A&F Poll Top 10 Films of the Decade

Critical reaction be damned. LAGAAN sucks.

I don't ever remember reading a review on Lagaan and I loved it.

I live in an area with many Indian people and Indian food all over the place, could that be the difference?

Looks like I saw it on 7/9/03 and never made a thread. Could've sworn I wrote a review. Eeh, these things tend to disappear over the years. The writing was probably terrible back then anyway.

PS Nick, pretty sure I fell asleep on 2046 as well.

PPS Aaaah, according to This Site, I wrote a review for Chiaroscuro, some time before Feb '02. I guess that actually means I've seen Lagaan at least twice. Chiaroscuro is now dead as Doug has moved on to Film Journey.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the deadline approaches I will bump this three times. You are hereby forewarned.

BUMP #1. You have one month and nine days left.

I am glad to see many holding off to get in as many aughts viewings as they can before a final decision. I am also glad to see that many of you are very secure in your Tops.

I'm not so secure. I've been convinced to see a few more films before putting together a final list, as my recent viewing of The Son has me reflecting more and more on what kinds of importance I should be ranking my decisions. I am holding out to see Lorna's Silence in early January, and The Lives of Others to make sure I'm not the one who is absolutely insane.

Votes in to date:

J. Henry Waugh

John

M. Dale Prins (tentative)

Nick Alexander

Ryan H.

Tyler1984

I would love to hear from any or all of the following! -

Votes not in to date:

Thom (Asher) and Diane, both of whom have been central to this forum even though life permits them from posting as much as of late.

Acquarello

Agentsoffuture

Amanda Caldwell

Anders

anglicanbeachparty

Annelise

Aralyn

Baal T'Shuvah

Backrow Baptist

Baxter

BBBCanada

Benchwarmer

Bethany

Beth R

Bowen

Buckeye Jones

Chad B

Chashab

Chillinrev

Chris

Christian

Clint M

CrimsonLine

Crow

Cunningham

Dan Olson

DanBuck (is this guy dead or did he simply vanish into the online netherworld.)

Darrel Manson

Darryl A. Armstrong

David

David Smedberg

Denny Wayman

Doug C (we can always hope!)

du Garbandier

e2c

Foolish Knight

gigi

Gina

Goneganesh

Greg P

Greg Wright

Holy Moly!

Husker4theSpurs

J.R.

Jacques

Jason Bortz

Jason Panella

Jeff

Jeffrey Overstreet

Jim Janknegt

Joel C

KShaw

LibrarianDeb

MattP (I love your "About Me")

mdsteves (I took him to a film he hated and he fell right off the A&F planet!)

metalfoot

Michael Todd

MLeary

Morgan1098

mrmando

N.K.Carter

Nathaniel

NBooth

Nezpop

Opus

Overstreet (official title)

Persiflage

Persona (myself)

Peter Chattaway

Phill Lytle

Rich Kennedy

rjkolb

Ron Reed

Sara Zarr

SDG

Spoon

Stephen Lamb

SZPT

TBeane

tctruffin

techne

Teek

tenpenny

teresakayep

Tim Willson

Titus

Tony Watkins

Wiederspahn

Winston

WriterJon

yank_eh

and anyone out there I may have forgotten, especially all those with votes for Lagaan. LOL :)

And I do believe Matt Page's vote is sarcastic, and while the rules don't explicitly state that we won't accept sarcastic votes, I do want some kind of thought put into the voting process, so NEW RULE: No sarcastic votes. (That is not to say that you didn't put thought into your list, Matt, as it was hilarious, and you obviously did. But I want to scrape your beautiful mind.)

Admins and mods!

You are more than welcome to vote! Please do! We love you people! I don't know all of the IMAGE staff yet, I apologize if I left anyone off the list --

Anna J., Christy E., Greg Wolfe...

and Josh Hurst, or do you only listen to music? :)

Thank you FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION!

Edited by Persona

This list may be revised before the deadline...

