Sign in to follow this  

Television

Nobody believes me, but I contend that "The Guardian" is the best drama on network TV. Toward the end of this past season, it was hitting on all cylinders. Great stuff.

I don't know anyone under the age of 40 who watches the show, other than my wife.

Nobody believes me, but I contend that "The Guardian" is the best drama on network TV. Toward the end of this past season, it was hitting on all cylinders. Great stuff.

I don't know anyone under the age of 40 who watches the show, other than my wife.

I believe you, but I'm over the age of 40, so maybe I don't count smile.gif

Well, maybe it's not the best drama on network TV, but it's definitely right up there in the top 5. Best drama without vampires? No doubt!

Gee all the TV talk here, and nobody has said anything about Dead Like Me (which I had started a thread on at one point). Is it under everyone's radar?

Guest Russell Lucas

I've caught a few episodes of it because they shoot exteriors locally-- the building where Baker's character works is the building where I work. It's not bad.

Alan, I sympathize with your conflict. We've had cable turned off and on again at least a half-dozen times in the ten years we've been married. I do enjoy watching sports-- especially the NHL, which is pretty much cable-only-- but the high cost and the comparative paucity of worthwhile programing make it difficult to justify the expense.

Presently we're paying $10 per month for network channels, or the privilege of not having to fuss with rabbit ears. Still, I could see us acing that as well.

I doubt I'll take on more channels anytime soon unless they implement either (1) a menu-type service where you can pick with some detail the channels you want and pay a somewhat lower fee-- I could be very happy with about 15 channels, but 80 or so is a recipe for discontent, or (2) a true pay-per-view scenario in which you pay some fee for every program watched, which would discourage idle channel-surfing.

Gee all the TV talk here, and nobody has said anything about Dead Like Me (which I had started a thread on at one point). Is it under everyone's radar?

It's on Showtime, isn't it? We have cable, but no "premium" channels, so I don't expect to see Dead Like Me any time soon.

Based simply on the premise and reviews I've read, however, I'm not too upset. Generally, I've found that movies, books, and TV shows about life after death get it so wrong that I just can't care. (How do I know about life after death? Good question!)

Would I be mistaken about DLM? Do you think it works well enough metaphorically that, as a Christian, I should be able to get over the clunky life-after-death stuff? Or is it not clunky?

Or is talking about a show I haven't seen and will never see pointless? wink.gif

I find shows about life after death, and angel shows have to be seen as purely fiction. If they set up as much theological exposition as it would require to make us christians happy, well, it be boring as hell.

I mean, if you can dig Buffy, why not a fictional account of "ghost-like tales"?

Dead Like Me involves characters who are dead, but are going on living. They are Grim Reapers, they collect peoples souls when they die. This group is assigned the weird deaths. The newby in the group is a bit of a slacker (carry over from her life). They still eat and drink and need to find a place to sleep, and may have a day job to pay for things.

Is it a Christian view of death? No, not at all. Is the story about death? No, it's about what it means to be alive. It's about how easy it is to let life pass by without noticing. It's about how George is just now learning to live, even though she was killed by a flying toilet seat.

(side note: 1 more post to Cinerama!)