Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Prosperity Gospel

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

So the second video in the Global Conversation series is on the Prosperity Gospel. We are going to be releasing the full documentary short within a week or so, but I thought I would post this clip. This doc, while not technically my best work, is some of my favorite stuff I've worked on.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great clip, Nathan. This brings back a lot of memories for me. Even in the US, in black pentecostal traditions, this is known as "raising an offering". I've endured a few hundred of these, over the past 20 years. One of the most memorable was in Liberty City at a Pastor's Appreciation service about 15 years ago, where the overworked, A/C wall unit was cut off as well as the ceiling fans, in room that was SRO... until the Lord's money was raised. It was something like $100 to turn each fan back on, $500 to put the A/C back on, etc... God's people endured that sh*t with laughs and shouts of hallelujah. Many appeared to me at the point of heat stroke. I could never understand it.

Edited by Greg P

Posted · Report post

Greg - that is a pretty amazing story, and a bold move.

I chose the most insidious clip for this preview - in fact the rest of the piece is much more nuanced and subtle (or at least in my opinion it is.)

Posted · Report post

The most angering thing about this theology is that it preys almost exclusively on the poorest of the poor. I look forward to seeing the full version!

Posted · Report post

The full piece (about 9 minutes long) is now live -