Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Eugene Peterson in Seattle -- May 16

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

To go straight to the page on IMAGE's website about this event, click here.

Image's Sixth Annual Denise Levertov Award with Eugene Peterson

Public Reading and Lecture

Saturday, May 16, 7:30 p.m.

University Presbyterian Church

Co-Sponsored by the Seattle Pacific University English Department, the SPU MFA in Creative Writing, and University Presbyterian Church

Join Image journal and acclaimed writer Eugene Peterson for the 2009 Denise Levertov Award lecture and reading, and a celebration of Image

Posted · Report post

I've been blessed to hear Peterson once at SPU a few years and found him very engaging and helpful.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've had the privilege of getting to know him over the last few years at several conferences and on the phone. He's an SPU alum, and he's in the Chrysostom Society, and he's served as minister at the Glen Workshop, so we just keep running into one another. He's a warm and gracious man with an unmatchable smile and a wicked sense of humor. Example: Another friend of mine has a series of albums called "Selah," and (if I recall the story correctly) when he talked to Peterson about the origins of the term, Peterson "schooled" him in its true meaning, explaining his rigorous research and struggle to resolve conflicts between ancient texts. Then he described discovering the answer, and revealed that the word is, in fact, an expletive. You should have seen the musician's reaction. Peterson let him suffer for a while before letting him off the hook. It was pretty funny.

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

I'm confused. Is Selah an expletive?

Posted (edited) · Report post

No. But he convinced my friend that it was just long enough to make him regret using it as a title for praise music.

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

Thanks for clarifying, Jeffrey. That is what I thought you meant.

Posted · Report post

I've had the privilege of getting to know him over the last few years at several conferences and on the phone. He's an SPU alum, and he's in the Chrysostom Society, and he's served as minister at the Glen Workshop, so we just keep running into one another. He's a warm and gracious man with an unmatchable smile and a wicked sense of humor. Example: Another friend of mine has a series of albums called "Selah," and (if I recall the story correctly) when he talked to Peterson about the origins of the term, Peterson "schooled" him in its true meaning, explaining his rigorous research and struggle to resolve conflicts between ancient texts. Then he described discovering the answer, and revealed that the word is, in fact, an expletive. You should have seen the musician's reaction. Peterson let him suffer for a while before letting him off the hook. It was pretty funny.

That's wonderful. And the world needs another expletive in the title of worship albums other than Wow! Zounds! would be another good one, and actually has a Christian connotation.

Posted · Report post

Andy Whitman wrote:

: Zounds! would be another good one, and actually has a Christian connotation.

As does Odsbodkins. Put the two together, and there's your Christmas and Easter, right there.