WB's strong on 'Samson'

In a seven-figure upfront deal, Warner Bros. has acquired "Samson," a pitch for a futuristic retelling of the Samson and Delilah story. . . .

Scott Silver will write the script, and Francis Lawrence will direct. Erwin Stoff will produce through 3 Arts.

"Samson" gives a futuristic twist to the story of the biblical strongman who was invincible until he was betrayed by Delilah, to whom he entrusted the secret that his strength came from his long hair. . . .

Variety, January 26

- - -

Francis Lawrence has also directed Constantine, I Am Legend and the pilot episode of Kings. Is there a theme here?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 years later...

Link to the duplicate thread.

- - -

"The Fighter" Screenwriter's Next Round: A Superhero Flick

“The Fighter” screenwriter Scott Silver’s next big screen combatant is going to throw down, too – this time with superpowers.

“I'm finishing up something completely different, a superhero movie set in the future for Warner Brothers,” Silver told PopcornBiz. “It's an original superhero.”

Silver, who’s Oscar-nominated for “The Fighter’s” screenplay, said the genesis of the project arose during one of the now-fabled periods when plans to make “The Fighter” were temporarily knocked out.

“At some point when the movie fell apart – we had Brad Pitt attached and we couldn't get it made – I was like, 'I literally have the cliché of having a script that can't get made with Brad Pitt,’” says Silver. “’I have to do something that people want to get made.' So this producer Erwin Stoff and Francis Lawrence and I came up with a superhero based sort of on Samson set in the future. It's an original superhero and we were fortunate enough to sell it to Warner Brothers. I've been dealing with sci-fi shit and superhero stuff, which is all new to me.” . . .

Popcorn Biz, NBC New York, February 16

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

[What I posted at 4:48 today in a new thread when the Title Search failed to find the name "Samson" anywhere.]

Color me confused by this:

The Fighter is a great movie on many levels, and it is powered by a great screenplay by Scott Silver. He has worked with real life characters who are larger than life (he also wrote 8 Mile) and is now turning to a literal superhero. Or perhaps I should say mythic — even biblical — superhero, since his new project is based on the story of Samson and Delilah.

Speaking to NBC, Scott Silver said, "I’m finishing up something completely different [than The Fighter], a superhero movie set in the future for Warner Brothers. It’s an original superhero."

That immediately touched off thoughts of Samson, which we heard about very briefly last year as something Francis Lawrence was producing and would possibly direct after Water For Elephants. Indeed, they’re the same project, which makes me wonder about the idea of it being an original hero. But transporting Samson into the future and rewriting him as a strong guy with a major weakness could lead to just about anything.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Huh, the A&F search engine worked well enough when *I* used it. Both times. (And it turns up not just these two threads on the sci-fi series, but this thread on an Australian film called Samson & Delilah, too.)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway