For what it's worth...

I just received an email asking for my opinion on THIS controversy.

I have no opinion, as I've never read Dekker, I haven't read Peretti since high school, and Christians wringing their hands over R-ratings and spooky images is nothing new to me at all.

But I thought some of you might know enough about this project to find this interesting.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Apologies to those who take this kind of thing seriously, but upon discovering that some of the controversy centers on the movie poster, I couldn't help remembering this line from Buffy 7.16 "Storyteller" (sorry--you know everything reminds me of Buffy):

BUFFY: Well, I know it's a goat with its tongue out. Uh, Willow did a search on the symbolic database, but it turns out everybody loves a good goat's tongue. Rock groups, covens and greek cookbooks.

Now that we've got that out of the way, if Dekker & co. want to reach an unchurched audience, the R rating is a sure-fire route. OTOH, whether the unchurched audience will get the message...another question altogether and mostly beyond an author's control.

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Strangely enough, I read the book. It was also the first Peretti I'd read since high school and my only encounter with Dekker. I was bored during lunch breaks at a prior job, to which I commuted. So there was no going home, the town was sleepy and someone in the office happened to have placed that book on the "share spot" of the table in the break room.

Hello Christian horror books. Terrible theology and just overall bad.

I think they may be in trouble if they are now aiming this in a direction other than the Left Behind clan.