The List So Far...

26 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Very rough tally of directors;

13 - Kieslowski (or 2)

5 - Tarkovsky

4 - Weir

3 - Bresson, Dreyer

2 - von Trier, Lynch, Anderson, Shyamalan, Kiarostami, Kieslowski (or 13)

Aren't we arty?

Pretty nice mix of popular faves and arthouse/foreign fare, I think. Includes most of The Titles You Have To Include, plus a bunch that are a bit off the beaten track. And I think we got a lot of the distinctive faves of this board: Stevie, LOTR, The Son, etc.

Looking good so far. (I'll mourn the loss of my own particular faves over on the Eliminated thread...)

Posted · Report post

Drops to knees a'la DaFoe in Platoon poster shot

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Last night, after reading Ron's director tally, I composed an outraged reply that read something like, "No Bergman? NO Bergman?? NO BERGMAN!!!! How can any list of great 'spiritual' films leave off Bergman? Not one that wants to be taken seriously."

But before submitting it, I remembered seeing "Wild Strawberries" somewhere on one of the lists. Was it just a nominee that didn't make the final list, I asked myself? I backtracked and checked the final list, where I discovered that "Wild Strawberries" did indeed make the cut. Although that film isn't my pick as Bergman's most spiritual film, I was relieved that he had at least made an appearance, and I figured Ron hadn't mentioned Bergman in his tally because Bergman only had one film on the list, and Ron was mentioning directors only with multiple titles on the list. I deleted my post.

But then I saw "The Seventh Seal" on the list -- that makes two Bergmans! -- and I felt ... oh, what's the word? ... betrayed by Ron's oversight in the post above. mad.gif

But it's not as though Ron's post is going to be part of the list publicity, so I'll get over it -- unless Bergman has a third title on the list that I didn't notice! smile.gif

Ron, you're doing a fine job.

Posted · Report post

Christian! I had no idea you were such a Bergmaniac.

Yes, the melancholy Swede deserves a place at the head table. I bet there are other two-or-more-film directors that could be added to that list, too.

I'm wondering how the list breaks down by year or decade? I know Alan was hoping to see some balance in that regard. To my perception it turned out pretty varied in that way, but it would be interesting to see it sorted that way.

Or by country.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Christian, this news from www.criterionco.com should put you in better spirits:

"A retrospective of the films of Ingmar Bergman and a newly restored 70mm print of Jacques Tati

Edited by Doug C

Posted · Report post

and at the Music Box in Chicago in late summer/fall.

Seeing Playtime in 70mm was one of the great moviegoing experiences of my life.

Yet another reason to not leave Chicago this July. Bummer.

Posted · Report post

Christian, this news from www.criterionco.com should put you in better spirits:

"A retrospective of the films of Ingmar Bergman and a newly restored 70mm print of Jacques Tati

I saw Playtime on video and it did nothing for me; I suspect it's one of those films that's mountains better on a screen as big as one.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

: Very rough tally of directors;

:

: 5 - Tarkovsky

I've seen films by all those listed directors except the the dude at no. one. I suck.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I saw Playtime on video and it did nothing for me; I suspect it's one of those films that's mountains better on a screen as big as one.

Extremely so, Dale. All those long shots and careful mis en sc

Edited by Doug C

Posted · Report post

A quick note to whoever in the jury is responsible for getting The Addiction on the final list:

It happened to be one of my favs that did not make it through round two, and I was quite pleased to see it on the final list. So a big thanks is in order for whoever you are (because, of course, your whole motivation was finding a way to please me!). biggrin.gif

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I should add that almost all of the titles in purple are great selections (I've seen most, but not all). So thanks to our juries.

The Addiction wasn't one of the titles my jury provided, but I'm very glad to see it there nonetheless. In fact, I think by and large the whole 100 list (with only a few notable exceptions) is quite solid and inspired. I'm very proud to be associated with it.

Thanks again Ron!

Now about those 'Peculiar Treasures' or whatever they're called...

Edited by Doug C

Posted · Report post

And I'm thrilled to see Werckmeister Harmonies on there, a film about which I've heard so much, and yet I still haven't figured out the how/when/where of getting to see it.

Ron, you've accomplished a Herculean feat of calculation and management. Bravo!

