A&F Poll Top 10 Films of the Decade

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will go with Jeffrey on this one, although in my own personal Top 10, should they still make the list, they will be lumped together.

I might as well say right now that we'll need to do the same thing for the Kill Bills. And everything else.

Vote by the movie for the sake of this poll.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Yeah, there's the rub: If we grouped the Lord of the Rings films, why not group the Matrix films, the Pirates films, etc? Some of those had overlapping production. I say, if it has opening and closing credits, it's a movie on its own.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

In my mind, Jeffrey's very right about LORD OF THE RINGS. LORD OF THE RINGS were edited separately from one another, each considered as a unique cinematic experience. One may consider them episodes in a series, but they're still independently released and conceived films. Had Jackson edited them in a way to consider the entire, 10 hour experience of them together, then I might be more inclined to see them as a singular entity.

The Fellowship of the Ring (25)

The New World (20)

The Return of the King (11)

The Two Towers (5)

The Dark Knight (7)

The Motorcycle Diaries (6)

Children of Men (7)

Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World (5)

The Incredibles (7)

There Will Be Blood (7)

(Painfully excluded from this list: Pan's Labyrinth, City of God, Broken Flowers, A History of Violence, Gladiator, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Sunshine, Up, Wall-E, The Return, Lars and the Real Girl.)

"The greatest meat of all. The meat of friendship and fatherhood."

The Blue Raft - Are you ready to ride?

Oooh! Man Without a Past! Good one! It'll probably make it onto my "almost list".

That is an excellent one to remember. I can't believe we don't have a thread on it. Might have to see it again, too.

Ok, there's such a large list of films that I'd love to catch up on before posting this list (especially in international cinema), but given time commitments I'm not likely to make a dent in the (virtual) viewing pile before the deadline. So I post this list (awaiting the cry of "Philistine!" at least one of my picks is sure to generate) with the usual caveat that it's my personal list and I reserve the right to change it at any time.

CHILDREN OF MEN - 15

THE DARK KNIGHT - 7

KILL BILL, VOL. 1 - 5

EL LABERINTO DEL FAUNO (PAN'S LABYRINTH) - 5

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - 20

LOST IN TRANSLATION - 8

MULHOLLAND DRIVE - 5

SEN TO CHIHIRO NO KAMIKAKUSHI (SPIRITED AWAY) - 5

STAR WARS: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH -15

THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 15

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

STAR WARS: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH -15

Philistine!

Thank you, Ryan! Now that we got that out of the way...

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Well, we may not be entirely done. A cry of "Philistine!" doesn't quite cut it, given that you not only featured that shoddy mess on your list, but assigned it a higher point count than MULHOLLAND DR. or PAN'S LABYRINTH. It's an almost unforgivable sin. I'm prepared to excommunicate you from the Church of Good Taste.

Edited by Ryan H.

Well, we may not be entirely done. A cry of "Philistine!" doesn't quite cut it, given that you not only featured that shoddy mess on your list, but assigned it a higher point count than MULHOLLAND DR. or PAN'S LABYRINTH, which is an even greater sin. I'm prepared to excommunicate you from the Church of Good Taste.

Well label me something of a heretic then, though I have found myself growing more orthodox as time goes by.

I don't really feel like going into a long song and dance defending the film, but I still fail to find most (not all) criticisms of the film compelling, even as my film tastes grow more sophisticated. For me it stands as a capstone to what is perhaps one of the most fascinating personal film projects of all time, whether you deem it a failure or not. While it's perhaps juvenile of me to talk about the visceral thrill I get from REVENGE OF THE SITH, it's definitely an important film and personal favourite of mine in its envisioning of things I had only dreamed of as a kid. It may lack a certain complexity (I will grant that Lucas's philosophical and political ideas are for the most part incoherent), but I still find it a fairly primal experience and have revisited it enough times for me label it one of my top films of the decade.

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

There's fire and cool laser sword fighting and Darth Vader becomes all burned up, or is that a spoiler? I think it's cool, but that's just me.

Fun for the whole family, IMO

("You know -- For The Kids!!")

