Sign in to follow this  
MattP

Icons and Images not working right for me in Firefox

For the last few weeks, all the images in the A&F pages just stopped working for me when I use Firefox. They all work fine in Safari. I haven't noticed the issue with any other sites I visit. I'm not referring to the user-posted images, but rather all of the little icons and button images and new topic images and so ont. Instead I just get text for all of those items. I'm sure it's probably on my end since no one else has mentioned it, but since I only see it on this site and only using Firefox I'm at a loss.

Any ideas?

Do you have any sort of ad blocking software or plugins installed in Firefox? Sometimes those can throw up "false positives" and block images that aren't really ads.

Nothing new unfortunately. It still works great in Safari, but no images at all in Firefox, and I've still not run across the problem on any other sites. Cleared the cache, don't know what the F5 equivalent in OSX is so I haven't tried that, and does IE even come in an OSX flavor? If so, I haven't tried it either. Here's a screenshot of what I see - notice all the icons are missing, replaced by text and a lot more difficult to use as there're no spaces between the icon text labels...

post-459-1236233502_thumb.png

IE used to be available for the Mac, but Microsoft pulled it many years ago.

I hate to tell you, but if the site works for another browser on the same computer, and if Firefox users on other computers aren't having the same problem, it's beyond my control. Those two test eliminate network issues and firefox compatibility issues. (Unless you're using some really unusual version of Firefox, either very new or very old.)

I don't use Firefox that often, so i don't know what might be different on your computer. (There should be an F5 button on your mac. What it does is simply refresh the page, probably not necessary at this point.)

Yeah, I don't really know what else I can do to try to debug it. I don't have any unusual version or ad blocker plugins or anything. Maybe I'll try re-installing firefox at some point and see if that helps. And the F5 is definitely there on a mac, but at least on my macbook pro it acts as a volume up button by default.

Nothing new unfortunately. It still works great in Safari, but no images at all in Firefox, and I've still not run across the problem on any other sites. Cleared the cache, don't know what the F5 equivalent in OSX is so I haven't tried that, and does IE even come in an OSX flavor? If so, I haven't tried it either. Here's a screenshot of what I see - notice all the icons are missing, replaced by text and a lot more difficult to use as there're no spaces between the icon text labels...

In Firefox, select "Clear Private Data..." from the "Tools" menu. This will allow you to delete and clear out all kinds of data that is being stored by Firefox, including cookies, saved passwords, and the browser cache. Make sure that "Cache" is checked (and make sure anything that you don't to be erased is unchecked) and click the "Clear Private Data Now" button. It's a little more convoluted, but it should have the same effect.

In Firefox, select "Clear Private Data..." from the "Tools" menu. This will allow you to delete and clear out all kinds of data that is being stored by Firefox, including cookies, saved passwords, and the browser cache. Make sure that "Cache" is checked (and make sure anything that you don't to be erased is unchecked) and click the "Clear Private Data Now" button. It's a little more convoluted, but it should have the same effect.

I'd already cleared the Cache. I don't really want to delete the saved passwords and forms, but I can't imagine that would have anything to do with it, would it?