Coraline

District

Earth

Lorna's Silence

Moon

Munyurangabo

Ponyo

Star Trek

Looks like I need to track down Passing Strange. I am also happy to see The Informant on your list. I really, really like that film and wish I had more time to see it again pre-list.

I just posted Reel Inspiration's MOST INSPIRING FILMS of 2009 list.

1. Up in the Air

2. Paris

3. Invictus

4. Departures

5. Precious

6. Tulpan

7. Rachel Getting Married

8. Sugar

9. Moon

10. The Messenger

11. Wendy and Lucy

For descriptions of these inspiring films or to vote for your favorite inspiring films, go to:

www.reelinspiration.blogspot.com

Movie blessings!

Jana Segal

Dennis Cozzalio has a great wrap-up of 2009. It starts with an offensive dud -- Observe and Report -- but is otherwise exciting, full of passion. I love it!

Edited by Christian

I contributed one of several lists to Crosswalk, the editors of which culled these titles for its Best of 2009.

Edited by Christian

Christianity Today's Top 10 Most Redeeming Films of 2009

First time in the CT Movies history that I haven't been involved, so I'm interested to see how this compares to the Cream of the Crop list.

I suspect they'll get some comments about District F-Bomb being on the Redeeming list, although I'm fine seeing it there.

Very sad to see that Seraphine, Munyurangabo, Summer Hours, and The Class are all absent from the list, including the "Ones That Got Away".

Edited by Overstreet

Overstreet wrote:

: First time in the CT Movies history that I haven't been involved, so I'm interested to see how this compares to the Cream of the Crop list.

It's the first time NEITHER of us have been involved, so yeah, it'll be interesting. The odds of a movie like Dear Frankie being named best of the year have taken a steep, steep dive. :)

I find it sad that after a decade of serious Evangelical re-evaluation of church/state issues that a film like Hurt Locker makes it on a Christianity Today "most redeeming films" list and Munyurangabo doesn't. That is just baffling. (And by "baffling", someone towards the Hauerwas end of the scale would mean "immoral.")

Edited by MLeary

MLeary wrote:

: I find it sad that after a decade of serious Evangelical re-evaluation of church/state issues that a film like Hurt Locker makes it on a Christianity Today "most redeeming films" list and Munyurangabo doesn't. That is just baffling.

Well, I would never want to presume that Jeff and I could have made the difference there if we had stayed on... but who knows.

FWIW, I also find it interesting that at least four of the ten movies are based on true stories, and in at least one case (i.e. Julie & Julia), the film is being praised more-or-less for the fantasy it projects rather than the actual reality underlying it. (Exactly how happy was/is Julie's marriage, again?)

The Maid would have been brilliant on that list.

Wow.

Inglourious Basterds made the Top 10 list at Christianity Today Movies - that is, their "Cream of the Crop" list, not their "Most Redeeming Films" list.

The list was posted today. #1? The Hurt Locker.

Expect the furious condemnation of CT readers to begin as soon as the shock wears off. I hope Mark and the gang are wearing bulletproof vests this week.

Edited by Overstreet

The CT list was finalized a month ago or more, and I'm STILL flabbergasted that Basterds made the cut. I'm not a fan of it or Up in the Air, but I think it's a fine list nevertheless.

And Jeffrey, I'm just now seeing your comments about our Most Redeeming list. Fwiw, I voted for both Summer Hours AND The Class, for both top ten lists-- but apparently, I was alone. :)

And Jeffrey, I'm just now seeing your comments about our Most Redeeming list. Fwiw, I voted for both Summer Hours AND The Class, for both top ten lists-- but apparently, I was alone. :)

No. You weren't.

So reworking these lists for myself a year or so later helps mostly because I realize I've still really only seen half of what I ought to have seen.

1 - Inglourious Basterds

2 - The Last Station

3 - The Hurt Locker

4 - Up

5 - The Secret of Kells

6 - Sherlock Holmes

7 - Get Low

8 - The Lovely Bones

9 - Hadewijch

10 - Bright Star

11 - Moon

12 - An Education

13 - A Serious Man

14 - Tetro

15 - Crazy Heart

16 - The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

17 - Watchmen

18 - Public Enemies

19 - The Brothers Bloom

20 - (500) Days of Summer

21 - Star Trek

22 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

23 - Sunshine Cleaning

24 - The Soloist

25 - Invictus

26 - Funny People

27 - Nowhere Boy

28 - Ondine

29 - Lourdes

30 - In the Loop

Still To See List (21 Films): The 13th Day, A Town Called Panic, Antichrist, Beeswax, Canary, Dogtooth, Forbidden Fruit, I Am Love, Limits of Control, The Maid, The Messenger, Passing Strangers, Police Adjective, The Secret In Their Eyes, Sin Nombre, Thirst, Vincere, White Material, The White Ribbon, Wild Grass, and The Young Victoria

Edited by Persiflage