Things That I Now Know Exist

So I decided to do this summer job thing and here is what I have learned about:

Great Comfort Records, a new record label solely for faith-based/worship music started by Lenny and Daniel Smith;

Bifrost Arts, an interesting non-profit organization who have made a couple of beautiful albums of songs for congregational singing, featuring indie rock stars of today;

1960, the new Soul-Junk album, which is their most "normal" record to date and is based entirely on Psalm 119;

Arena Rock Records has reissued a recording by Sonseed ("Jesus is My Friend" video);

This guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yur2PszQ26Isounds like if Antony Hegarty was always singing directly about God; (I don't have this guy's record yet but it sounds so beautiful!)

David Bazan's new record is very sad and pretty and probably better than anything he's done in 10 years, and certainly more about God than anything he's done (we already have a thread on this);

Our own (sorta) Todd Fadel is doing exciting things with a thing called Love is Concrete, which I like a lot but don't totally understand yet, even after interviewing him;

Judee Sill's posthumous star continues to rise, and now she has a tribute album which has some wonderful recordings on it(not "The Kiss" though, they ruined that!)

That's what I've been up to.

Those are a lot of things!

Thanks Joel, some great finds there. You seem to have landed a great job there. Please keep us up to date with what you find, those links were amazing.

Out of interest you say Bifrost Arts have made a couple of albums but there is only news of one on the way, do you know something we don't? Any info would be appreciated, like what I hear on myspace.

If the world was my oyster I would never taste anything!!!

Todd Fadel (AgentsOfFuture) is the common denominator here, and has his hand in most of the projects to which Joel links, so maybe he can provide some details. Except I think he's heading off to Greenbelt to play with Aaron Strumpel, and probably won't be checking back here for a bit. But chillinrev (or any of y'all across the pond), definitely look for Todd and co. at Greenbelt. He's a great guy.

And I'll vouch for the strangeness and wonderfulness of that Soul Junk album. It's Psalm 119 (the big one, the mother of all psalms) set to music; all gazillion verses spread out over an hour or so of skronking indie rock with cellos. It will probably sell two or three million copies, don't you think?

A couple additions:

It's not actually "a job," I just decided to concentrate on writing about this kind of stuff to try to make a little money this summer. Most of the articles are coming out in September or later.

Re Bifrost, Come O Spirit is out in September, and then a Christmas-themed album, Salvation is Created, is out in November. I've only listened a few times, but I'd say the latter is more symphonic/"classical"-sounding in its arrangements. Very pretty.

Re Todd, I didn't realize when I started just how many pies he has his fingers in - it's pretty amazing. I wish I had that kind of energy. I believe he's performing with Agents of Future at Greenbelt as well.

• 1 month later...

Re Bifrost, Come O Spirit is out in September, and then a Christmas-themed album, Salvation is Created, is out in November. I've only listened a few times, but I'd say the latter is more symphonic/"classical"-sounding in its arrangements. Very pretty.

I see Come O Spirit is out (and on eMusic for those that are interested). Worth acquiring?

Ryan

I see Come O Spirit is out (and on eMusic for those that are interested). Worth acquiring?

Ryan

Check out their MySpace. Sounds like it to me. I'm really thankful I was led to this music just now. Amazing, beautiful stuff.

I've had Come O Spirit for about a month now and its well worth it. I've really enjoyed it. Great arrangements of some lesser-known hymns (well, lesser known to me.)

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

I've had Come O Spirit for about a month now and its well worth it. I've really enjoyed it. Great arrangements of some lesser-known hymns (well, lesser known to me.)

Def. worth a listen. I actually like their Christmas record better (it's out next month), but this one is really nice.