They did it with Battlestar Galactica, and now everyone's favorite hampster-eating aliens are getting a makeover. Scott Peters, who co-created The 4400, is producing an updated version of the highly successful mini-series V. V also had a successful followup, V: The Final Battle (not), which led to the underperforming TV series. No word if Marc (The Beastmaster) Singer will be making an appearance in the new series.

Story here.

BTW... I thought we had a previous thread on V, but I couldn't locate it to make a link.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

V also had a successful followup, V: The Final Battle (not), which led to the underperforming TV series.

Are you sure it was not a successful follow-up? It got nominated for three emmys. It was not quite as smart as the original mini-series of course, but I also remember it being quite a bit of fun. Though, yeah, the reviews I am finding online seem to share one question...what's with the "star child"?

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

V also had a successful followup, V: The Final Battle (not), which led to the underperforming TV series.

Are you sure it was not a successful follow-up? It got nominated for three emmys. It was not quite as smart as the original mini-series of course, but I also remember it being quite a bit of fun. Though, yeah, the reviews I am finding online seem to share one question...what's with the "star child"?

I didn't mean to imply that V: The Final Battle wasn't successful in the ratings. I know that it did well, and I savored every moment of it. I meant to imply that it wasn't "the final battle", hence the follow-up TV series, that unfortunately kept moving around its timeslot and ultimately suffered in the ratings. :(

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I didn't mean to imply that V: The Final Battle wasn't successful in the ratings. I know that it did well, and I savored every moment of it. I meant to imply that it wasn't "the final battle", hence the follow-up TV series, that unfortunately kept moving around its timeslot and ultimately suffered in the ratings. :(

Oh, I see what you are saying. :) Yeah, I remember liking the series, and got frustrated that it could not get past a first season.

• 3 months later...

ABC greenlights sci-fi pilot

ABC has officially greenlit a pilot for its reworking of "V," the 1980s miniseries about alien lizards coming down to Earth (Daily Variety, Oct. 10).

Variety, January 26

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 months later...

The Trailer....

Hmmmm.... Not that the trailer doesn't impress me, but my first question upon seeing this was: Does this mean that Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliette) is not returning to LOST?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Not necessarily. They may have a schedule worked out, she may be making limited Lost appearances. I would not presume she is gone for good, since both are ABC shows.

The Trailer....

Hmmmm.... Not that the trailer doesn't impress me, but my first question upon seeing this was: Does this mean that Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliette) is not returning to LOST?

Dude, she was touching a nuclear bomb when it went off. There's nothing left of Juliet to return.

Oh, wait, I forgot, its "Lost" we're talking about. Nevermind.

Oh, wait, I forgot, its "Lost" we're talking about. Nevermind.

I am certain that in the greatest television brain twist ever, V is actually season seven of Lost, which will play along season six, but show us where they are going when season 6 ends. Just wait and see!

Televisionary has an "advance" review of the pilot--significant spoilers but they insist they don't review key twists or the ending to the episode. Edited by pilgrimscrybe
So, Morena Baccarin and Alan Tudyk (I THOUGHT I spotted him in that trailer) in the same pilot? Where's Nathan Fillion? Woo hoo!

According to Wikipedia, Tudyk is in the pilot but isn't listed as a main cast member.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 3 months later...

ABC eyes 'pod' treatment for 'V'

It earned some of the biggest raves from fans and critics of any pilot this season, yet the scuttlebutt continues that "V" is in trouble.

Fueling the fire: ABC's decision to split this season's 13 episodes into two "pods." Network confirmed Friday that the sci-fi drama will launch as planned on Tuesday, Nov. 3, at 8 p.m., for four episodes. The show will then take a hiatus and return in midseason - most likely, March - to run its remaining nine segs.

Variety, September 25

ABC to split run of 'V' series

ABC is going for a staggered rollout pattern for new series "V," slated to premiere Nov. 4.

The network will likely air the first four episodes of the alien drama in November, with the remaining segments of the 13-episode order eyed for spring, probably March.

The four-episode November run will end with a cliffhanger, setting up the stage for "V's" midseason return.

Hollywood Reporter, September 25

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

ABC eyes 'pod' treatment for 'V'

It earned some of the biggest raves from fans and critics of any pilot this season, yet the scuttlebutt continues that "V" is in trouble.

Fueling the fire: ABC's decision to split this season's 13 episodes into two "pods." Network confirmed Friday that the sci-fi drama will launch as planned on Tuesday, Nov. 3, at 8 p.m., for four episodes. The show will then take a hiatus and return in midseason - most likely, March - to run its remaining nine segs.

Variety, September 25

Yes, because Lost Fans loved that so much in the third season. Is ABC trying to sabotage the show?

• 1 month later...

i am surprised that the "is V anti-obama?" discussion hasn't started here

Well, I didn't read it as that one sided. Afterall, they more than implied the Bush Administration were Visitors.

Edited by Nezpop

Well, I didn't read it is that one sided. Afterall, they more than implied the Bush Administration were Visitors.

