lee-Hulk here.

So I have to ask: Have people been saying "going full X" ever since Tropic Thunder and I just didn't notice, or has it suddenly become a thing recently? Recently on Twitter some celebrity seemed to be blaming an offensive retweet on a Twitter malfunction, and somebody referred to her "going full Weiner"…and now this.

SDG wrote:

: So I have to ask: Have people been saying "going full X" ever since Tropic Thunder and I just didn't notice, or has it suddenly become a thing recently?

Huh, I would have thought the expression went back at least as far as The Full Monty, but Googling "go the full" doesn't really turn up anything non-Monty or non-Thunder until just the last couple of years.

FWIW, just searching A&F for "go the full" turns up "go the full Iceman" in a May 2004 post in our thread on X-Men: The Last Stand, "go the full exclusive access all areas tour" in an August 2004 post in our thread on King Arthur, "go the full 22%" in a September 2006 post in our thread on 'Tithing', "go the full nine yards" in a November 2007 post in our thread on 'Materialism and the moral argument', and "go the full Temple of Doom, or the full Last Crusade" in a December 2011 post in our thread on Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows.

Most of those "going the full…" strike me as qualitatively different from Tropic Thunder's "going full retard" and the instance of "going full Weiner" that I cited. I did notice the definite article in "going the full Ang-Lee-Hulk" but it didn't strike me as that significant until you grouped it with examples like "go the full exclusive access all areas tour" and "go the full 22%."

FWIW, just searching A&F for "go the full" turns up "go the full Iceman" in a May 2004 post in our thread on X-Men: The Last Stand, "go the full exclusive access all areas tour" in an August 2004 post in our thread on King Arthur, "go the full 22%" in a September 2006 post in our thread on 'Tithing', "go the full nine yards" in a November 2007 post in our thread on 'Materialism and the moral argument', and "go the full Temple of Doom, or the full Last Crusade" in a December 2011 post in our thread on Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows.

Having watched Argo earlier tonight, I was reading the thread and found you suggesting they should have "go[ne] the full Charlie Kaufman" :)

Having watched Argo earlier tonight, I was reading the thread and found you suggesting they should have "go[ne] the full Charlie Kaufman" smile.png

That's it! I knew I had encountered another example recently! And again with the definite article. I guess the Tropic Thunder influence is really only apparent in the absence of the article, e.g., "going full Weiner" (it helps when the reference is negative, too).