The New World - 22

Code Unknown - 22

Yi-Yi - 21

The Son - 5

Gosford Park - 5

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 5

Punch-drunk Love -5

There Will Be Blood - 5

Finding Nemo - 5

Spirited Away - 5

OR... if Au hasard Balthazar is really eligible, then THIS is my list:

Au Hasard Balthazar - 15

The New World - 20

Code Unknown - 20

Yi-Yi - 15

The Son - 5

Gosford Park - 5

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 5

Punch-drunk Love -5

There Will Be Blood - 5

Finding Nemo - 5

It hurts to exclude Almost Famous, Amelie, Born Into Brothels, Children of Men, The Class, Dogville, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Flight of the Red Balloon, Flowers of Shanghai, Hero, The Incredibles, Into Great Silence, Lost in Translation, Millions, Moulin Rouge, Munyurangabo, The Pianist, Ratatouille, The Return, The Royal Tenenbaums, Seraphine, Shotgun Stories, The Station Agent, Stevie, Waking Life, and WALL•E.)

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Wow. DanBuck lives. I don't need anything else for Christmas, seriously.

I forgot to call out Andy Whitman. I know he only listens to music, but with his number of posts I figure he should at least be invited personally.

I am convinced that if I want to be inclusive I shouldn't say things here like, "Gee, Jeffrey, why not just give 30 points to Gabbeh? I mean, it is up there with The New World if you just add a few poetic carpets..." But no, I won't say anything like that. This is the new improved Persona. I am all inclusive. YOU PEOPLE are the rock stars.

Go team.

Ok, I'm in after I watch a few more of these over Christmas vacation, but you should know right now that I'm giving a full 30 points to LAGAAN!!!

Just joking. Maybe.

Oh man, you RULE! Biggest LOL in a while. You should get some type of Major Award.

major_award_4.jpg

I am convinced that if I want to be inclusive I shouldn't say things here like, "Gee, Jeffrey, why not just give 30 points to Gabbeh? I mean, it is up there with The New World if you just add a few poetic carpets..." But no, I won't say anything like that.

Or The Long Day Closes. Long, lingering shots of flooring in that one too. Mmmmm.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I am convinced that if I want to be inclusive I shouldn't say things here like, "Gee, Jeffrey, why not just give 30 points to Gabbeh? I mean, it is up there with The New World if you just add a few poetic carpets..." But no, I won't say anything like that.

Or The Long Day Closes. Long, lingering shots of flooring in that one too. Mmmmm.

Jeffrey, you RULE. Some people don't like it when I harass. It's a defect I simply can't rid myself of, much as I pray to God to take it away and become a so much more inclusive Film Snob.

You've always done well with that. Maybe it's because we've met on several occasions, and you think you can beat me up. I'm not sure.

Anyway, nice list, thanks for your tentative consideration.

And thanks, Josh! Good to see your votes.

Edited by Persona

Spring,Summer, Fall, Winter . . . and Spring 17

Pan's Labyrinth 15

13 Conversations About One Thing 13

Born into Brothels 11

Brothers (Bier) 11

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 10

Letters from Iwo Jima 8

Bus 174 5

Sideways 5

Control Room 5

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I'm quite convinced that I can't beat you up, Stef. But when it comes to stamina... well, I stayed wide awake through 21 Days Later. But I distinctly remember that the film proved too long, slow, and contemplative to keep you from nodding off. And if *that* film's just too introspective for you, well, I won't try to persuade you of Malick's mastery. ::box2::

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Spring,Summer, Fall, Winter . . . and Spring 17

Pan's Labyrinth 15

13 Conversations About One Thing 13

Born into Brothels 11

Brothers (Bier) 11

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 10

Letters from Iwo Jima 8

Bus 174 5

Sideways 5

Control Room 5

I still love Bus 174. Makes me wonder whether we should've also had a Tops Docs list.

I'm quite convinced that I can't beat you up, Stef. But when it comes to stamina... well, I stayed wide awake through 21 Days Later. But I distinctly remember that the film proved too long, slow, and contemplative to keep you from nodding off. And if *that* film's just too introspective for you, well, I won't try to persuade you of Malick's mastery. ::box2::

Heh, it was 28. You were seven days too short to out-introspect me.

