Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee -- Noël

M. Dale Prins

I really think <a href="http://www.emmanuelshall.com/" target="_blank">this</a> will be my favorite album of 2009. Or at least not my least-favorite.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

I'm very happy with how the cover turned out. Very.

I'll post occasional updates here on the album (while trying not to overwhelm y'all), but those looking for more information can follow us on, yawn, Facebook and Twitter.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

• 1 month later...
Have to be honest; I appreciate what you did with the tune there but I'm not sure I like it.

Do they not teach you how to discern quality music up in Canada????!?!?! Do they not?!?!?!?!?!?

Ahem. Anyway, reactions to the arrangements and mixes have been pretty bipolar -- some people love them, some hate them, but not many seem to think that they're, oh, a three on a five-point Likert scale. I'd like to say that "OC,AYF" is one of the more divisive songs on the album, and I suppose the word "more" does make that statement true, but I suspect it's neither the most divisive song nor that much divisiver than the median song's divisiveness.

What I am saying is preorder 10 copies today.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

What I am saying is that my wife has authorized me to preorder one, anyway, because I made amends with the beauteous Holly and the Ivy arrangement you posted to Twitter.

"THatI" is probably somewhat more indicative of the album as a whole than "OC,AYF," so you are making a prudent financial decision. (For those interested, an MP3 of "THatI" is here.)

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Okay. Four songs now up on our website. Four or so more next week after I'm done mixing the other half of the album.

Dale

What I am saying is that it sounds like Danielson doing Christmas.

An influence, perhaps?

And why should we shell out $8.99 when we can see the original Christmas tree for free

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

What I am saying is that it sounds like Danielson doing Christmas.

An influence, perhaps?

Um, yeah, it's a little more hidden, but I suppose Danielson is an influence, although more in song structure and use of bells/glock than, y'know piercing male falsetto vocals. It's also, for better or worse, not nearly as loose as the Danielson albums are. Sufjan's influence is probably more apparent, as is the influence of Philip Glass and the (especially on some other cuts) Robert Reich (who, in turn, influenced Sufjan).

Dale

I love Dale. And I love Danielson. And I love bells. And I love trees. And I love harassing Dale because it's what I do best. He taught me the word "snarky."

What I am trying to say is that I will always admire him for that.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I have greatly enjoyed both the "OC, AYF" and "THatI"; the latter I found especially beautiful. It caught me completely by surprise.

I have some listener feedback about the first song, which sounds better to me on computer speakers than headphones. I am wondering why, in the climactic horn interlude of the first song, the majority of the horns sound muffled and distant in the mix. I get a different sensation here than from Sufjan's horn interludes, in which most of the horns sound relatively crisp. Not saying that it's necessarily better either way... it's just easier to appreciate the complexity of the arrangements with the latter. Also, the 'lead' ascending horn hit some tinny frequencies when I was wearing my headphones.

I don't even listen to Philip Glass, and I hear Philip Glass here. :)

Edited by KShaw

Everything that matters is invisible.

-- Robert Bresson

I have greatly enjoyed both the "OC, AYF" and "THatI"; the latter I found especially beautiful. It caught me completely by surprise.

Good! That's actually the intended goal of that piece -- to lull you in sort of rhythm and then break it with the piano triplets and harp 16ths.

I have some listener feedback about the first song, which sounds better to me on computer speakers than headphones. I am wondering why, in the climactic horn interlude of the first song, the majority of the horns sound muffled and distant in the mix. I get a different sensation here than from Sufjan's horn interludes, in which most of the horns sound relatively crisp....Also, the 'lead' ascending horn hit some tinny frequencies when I was wearing my headphones.

I was listening to that this morning after you made that comment, and I think the problem for both is simply that the moving trombone is too far down in the mix and the lead trumpet too far up to give the idea of multiple parts working against each other. So I've raised up the trombone part and lowered the trumpet part, and I think the new results work better. It'll never be as "crisp" as Sufjan, though, simply because there's somewhat more reverb on the album as a whole than what you'll find on, say, Illinois. (I also raised the pedal note at the end, which was getting buried.)

Anyway, the new version is on the playlist, but don't expect something drastically different if you are a Canadian pastor who didn't like the song the first time.