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 15

Me and You and Everyone We Know - 14

Lars and the Real Girl - 13

The Station Agent -12

Etre et Avoir (To Be and To Have) - 8

Le Fils (The Son) - 10

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 days - 11

Le Scaphandre et le Papillon (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly) - 7

I Heart Huckabees - 5

Amelie - 5

Forgive me Lost in Translation. Forgive me Synecdoche, New York. Forgive me Ostrov, Dogville, Munyurangabo, Pan's Labyrinth, Into the Wild, Man on Wire. I'm sorry.

Well, we may not be entirely done. A cry of "Philistine!" doesn't quite cut it, given that you not only featured that shoddy mess on your list, but assigned it a higher point count than MULHOLLAND DR. or PAN'S LABYRINTH, which is an even greater sin. I'm prepared to excommunicate you from the Church of Good Taste.

Well label me something of a heretic then, though I have found myself growing more orthodox as time goes by.

Certainly the Star Wars prequels were some of the most important films to come out of Hollywood in the first half of the decade, and Revenge of the Sith was, in my opinion, the best and most important of the three. I'm not unhappy to see it get some mention.

But thank goodness Lucas only directed 2 films this decade or I'd be scared you might vote for him in the director's poll! :P

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

I'm quite convinced that I can't beat you up, Stef. But when it comes to stamina... well, I stayed wide awake through 21 Days Later. But I distinctly remember that the film proved too long, slow, and contemplative to keep you from nodding off. And if *that* film's just too introspective for you, well, I won't try to persuade you of Malick's mastery. ::box2::

I remember that nap, if only his conversation afterward would have been more invigorated from the rest. I think too much introspection, like 21 Days Later provides, lulls Stef to sleep, unless it involves some kind of von Trier grace filled misogyny.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

But thank goodness Lucas only directed 2 films this decade or I'd be scared you might vote for him in the director's poll! :P

I may be crazy, but I'm not that crazy.

Innovator? Yes. Visionary of some sort? Most certainly (though whether he's a mad scientist or a boy enthrall to his dreams, I'm not sure). But I don't think he deserves much accolades specifically as a director in the 2000s (though ask me sometime about his output in the 70s).

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

I remember that nap, if only his conversation afterward would have been more invigorated from the rest. I think too much introspection, like 21 Days Later provides, lulls Stef to sleep, unless it involves some kind of von Trier grace filled misogyny.

HA! <_<

::duel::

OK, I took the first steps on getting this list done. Stef, if I don't post a finished version by a week before the deadline would you remind me again? :)

There are seven "definitely"s. Contending for the 3 final spots are 11 that I need to see again, and 7 that are so highly recommended that I really ought to see them first.

There is one of the 18 contenders that I really, really hope that I still love on third viewing: Lady in the Water. I was a little frightened by how strongly some others dislike it, but gosh if it isn't such a beautiful movie.

FWIW, the seven definites are these: (and I'm not guaranteeing that none will fall off, but these seem pretty safe)

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Spiderman 2

Ratatouille

Spirited Away

The Miracle Maker

Into Great Silence

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Anders, if I wasn't putting Spiderman 2 on there, I might consider Star Wars Episode III. I'm surprised it would need a defense, it is a very well-crafted action story.

That's just how eye roll.

Stef, if I don't post a finished version by a week before the deadline would you remind me again? :)

Actually, yeah, I probably will. I've been keeping a pretty tight eye on these threads. But you know that the actual votes don't take place here, right?

Into Great Silence

You are more of a man than I'll ever be.

This is making a lot of lists though. I'm a chicken to even try. Seems like Russian Ark turned up to eleven. [yawn - snore.]

Edited by Persona

Regarding list-making in general: if I was the only one making a list, I wouldn't have any use for it, because I don't think that much of my opinion. But as part of the group, I think it might be useful as a thought-provoker and conversation-starter. I know it's already provoking my brain. In a good way of course. smile.gif

Edit: stef, if my then-7-year-old sister could watch Into Great Silence, then you can. Buck up sir. wink.gif

Edited by David Smedberg

Stef, if I don't post a finished version by a week before the deadline would you remind me again? smile.gif

Actually, yeah, I probably will. I've been keeping a pretty tight eye on these threads. But you know that the actual votes don't take place here, right?

Er, now I feel dumb. Where do I vote, then? I thought that was what the subtitle of the thread said!