The Book of Eli

Peter T Chattaway

I also understood that he was blind.

Maybe that's why it's taken him 30 years to walk across America, when Forrest Gump can do it in a few months.

Edited by Anders

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well how did he shoot all those people, what is he freaking Daredevil with built-in radar senses? And are you really going to answer that God guided his bullets?

This conversation is starting to remind me that there are parts of the OT that I can't stand just as much as Revelation, the book I wish we could toss from the canon.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

This conversation is starting to remind me that there are parts of the OT that I can't stand just as much as Revelation, the book I wish we could toss from the canon.

Why?

I, personally, have no beef with any of the canonical books of the Bible. Some of them strike me as a bit unnecessary--particularly the shorter NT epistles--but I wouldn't want to toss any of them. And I much prefer reading the Old Testament to reading the New Testament.

God guiding bullets to kill people is about as cool as God killing people in the OT. Because they either didn't think right or he didn't reveal himself in the same way to them, either way, I call Him to task on it. It's a constant conversation we seem to have. That's the way I've learned to deal with what I consider to be his hypocrisy. Now I'm trying to get Him to deal with mine. (We talk about that, too.)

Edited by Persona

Why? Lest you forget all the fun we had in The Last Temptation of Christ thread.

It's a weak twist and one that tries to hide beneath the fig leaf of

"blind people's other senses are heightened"

but really pushes it WA-HAY beyond credibility. But because it's right at the end I can kind of ignore that bit and not let it spoil the meditativey bits.

Maybe

Matt

Will you please spell out for me exactly what it was that was supposed to make me think this? Because, in the words of many Italians in the neighborhood I grew up in, "I donna geetta it."

I think it's when Oldman gets hold of the book at the end, opens it up and

we see it's Braille

will tell you more.

Matt

Plus, as I recall, the Oldman scene with the book is intercut with a close-up shot of Denzel as he starts to recite the opening verses, and the camera zooms in and we see that

he has cataracts or some sort of "cloudiness" over his eyes.

And as much of a stretch as it is, I think we're truly supposed to believe that

God is assisting Eli in all those gun battles. Well, God and a sensitivity to shadows and sunlight.

All that aside, how else would one explain how Eli

wanders across the continent and yet ends up RIGHT at San Francisco Bay and Alcatraz? Even a sighted person couldn't do that.

Not sure about the God assisted bit, for protection possibly, but I'm ot sure the support for it is that strong.

As for him turning up right at Alcatraz he has been walking for years and years, perhaps there were a lot of wring turns.

Fwiw though I though he was walking Wast and yet he ends up on the west coast. Or did I get confused somewhere?

Matt

I have never seen the word "WA-HAY" before. Now I'm eager to use it.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Why? Lest you forget all the fun we had in The Last Temptation of Christ thread.

I do not. But for fear of going off-topic, I invite you here, where I've already spoken about my Jesus film, and can address you without taking this thread wildly off-topic. But simply put, I don't struggle with God's violent action in the same way that you do.

Not that I can really relate it to THE BOOK OF ELI, a film I haven't seen, and don't really care to see.