Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Every Day is Man Day

This would've gone in the "Humor" section of the board's earlier iteration. I post it here, in good humor.

The latest from Labash includes an interesting, umm, application of Ephesians:

It was a day, they declared, to eat a steak, to "blow something up, shoot some animal, punch your buddy in the face for no reason" and watch Rocky movies all day, never minding that a real man would never enjoy Rocky III. That scene with Rocky and Apollo Creed skipping around in the ocean, holding each other in their short-shorts after a particularly rigorous workout--that's about as manly as being a groupie at a John Mayer concert.

Their supporters, however, were not deterred. Testimonials poured in of a day well spent. Men boasted of not bathing, of scratching unholy areas, of showing a pressure washer who's boss, of firing automatic weapons, blowing up prairie dogs, eating large quantities of meat without utensils, and greeting friends "with firm handshakes, or rather, MANdshakes."

It made me feel sorry for them. It's not that I don't celebrate my own Man Day every day by tending to my desires, instead of to those of the women and children. Nor do I consider myself some paragon of manhood--though by today's effeminized-man standards, I might actually qualify: I can drive a stick shift, work a chainsaw, enjoy relieving myself outside, and would never think of getting a vasectomy. (It's not that I wouldn't do anything for my wife--I love her more than life itself. But I don't want to be unfair to my future trophy wife. What if she wants kids?) ...

My wife is a quasi-feminist, believing women should vote and drive and stuff. She's also a pretty fair Bible scholar, assuring me that I'm cynically wrenching a phrase out of context in un-Christian fashion, then twisting it into a rhetorical balloon animal to try to score cheap points when I'm getting crushed in an argument.

She's probably right. But that hardly matters. I just say, "Read Ephesians" and run like hell.

Edited by Christian

I've heard Mrs. Labash's argument before. "When you love like Jesus Christ, maybe I'll consider submission." I tell ya'. Once you teach 'em to read.... but seriously, I've been having some decidedly un-Protestant discussions with a friend or two at church. Is this what Rome meant in objecting to vernacular Bible translations back in the day?

Y'all don't want to go there :)

Edited by BethR

Um. What?! I didn't say nothin'.