Sign in to follow this  
Greg Wolfe

A New Beginning for the Religion Forum

Hey folks:

After some reflection and consultation we've decided to bring back a forum for discussions of matters related to religious faith.

Many people insisted that this forum was valuable to them and it's true that this board is called ArtsandFaith.com.

Right now, rather than restoring the old forum -- which is still available, read-only, in the Archive -- we've decided to start afresh.

Please keep this in mind. There were people who felt intimidated by various postings in the old Religion forum -- along the lines of "my denomination is better than yours" statements.

While there is no way to avoid differences of opinion, and no way to gauge everyone's particular "intimidation factor," our hope is that people will express their convictions in constructive and gracious ways here.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Greg. Much appreciated.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

My denomination IS better than yours!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. What's yours, again?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

well that's just great! i don't even have a denomination... ::duel::

I don't deny that there should be priests to remind men that they will one day die. I only say it is necessary to have another kind of priests, called poets, to remind men that they are not dead yet. - G. K. Chesterton

Excellent news. I personally found a good number of the conversations in the "Religion" forum to be challenging, informative, and even instructional, and I look forward to even more in this new forum.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

What Jason (opus) said. Though I didn't participate as much as I would've liked, the Religion forum was always one of my favorite places on A&F. I'm especially curious to see if Archie comes back to continue the discussion on 'new atheism,' which was a fantastic (and wonderfully civil, mostly) thread.

I'm especially curious to see if Archie comes back to continue the discussion on 'new atheism,' which was a fantastic (and wonderfully civil, mostly) thread.

I hope so.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

YESSSSS!!!!! Praise the Lord. As many know, religion and politics are two of my few obsessions. Thank you Greg. Thank you. FWIW, I full well know that the Episcopal Church is decidedly NOT better than anything, let alone yours whoever you may be. Now Anglicanism....

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.