Let Me In

Overstreet

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link to the thread on Let the Right One in.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

This is frickin' disgusting. Is there nothing sacred anymore?

UGH UGH UGH UGH UGBH

I am pounding very hard on the keyboard.

I want to scream! UUUUUGHGHGHGHGHGH !!!!!

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Yeah, in retrospect, this was one of the most nuanced films I have seen in a while. Can't imagine someone else getting the tone right. Maybe Abigail Breslin could pull it off.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

And they couldn't have waited until the dust settled a little bit before making an American remake?

Seriously?

This is sick.

I look forward to hearing the Swedes complain about the lousy subtitling when this comes out on DVD over there.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I intend to do my best to avoid this. I have a hard time believing a film from the director of CLOVERFIELD will manage to find the appropriate balance of poetry and elegance in this reimagining of a mostly terrific film.

I have a hard time believing the director of Brain Dead will manage to find the appropriate balance of poetry and elegance in the reimagining of The Lord of the Rings....oh wait....he already did....(I know, I'm being a jackass.)

I'll wait to render judgement once I've actually seen the film.

"The greatest meat of all. The meat of friendship and fatherhood."

The Blue Raft - Are you ready to ride?

I look forward to hearing the Swedes complain about the lousy subtitling when this comes out on DVD over there.

Heh.

I like the film, but I confess not so much that I consider it a crime to remake it.

I have a hard time believing the director of Brain Dead will manage to find the appropriate balance of poetry and elegance in the reimagining of The Lord of the Rings....oh wait....he already did....(I know, I'm being a jackass.)

I'll wait to render judgement once I've actually seen the film.

That was a fluke.

As was the Ring, which was better than Ringu.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Nezpop wrote:

: I like the film, but I confess not so much that I consider it a crime to remake it.

And it's based on a book, too, so it might not be a remake of the film so much as an alternative interpretation of the text.

: That was a fluke.

Plus, Jackson didn't go straight from Brain Dead to The Lord of the Rings. He proved he could handle serious dramatic stuff (albeit serious dramatic stuff with some bizarre fantastical elements) by making Heavenly Creatures (which got Jackson etc. an Oscar nomination for Best Screenplay). I think the bigger leap, when it comes to Jackson's Lord of the Rings, was not between trashy genre and elevated genre, but between low-budget art-house films and big-budget blockbuster epic (and not just one epic, but THREE epics filmed simultaneously!!).

They all speak English. It won't be an issue. :)

• 6 months later...

I will not see this remake-- at least not until I have the chance to catch the real, original version of the movie on DVD, with the correct, theatrical subtitles (I know, I'm far behind-- it happens when one has no credit card, and thus, no Netflix account....).

Edited by Christopher Lake

People, if we all ban together and stop bumping this thread, maybe the whole sick idea will just go away.

Besides, every time I see it you are making my BP go up. So cut it out.

Edited by Persona

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures

I'm struck by the fact that the middle photo looks like a more-or-less exact duplicate of a similar shot in Let the Right One In. I'm not sure if that bodes well or ill.

Edited by NBooth

Pictures

I'm struck by the fact that the middle photo looks like a more-or-less exact duplicate of a similar shot in Let the Right One In. I'm not sure if that bodes well or ill.

I know I have no authority, but please read this while I throwup...

I try not to complain in every thread about remakes that are bad ideas. (Which is 98% of all remakes.) But I need tape on my mouth and handcuffs on my hands when it comes to this one. I say again: Ugh.