Sign in to follow this  

America's Ten Most Miserable Cities

I kind of like Chicago. But then again, winter > summer in my book -- I'd just die living in Arizona or even central Florida.

(Ideally, though, I'd live in San Diego.)

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I wonder ow much weight sport teams have in their equation. The two CA cities both have Class A minor league baseball. Only Flint, MI on the list is another city without a major league team of some sort. Memphis only has an NBA team. All the other cities have at least 2 major league teams. I don't know if I would include the Detroit Lions as major league, but Detroit does have a variety of pro teams (MLB, NBA, NHL).

Wow. I didn't realize it was miserable here right now. Oh. Government corruption, I see. OTOH, it took the edge off the Lions last Fall. Excellent spectator sport (better for me; I'm good friends with Detroit's ombudsman at church(.

Only one southern city made the list of course. (No, Miami is not a southern city.) And my guess is no one would've thought twice about putting Memphis on there if Craig Brewer didn't have a career. :)

I'm shocked that Youngstown, Ohio didn't make the list. Let's see, there's 20% unemployment, an economy based on big SUVs that nobody makes anymore, no cultural scene at all, high cuisine featuring McDonald's and Taco Bell, and a large Mafia presence. Oh, and the six-month winter consists of little but sleet and grey clouds. Dante wrote about Youngstown in The Inferno. He just didn't know it at the time.

Chicago?

I've been in at least twenty countries and seen the best of the best and the worst of the worst. I've been to 43 states, I believe, and hung out in New York City (which is beyond words).

Chicago, Tallinn, Brisbane and Vancouver BC are the BEST cities on the planet earth. (I say this as a person who has not visited Asia, Africa, Central or South America.) (and of course Antarctica)

You can't judge a city by its governing officials or unpredictable sports teams -- rugby, Blagojevichisms or otherwise.

And for what it's worth, Sweden probably pays higher taxes than any city on the list, but Old Stockholm -- Gamla Stan -- is majestic. And nobody there is homeless or poor, and people don't shoot each other cuz no one has guns.

I'll have to give it a try someday.

I'm shocked that Youngstown, Ohio didn't make the list. Let's see, there's 20% unemployment, an economy based on big SUVs that nobody makes anymore, no cultural scene at all, high cuisine featuring McDonald's and Taco Bell, and a large Mafia presence. Oh, and the six-month winter consists of little but sleet and grey clouds. Dante wrote about Youngstown in The Inferno. He just didn't know it at the time.

More than once I've introduced myself to folks from eastern Ohio, only to have them recoil a bit. My response: "I'm not related to those Panellas." Yikes, Youngstown.