And anyone else with constructive criticism: I still have exactly one week to play with these mixes, so comments about specific issues are certainly welcome.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Good heavens. I didn't know anybody could improve "O Come All Ye Faithful." But you have. Just as Sam Phillips found more mystery in the melody of "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear," you're finding it in these songs. I know what I'll be playing through the holidays this year.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Sufjan's influence is probably more apparent, as is the influence of Philip Glass and the (especially on some other cuts) Robert Reich (who, in turn, influenced Sufjan).

I must admit I'm curious to hear how the influence of a prominent economist and former Labor Secretary might manifest itself upon a Christmas album.

I don't suppose you'd be interested in trading for a copy of my Celtic CD, with shades of Dowland, Hindemith, and Penderecki?

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

I must admit I'm curious to hear how the influence of a prominent economist and former Labor Secretary might manifest itself upon a Christmas album.

[Aghast at his stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid mistake, Dale drives off a bridge to a bloody death, as the album remains unfinished and these four cuts alone remain his no forget this aside ahhhhh just how in the world could I confuse Robert Reich with Steve Reich ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh]

I don't suppose you'd be interested in trading for a copy of my Celtic CD, with shades of Dowland, Hindemith, and Penderecki?

Deal. PM your address to my estate.

Dale

Anyway, the new version is on the playlist, but don't expect something drastically different if you are a Canadian pastor who didn't like the song the first time.

And anyone else with constructive criticism: I still have exactly one week to play with these mixes, so comments about specific issues are certainly welcome.

Dale

I still love you, even if I didn't 'like' the song the first time. As I said, I got it, I'll be getting the disk, you can't hardly expect me to be quiet about my opinions! I'm not some quiet, unassuming, polite Canuck! Not me! No! I am bold, and brash, and the Best Canadian Ever.

Or not.

Whatever.

(I liked it a bit better the second time through.)

-Alex

Adding my own voice of admiration for this album. Really love the songs listed so far on the website. I especially liked the contrapuntal approach you took on Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent. Absolutely beautiful, and it really worked wonderfully, given the challenges of each line. As a thought, however, I only knew two of the three lines from memory, couldn't place the third. Was curious what it was.

Looking forward to getting this.

Edited by Joel C

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Just as Sam Phillips found more mystery in the melody of "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear," you're finding it in these songs.

I'm very happy to hear that, as that's one of the few songs I really tried to keep in mind as kind of a reference point to what I was doing -- in how Sam just switching the chords from major to minor deepened the original lyrics without having to rewrite a word.

I especially liked the contrapuntal approach you took on Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent. Absolutely beautiful, and it really worked wonderfully, given the challenges of each line. As a thought, however, I only knew two of the three lines from memory, couldn't place the third. Was curious what it was.

Really? I'm very surprised you were not able to identify the famous, famous carol "I Need to Write a Countermelody to Somehow Connect These Two Christmas Hymns So Hey Let's See If This Works."

Dale

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the album is done being mixed and such, I'm able to put three more sample tracks up at emmanuelshall.com: "'Twas in the Moon of Wintertime," "What Child is This?," and my personal favorite cut from the album (which is why it's no. 19 of 19), "Benedictus Agnus Dei (Hundredfold)." Listen, or not. Or do.

Dale

The beginning of Twas in the Moon of Wintertime evokes, among other things, Right Now by Van Halen. Which is to say that I love it. Did I mention the time Kelly and I sang an interweaved version of Twas in the Moon with God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen? Fun times... Was there a little squeaky feedback toward the end of that tune or is it just my crappy speakers?

Love the Benedictus Agnus Dei. Very Sufjan of you. (Some time I'll have to scrape together some spare change and commission you to write a piece for me, Dale...)

Edited by metalfoot

Was there a little squeaky feedback toward the end of that tune or is it just my crappy speakers?

The feedbacky sounds are intentional -- it's actually a bowed vibraphone.

Dale

• 3 weeks later...

Friday's the last day for $9.99 preorders, for those so inclined. Per-CD price goes up after that to $429.99.

And for those who review CDs for whatever size outlet and would like a review copy (when I have them in hand next week), I am happy to send one with no expectation that a review will ever be published. (I realize y'all don't write criticism of every CD you hear, nor necessarily should you.)

Dale