Posted · Report post

Ah yes, and now since I have been reminded, let me broaden my earlier comment on The Addiction to include the list as a whole (at least those I have seen) and suggest that it looks to be a varied and interesting list. I think it also could be a list that works as an intro for a number of people who are less familiar with these films in general, giving them an opportunity to engage some truly quality filmmaking. Thanks especially to Ron for his organization through this, and to those others with more significant roles at certain points in the process. Gold stars for everbody!

Posted · Report post

Hey, thanks for the general kudos. Quite honestly, my motivations were nothing but selfish - I get a huge kick out of all this stuff. You were all just grist for my list-making mill!

As far as THE ADDICTION is concerned, that comes from our jury as well. (I'll take the heat for STAR WARS, might as well take the glory for this one! wink.gif )

It's one that Jeffrey and I wanted to give serious consideration to, but as much as I'd wanted to for a couple years now, I hadn't seen it, so I watched it Monday. Wow. Really made an impact on me, and definitely prime material for this list. Wrote the first draft of a response: maybe I'll post it on the main board later, time permitting.

Posted · Report post

Werckmeister would deserve a place on this list for its opening scene, shot in one take, alone.

Posted · Report post

Oh my gosh. I love you purple people. In the third round, I got more films I passionately care about on the list -- La Promesse! Vanya! Yi Yi! a Stillman (if the wrong one)! -- than in the entire massive second round. This so makes up for my 28 percent. I am going to cry.

But it is probably from seeing Ross and Rachel get back together.

Dale

um Dale, spoilers? please?

some of us won't get that for another year or two

Matt

Edited by MattPage

Posted · Report post

Really good list! Selections to make some people happy that they already know & love these films, and selections to make some people argue, and selections to make some run out and search for films they haven't yet seen--what more could anyone want?

Well--am I right that there'll be a chance to revise it next year? Or wait--there was something about "Peculiar Treasures"? Because Places in the Heart still isn't on this list! sad.gif

But other than that, I'm delighted!

Posted · Report post

: um Dale, spoilers? please?

Are you saying you would like spoilers, or that I have now spoiled the show for you?

Regardless, I have turned myself in to Alan for this violation.

Dale

Posted · Report post

Indeed Prins, you got your Yi-Yi and your La Promesse. I hope you are happy!

I certainly am.

Posted · Report post

...In the third round, I got more films I passionately care about on the list  ...than in the entire massive second round. 

That was the hope, with these here juries. Guess they worked!

La PromesseVanyaYi Yi!  a Stillman (if the wrong one)! --

MDP, we are of one mind. (Which does give me pause...) I recently decided VANYA is my #2 Fave Of All Time. When I realized LA PROMESSE is by the SON brothers, I slammed that into my video queue toot sweet. I was going to make my own post doffing the cap to Leary and Cummings for YI-YI, had you not beaten me to the draw - how I love that one! And not only do I agree that Whit had to be on my jury's list, DISCO was my third choice (of three) - but I let Jeffrey carry the day on that one. I'd put METROPOLITAN higher, with BARCELONA only slightly behind, but with another viewing might easily swap those: in either case, DISCO would be bringing up the rear.

This so makes up for my 28 percent.  I am going to cry. 

I love making people cry.

Posted · Report post

Well--am I right that there'll be a chance to revise it next year?

I'd be just tickled to see this become an annual thing, though I can't speak for my availability to wrangle it a year hence. But I'd love to see how the list evolves over the years. Which films (like ETERNAL SUNSHINE) drop off the list immedately because they never deserved to be there in the first place apart from having the word "eternal" in the title, and which ones are perennial choices.

Or wait--there was something about "Peculiar Treasures"?  Because Places in the Heart still isn't on this list!  sad.gif

Alan and I haven't even talked about how or where to institue the Peculiar Treasure trove. I'll take it up with him just as soon as he's done with his current task of launching the new A&E 100 dealie-o.

Posted · Report post

As far as THE ADDICTION is concerned... Wrote the first draft of a response: maybe I'll post it on the main board later, time permitting.

Posted that, now, over here. Alan, should we move some of the film-specific Hot 100 threads (like the one on THE ADDICTION) over to the main board?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0