Have I mentioned the nightmares I had -- in the middle of that film? I suppose I have...

and Josh Hurst, or do you only listen to music? :)

No, he doesn't. I can't speak for his choices, but am reminded that he gave a four-star review to The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, a film I left off my earlier, rushed list but which WILL find a place on my finalized list. Of all the Arriaga dramas, it's easily my favorite -- and I'm an Arriaga fan, not a hater.

Which reminds me: I still need to see The Burning Plain. I've heard not good things about it, but I need to see it.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Christian, Three Burials was a contender for my list. In the end it just felt weird to include both it and No Country for Old Men, which are very similar, aesthetically, in my own mind (if only because of Tommy Lee Jones and the western setting), and the latter is just a slightly better film, in my opinion.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

DISCLAIMERS, some of which have already been used by others: 1) this is a quick list and could change dramatically after I give the matter some more thought; 2) I'm a movie fan but not a professional critic and therefore haven't seen near as many films from the aughties as some of you; 3) these are my "favorite" movies but not necessarily the ones I feel are the most artistically significant; 4) I wouldn't have even bothered to vote in this if I hadn't received the nice request from Persona... thanks!

1. Children of Men (15)

2. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring (I'd like to include all three films as one entry but I'm sure that's against the rules) (15)

3. Into the Wild (10)

4. The Dark Knight (10)

5. Zodiac (10)

6. Ostrov (10)

7. Into Great Silence (10)

8. God Grew Tired of Us (10)

9. District 9 (yeah, I know, I can hear the howls of protest now) (5)

10. Moulin Rouge (5)

I could easily do an ALL DOCUMENTARY list.

But for now... Here's what I've got:

The Lives of Others - 10

Lars and the Real Girl - 10

Gosford Park - 15

In America - 10

Before Sunset - 7

My Kid Could Paint That - 15

Finding Nemo - 7

Royal Tennenbaums - 6

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 10

Spirited Away - 10

And 20 auxillary point to Jeepers Creepers of course!

Edited by DanBuck
And 20 auxillary point to Jeepers Creepers of course!

LOL :)

The New World - 30

Code Unknown - 30

Yi-Yi - 30

The Son - 10

Bzzt. You must have exactly ten films on your list.

Dale, parliamentarian

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

And I do believe Matt Page's vote is sarcastic, and while the rules don't explicitly state that we won't accept sarcastic votes, I do want some kind of thought put into the voting process, so NEW RULE: No sarcastic votes. (That is not to say that you didn't put thought into your list, Matt, as it was hilarious, and you obviously did. But I want to scrape your beautiful mind.)
Yes, I'd be gutted if you did include that list and I was thereby unable to vote properly. Although I just finished writing my top 10 of the decade article I also wan to include an indie film and I'm not sure what to drop. And I have to work out the points. Will be with you shortly...

Matt

Punch-drunk Love - 15

Finding Nemo - 14

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -13

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 13

Wonder Boys - 5

Stevie - 13

The Piano Teacher - 5

Donnie Darko - 12

Let the Right One In - 5

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - 5

This may change before the deadline...

Edit: Already changed once!

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

In case I don't get to this before the deadline here are my top ten films. I'll try and add points before the deadline, but if I don't please just give each 10 points.

Atonement

Dogville

Donnie Darko

The Incredibles

Italian for Beginners

Le Fils

O Brother Where Art Thou

Punch Drunk Love

The Real Old Testament

Waking Life

Matt

Good to see Stevie and Punch Drunk Love getting some decadal love.

Matt, is The Real Old Testament the indie you were referring to? Haven't heard of it. Can you start a thread on it?

Edited by Persona

Are we counting The Lord of the Rings films as seperate films or if we name one we are recognizing all of them?

"The greatest meat of all. The meat of friendship and fatherhood."

The Blue Raft - Are you ready to ride?