Exec. producer Jeffrey Bell (formerly worked on Angel, X Files, Alias) comments on the political allegory angle in an interview with Todd Hertz:

Here's how we view it: This show was conceived during a Bush administration and is being executed during an Obama administration. There are people who really want to politicize this show, but that isn't our intention. We're just trying to tell good stories with arguments on both sides. What is interesting to us is that America—under Bush or Obama—is the giant imperialistic force imposing itself around the world for good or bad. In our story, humans are the colonials and the Vs are showing up as the imperials...Anyone can look at it and see what they want. As a Christian, you could see the Vs as demons disguised an angel of light. As a political person you could say, "Oh, it's this person!" The beauty of it is that you can bring your own beliefs to it.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Well, I didn't read it as that one sided. Afterall, they more than implied the Bush Administration were Visitors.

Yeah, but the whole "You must not portray us in a negative light" was pure Obama. (And Biden.)

Yeah, but the whole "You must not portray us in a negative light" was pure Obama. (And Biden.)

Really? That totally screamed Bush/Cheney to me. From Ari Fleischer to Dana Perrino, attacking media personalities was their game. Yeah, Obama has continued that, but that ain't pure Obama. I assumed "universal healthcare" and "hope" were the buzzwords that set off folks like Ingram. Because, you know, Obama invented the word "hope". And the concept of Universal healthcare (which I suspect was far more meant to be a joke, rather than a political statement.

There is also a difference between what Anna demans of Wolf's character and the White House's treatment of Fox. Fox is such an openly hostile network to the administration, that I understand them not really showing up there. But if they were requiring networks to only portray them in a positive light, um, why are they not shunning MSNBC? Many of it's hosts have criticized the president over the past year (including Olbermann and Maddow).

Edited by Nezpop

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone actually watching this show? Any thoughts?

I've watch all four episodes. I am liking it. I am intrigued by how little we have seen of the "real face" of the Visitors. The original mini-series had full on lizard face within an hour.

I am working my way through the entire original V (mini-series through the 19 episode TV series) to compare. I think the original mini-series better established it characters in it's first hour, I think the Visitor are far more seductive in the new series.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the character of Jack -- the whole priest vs. soldier thing. Without the flashback/backstory technique of shows like Lost and Battlestar Galactica it's hard to feel this as anything other than a cliche.

Same for Erica -- knowing something about what happened when her husband left her would give me a character beyond the single mom with a teenager thing we're getting right now.

I think it's only my weakness for sci-fi that's holding me at this point....

• 4 months later...

'V' star Gretsch says priest role is tricky amid ongoing church scandal

There was a time when playing a priest on TV was a heavenly assignment. You'd be portraying a kindly caregiver, like Merlin Olsen on "Father Murphy," or a voice of reason amidst the chaos, like William Christopher's Father Mulcahy on "MASH." At worse, one might be seen as a bit of a con man and pony player as in the Irish sitcom "Father Ted."

These days, after weeks of headlines dealing with decades of abuse within the Catholic Church, drawing the priest role on TV can be pure hell.

Which is why Joel Gretsch is happy to be playing a noble if complex man of the cloth in the sci-fi drama "V" (airing Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on ABC and A).

Gretsch is no stranger to sci-fi (or events such as Comic-Con) after feature roles in "The 4400" and the Steven Spielberg miniseries "Taken." He says Father Jack Landry is the kind of priest he remembers when he was growing up in a small town in Minnesota.

The 46-year-old remembers attending leadership camps, "and was always around priests playing softball and going to mass and, you know, legitimate things about what it's like to be a priest," he told a small group of international reporters recently in Los Angeles.

He still sees the priesthood as "a very interesting, wonderful, noble thing to do and it's a complex thing to do."

That's certainly the case for Father Jack on "V." . . .

"V," like several prime time U.S. programs (including "Supernatural," Smallville," "Human Target" and "Fringe") is based in Vancouver, so it was a challenge to shoot around the Olympic events for the 16 days that the Games took over the city.

The intrusion was no hassle for Gretsch, who scored the ultimate Canadian fantasy - tickets to the Canada-USA Gold Medal hockey final.

Following the international "V" press conference, Gretsch showed off his perfect view of the game, captured on video on his iPhone. The centre ice level clip captured the crowd cheering prior to the opening face off.

Gretsch panned around to show who he was sitting next to - Captain James T. Kirk himself, William Shatner!

The pairing was no accident. Shatner took part in the Games' closing ceremonies a few hours later. He asked Gretsch to join him at the big game. And why not? Gretsch, who is married to Melanie Shatner, is Shatner's son-in-law. . . .

Canadian Press, April 15

• 9 months later...

So, season 2 is really expanding the series...they are not merely here for food. But what has really been interesting to me is the emphasis on the soul. Last week introduced a character who had infiltrated

the Vatican-so engrained he never revealed himself to the other visitors when they came for a meeting. He had embraced faith and saw the soul as something good. Anna has been studying the soul as a threat to be eradicated.

Overall, I am really enjoying the reboot, the second season is doing a good job building on the promise of th first.